Would you buy a new A3 now?

The Cardinal

For the love of cars
Reaction score
I'm really happy with my A3 - but it'll be 5 years old this year and I either need to spend a few bob on some routine maintenance (cambelt, quattro oil etc) or change cars.

Looking around, the A3 is still a really convincing "on paper" buy at the moment and a better spec A3 costs less than the equivalent Golf GTi / GTD for example.

The biggest issue for me is that the A3 is getting close to replacement and I guess a factory-order A3 in my spec would also take 3+ months to arrive. However, the next gen A3 probably won't be readily available until mid-2012 and will almost certainly be more expensive. If I keep my current A3, then some of the deposit money for my next car would also be swallowed-up in maintenance costs.

If I went with a new TDi 170 quattro today, then it would cost me about £500 more to run over 2 years - taking into account all costs compared to my current 2.0T quattro. That's very close!

Given that above, what would you do?

i would stick with what you have and just save until new model comes out
you have looked after it so you should have no problems with it

Id end up buying a GTD but then I'm impatient and they won't release any nice models to start in the new A3.

It's a tough one really... If you still like your car and you know it's history then I would say pay out for the cam belts and keep it up together. Don't skimp on these things as it could effect your resale value.

If you really do want a new car, then I would go to the dealers and just get a feel for lead times. You don't say what model you would be after but Sport and S-Lines are coming through in the normal 3 month window but Black Eds are still 6-9 months at least.

As for waiting for the new model, I would wait until it's been out a while. I would of been annoyed if I had bought one of the first A4's to find a year later they had fitted LED rear lights and generally made the earlier ones a bit dated. Just my opinion though.

If it doesn't have to be brand new then there are good demo to be had. No VAT to pay on demos and generally a good few thousand off of new price...

Hmm... thanks chaps.

I certainly wouldn't skimp on maintenance on my current A3 and it's still only got 20k on the clock - so it's definitely the best starting point for keeping an "older" car. It sounds as if the decision is whether I keep it for quite a while yet, because the 2011/12 A3 won't be available / optimum for some time.

I've always got my eye on the used ads - but you'd be surprised how few cars have some of my "essentials" like leather, xenons, Bose and auto lights / wipers.

I'd do what we are doing and buy a Tdi 170 Quattro now... The new model will not be available for a year or so, the model spec you want probably will not be a launch spec. The current model is proven and there are bargains to be had too.

ive got my a3 on order (ordered friday) and im waiting for the dealership to find out what week build it will be and then its about 12 to 14 weeks till delivery.

not much help but gives you an idea on delivery times

I am in the same boat mate. My A3 is years old and they don't even make it anymore which is why i have kept it so long. I would replace yours now if thats what you want and do not worry about what will come along in a couple of years. Fact is whatever it is it will be way over priced if the VW range is anything to go by so an A3 now could be a bargain. Audi's are notoriously poorly speced so trying to find one with the extras you want could take you a life time. I have an alert set with the Audi site should a S3 come up with S-tronic and comfort pack but i have had nothing in 3 months !!. The idea of spending £30k on a second hand car then having to splash out extra for proper head lights and cruise not to mention basics like a map light or a puddle light ..lol.. More to the point who spent £35k on these cars new and didn't add a lighting pack for £90 ?...or cruse for £250 ?......daft !!
Buy what you want now mate...you dont know what might happen in a couple of years time.

What dont you like about the facelift Nat ? to be honest i still prefer the split grill but thats just me :)

My brothers ordered a new one, and thats come through in around 3 - 4 months. Personally, I would only really want the Black Edition now, as everything else is too much like the A3 I already have, and even though I love the A3, Im not waiting 6 - 9 months for one! So, Ive started looking at BMW... :undwech:

My brothers ordered a new one, and thats come through in around 3 - 4 months. Personally, I would only really want the Black Edition now, as everything else is too much like the A3 I already have, and even though I love the A3, Im not waiting 6 - 9 months for one! So, Ive started looking at BMW... :undwech:

BMW are in the same boat. Lead time are shocking at the moment. If you want a 3 series touring they are on a year waiting list just as an example...

What dont you like about the facelift Nate?

I don't like the OVERSIZED, RIDICULOUSY MASSIVE wing mirrors for a start, I dislike the LED running lights, and at night the xenons and leds together just don't look right, it ain't cuttin it for me, so no facelift happening on my car! Although I've taken most bits from the new interiors though! :laugh:

The most tacky things about the new cars are the LED lights. Why do they have a pattern? Facelift Q7? Seriously?

