S-Tronic gearboxes

Agent_Trig

Reaction score
I've been told that the DSG gearboxes are twin clutch paddle types which come under the name of S-Tronic.

Is this true?

Would you rate this kind of box better than a proper manual?

My current car (FTO) has a Tiptronic gearbox and my main gripe with this is that it zaps about 20bhp from the wheels.

Is the same to be said of the S-Tronic box?

Never driven an A3/S3 with a manual but there fine and actually a little quicker to 60 with S-Tronic.

Manuals will be a thing of the past before long (can of worms opend) ;)

Never driven an A3/S3 with a manual but there fine and actually a little quicker to 60 with S-Tronic.

Manuals will be a thing of the past before long (can of worms opend) ;)

Are all S-Tronic A3's fitted with DSG paddles?

A torque converter is what robs the engine power in automatic trans.

S-tronic (commonly known as dual clutch or double clutch) does not use a torque converter, rather two clutches, one for even and one for odd gears. It uses vey little engine power -to run the oil pumps (in wet clutches)
-and the hydraulics that change cogs

Is it better than manual? In my opinion YES
-more economical (6th gear can be very tall for cruising)
-can be driven in either manual (change gears yourself) or fully automatic mode
-does not need replacing every 60,000miles
-very smooth shifts in automatic mode
-power to the wheels is not interrupted when changing gear, hence faster than manual
-some systems blip the throttle for you, so you get lower gears without heel n toe'ing

Disadvantages
-more expensive to specify but adds resale value later
-expensive repairs if there is a malfunction
-servicing is expensive
-slight delay when changing gear in some situations

If you're thinking of specifying one, take one out for a testdrive. I haven't driven an Audi with DSG, but driven a Porche with PDK and its mindblowingly good. Better than a manual for a daily car

There may be slight revisions to the gearbox internals, but afaik it was just a rename, so Yes they are the same. Don't confuse one with a standard automatic gearbox that needs a lifetime to change gear, these are far superior to that, purist will argue you can't beat a manual box, but IMO the dsg is fantastic!

DSG = S-tronic = DSG = S-tronic = DSG = S-tronic

just to clear up any confusion

I agree with all thats said except the expensive to service bit. They require an oil change at 40k miles but thats about it.

I agree with all thats said except the expensive to service bit. They require an oil change at 40k miles but thats about it.

It's £170 each time though so not insignificant, having said that its pretty infrequent.

It's £170 each time though so not insignificant, having said that its pretty infrequent.

Quite agree, not trying to be difficult. Most people will only need to do it once in their ownership. I was told they were expensive to service when i bought mine 4 years ago and had visions of them needing adjustments or a partial strip when i heard the word "service".....lol so i was just pointing out its just an oil change/filter.. all be it about 6-7 ltr's :)

When I look at the interior photos of S-Tronic A3s, I can never see the paddles behind the steering wheel.

Are they tiny or something?

From what I can see, the 2.0 TDI 170 bhp DSG is more commonly referred to as S-tronic rather than DSG, and the 140bhp is called the DSG.

I asked this question when I first signed up on here, they are both the same.

Its a truly fantastic gearbox, i'd never have manual again! I paid less than £100 from an Indi garage for my oil change and I cant even feel it when it changes!

I will depends on the car, but DSG rocks, one of my fav things about my car :wub:

hmm i'd be tempted to agree, but i think any car worth it's salt nowadays will have a decent automated gearbox of some description

If it was an R8, manual ADL for me...

but that's because R-tronic is crap (supposedly - i've never driven an R8). anyhow i reckon the next gen R8 will have a variant of S-tronic. if the RS5 has it and basically has the same engine then it can cope with the power - not sure if it's compatible with the rear engine quattro layout tho

When I look at the interior photos of S-Tronic A3s, I can never see the paddles behind the steering wheel.

Are they tiny or something?
bcuz these flappy paddles turn with the steering wheel, you don't need humongous ones like on the ferrari 458, which goes almost all the way around. it will not suit the guidos west of atlantic that drives with one hand at the 12 olcock position, nor the guidos east of atlantic that drives with fingers at 6 oclock position, nor for shuffle steerers, who almost always have their hand in the 9-11 and 1-3 oclock position, no matter where the actual position of the steering wheel is. But for drivers who always has steer with their hand on the 9 and 3 oclock position of the steering wheel when it is pointing straight and never release it unless the steering wheel has to turn so much, the size of the flappy paddles is fine.

Only time I have an issue with the placement of the padles is when making a sharp turn at a T-Junction, the gearbox will upshift when you hit the redline anyway, but that can be a bit noisey in a TDi.

Paul

I took you off ther ignor list and put you in the corner with a pointy hat on. :lmfao: