2.0tdi cylinder heads issues

_GRP_

Q3 S-Line
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Hope to be purchasing a 2006 (56) A3 Sportback S-Line but getting concerned regarding issues with the cylinder head mentioned in the FAQ's. Does anyone know if cracked cylinder heads were a recall or fixed under warranty? George

Hi Guys.

Hope to be purchasing a 2006 (56) A3 Sportback S-Line but getting concerned regarding issues with the cylinder head mentioned in the FAQ's. Does anyone know if cracked cylinder heads were a recall or fixed under warranty? George

Generally I think initially Audi denied the problem ! I have read about exceptional cases that were fixed but there was no recall and few successful warranty claims.

However, I have a 2005 reg (2006MY) with BKD engine and that is ok (touchwood). The early engines (suffix A)were very susceptible to porosity and many cracked. The middle ones, like mine (suffix B) were mostly ok and the later ones (suffix C) were almost all ok.

If you're looking at 56 reg then it will be a 2007MY and is most likely to be ok in my opinion.

It only happened to the 2.0 litre tdi BKD engine.

I have a 56 plate and owned it for just over 14 months, done just under 20k in that time and have had the cam belt changed with no problems so far. You should be ok regarding cracked cylinder heads as i'm sure most of them were slightly earlier models as mentioned above. just make sure you get vehicle checked over properly before purchase.

Thanks Guys, thinking an AA Inspection maybe an idea just to confirm all OK mechanically.

You should do a block/gas test prior to purchase.

Use a testing kit to draw/sniff the gas in the coolant tank. If co2 is present the tester liquid will change colour.

If there is an amount of co2 in the coolant tank you may have an issue.

Take the car for an extended drive then test the system.

To change the head inc cams, fresh cam belt water pump (gen Audi parts) etc is iro £1200 here.

Last edited:
It is the older 2.0 tdi engines that had the fault, approx 2004 - 2005. Another tell tale is it needs the coolant topping up often. As said above get it tested. I was unlucky with mine and it was also out of warranty. It cost loads to fix with Audi but they offered a £500 good will gesture off my £2k bill.