The worst are beemers though. Saw a new 5 series recently with those angel eyes in bright blu'ish light. It looked seriously chavvy like some £5 tacky addon from halfrods.

Personally prefer porsche & mercedes LED's, just a strip at the bottom thats not too "in your face"

I don't like the OVERSIZED, RIDICULOUSY MASSIVE wing mirrors for a start, I dislike the LED running lights, and at night the xenons and leds together just don't look right, it ain't cuttin it for me, so no facelift happening on my car! Although I've taken most bits from the new interiors though! :laugh:

dumbo mirrors are gone now for MY11. Audi must have been reading 09 owners reactions on here to them!

The most tacky things about the new cars are the LED lights. Why do they have a pattern? Facelift Q7? Seriously?

The worst are beemers though. Saw a new 5 series recently with those angel eyes in bright blu'ish light. It looked seriously chavvy like some £5 tacky addon from halfrods.

Personally prefer porsche & mercedes LED's, just a strip at the bottom thats not too "in your face"

have you seen the new range rover ones? a circular pattern and a weird half moon! When they are following you they just look randomly placed like stars in the sky!!

Thats a good question, but like others have said good spec a3's might not be available at launch time, question is when will the next s3 come out???! :D

guys, how long after the new a3's release (2012) would you reckon the current a3 starts to look dated? such a wierd thing i have about my cars looking fresh! lol ! ?????

If you can find the spec you want I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with getting a new A3, but I can't say I'd go for one. I'd probably wait for a new model, or go for the Mk6 Golf GTD. it's not quattro'd but I dunno it just seems like a better car to me, and I love the way the Mk6 GTI/GTD looks :wub:

Well firstly, despite it being eight years old, I think the A3 still more than holds its own against the competition. Ask yourself what you'd have instead - the Focus/Astra/Golf don't really compare and the 1-series looks like a shoe ;) They've also done a decent job in keeping it up to date with refreshes both inside and out.

All that said, I wouldn't be spending my own money on one now with a replacement due next year. Whilst there's no problem with the car per se, the fact remains that the used value will plummet when the new model arrives, to say nothing of being "stuck" driving an "old model" from then-on.

Mine is only two months old but then it's a company car so not my money and, even so, I made sure it was only on a two year lease so it'll be up for renewal in November 2012, when the new model should be fully on-stream.

I called in to my dealers today and spoke to the Sales Manager and he says that the 'new' A3 will not be released until at least the middle of 2012 and will probably be available to order in the UK in late 2012 or early 2013.

Audi will be releasing the Q3 at this years Frankfurt Motor Show in September.

Interesting - I guess that if the Q3 is unveiled in September, then the new A3 will probably be after that. Incidentally, the Q3 rides on the "old" platform as used by the A3 8P and Golf Mk5/6, so they can't be that far ahead with the new platform that will underpin the next A3 and Golf Mk7 then?

There still hasnt been any confirmed release date of the a3 has there?? does that mean its still some time away or will it be released suddenly?? it hasnt been revealed at any motor show which is the norm before a new model gets released

count yourself lucky with your 20k car.. I've got a 127k+ 55reg to try and sell off at some point.

Interesting discussion I am not sure wheter to pick up something second hand or wait for the new platform. I am bit worried there has been no news on the new platform but then again look how hush hush the RS3 release was and then all of a sudden bang its there!

I called in to my dealers today and spoke to the Sales Manager and he says that the 'new' A3 will not be released until at least the middle of 2012 and will probably be available to order in the UK in late 2012 or early 2013.

Audi will be releasing the Q3 at this years Frankfurt Motor Show in September.

There's a recent rumour article on World Car Fans, which says that the new A3 will debut at the Frankfurt show, and the new A3 saloon will be previewed in Geneva (as a concept):
Audi Q3, Q5 Hybrid and A3 Sedan Concept to debut in Geneva - rumors

If true, then it could be available in early 2012.

If true, then it could be available in early 2012.

NNNNNNoooooooooooooo noo noo noo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Early 2013 will do nicely please as mine will be 21/2 years old by then which just fits in nicely for a swop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NNNNNNoooooooooooooo noo noo noo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Early 2013 will do nicely please as mine will be 21/2 years old by then which just fits in nicely for a swop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Update:
My local dealer also says late 2012 or early 2013 for the new A3 in the UK, which agrees with Dave R's info.