Battery run down again ????

dvdk

Reaction score
Hi guys... i have problem with battery and dont know what kind of problem cuold it be... I own s3 8p 2007, and 11 months ago my battery died and i change it. And today my car started at the second turn, and again it seems like battery is running down...i´ve been driving yeasterday morning so battery should be charged, and temperature was about 0 degrees of celsius at night... Do u have any experiences with that? is there something i should measure to find where´s the problem and what causes my battery went down so quick??? thanks a lot..

Get it tested before warrenty runs out. I had a Bosch one go like that, lasted 4 months and just went down hill over a day or so till it wouldn't charge at all

How do you know it's the battery ? What actually happens when you say it's run down ?

Good cold starting and bad hot starting is a classic sign that the starter motor is on it's way out !

If that is your symptom then there could be nothing wrong with the battery.

i think its battery because at cold start i have a problems and sounds exactly like your battery lost life :) and after i started a motor and then turn off, it starts normally... its not starter, its not electronic, its battery in my opinion. hot start is perfect... but i´d like to know why new battery is low capacity after 11 months, it sucks...

Have you got Bluetooth fitted as standard ?

I did read somewhere that there was a fault with some Audi Bluetooth modules that caused a larger than acceptable current flow even when the car was switched off. There is a thread on here about it I think.

Sorry - can't help otherwise.

no, i have nothing installed in car after production except a new seats, but that´s definietly not a source of problem :) i will change battery again and will hope it will be much better battery than second one..

You need to get a drop test done on that battery. Basically it needs a heavyish load across it and someone to measure the voltage drop. If that proves ok then get your alternator output checked.

you might also like to check your chassis earth as a poor earth will limit the current output.

ok, and what numbers during drop test i should see.... whats the best practice in that batteries? i have no idea... thanks

Well you have six 2v cells to give you 12v. On charge you might see 13.5v and maybe running lite.
You should not see a drop much under 11.5 volt under a reasonable load like lights and ignition on. If the drop is down to 10v then its a sure sign you have a dead cell so you have Five cells at 2v.
If you get a garage to test your battery they will put a load across it and see how far/fast the voltage drops and this will show up a shorting/dead cell.

Well you have six 2v cells to give you 12v. On charge you might see 13.5v and maybe running lite.
You should not see a drop much under 11.5 volt under a reasonable load like lights and ignition on. If the drop is down to 10v then its a sure sign you have a dead cell so you have Five cells at 2v.
If you get a garage to test your battery they will put a load across it and see how far/fast the voltage drops and this will show up a shorting/dead cell.

Paddy is right - it sounds like you may have a dead cell.

Did you replace the battery with a brand new one ?

If so, then it is faulty - a new car battery should last at least 5 years without a problem so take it back to the supplier !

paddy. thanks for advice... so, my english isn´t good and my electricity skill is at the freeze point :) as i understand your text, if voltage goes round 10v it means one of 6 cells is dead, if voltage goes to 8v 2 cells are dead. right? this definietly means changing a battery and old one bring to my supplier back....

ok, and now my question: What battery can u suggest to me? because battery i have now is battery which seller recommand me and here is a result.. :( i´m not good at batteries and as i red before maybe VARTA or BOSCH are the best... and, which type? theres a lot of, plenty of batteries and i really dont know which one will fit my car and fit cars parameters... sorry, i am noob in that sphere... thanks a lot guys

Your English is far better than my Slovakian :)

Any branded make of battery should be fine. You have just had very bad luck as long as you are sure it is the battery at fault. My car is on its original battery at 7 years old now.

So did you fit a new battery? If so it is a bad one. !

Do you have a reputable supplier you can go to ?

I suggest that you buy any recognised make of battery that will fit the dimensions and connection positions of your car. The most important thing is to make sure it fits properly.

Varta Silver Ultra Dynamic, its the 1 up from the audi suggested Varta Blue battery that we have in our cars, I upgraded mine to this, supplied by audi aswell.

Buttttt, you need to ideally do as Paddy says, then if battery is ok, you need to find the system thats causing the drop, there are 2 known systems that do this, 1st as Mike has correctly stated the bluetooth, which you dont have & 2nd the radios, not just rns-e, its happened to different radios & on different chassis not just 8P, so battery test 1st, then systems tests.

Paddy has the original RS3 battery :p

Hi guys, i've recently replaced my battery with a Varta Silver as my previous one was struggling to start the car. Now after only a month i seem to have the same issue where battery seems like it is draining. I scanned it on VCDs and have found a fault with bluetooth - intermitant signal. This was not there before, is my bluetooth draining my battery. If so can i just disconnect the module until i find a replacement? Also is it safe to trinkle charge the car battery in-situ without disconnecting the terminals. thanks in advance

Yeah BT modules can cause this.

I may have a used 1 available soon.

I would disconnect, then charge battery up fully without terminals on, then try to see if problem has gone, grab yourself a ctek charger, brilliant kit.

Thanks Nigel. I already have a trickle charger which seems to do the business so will charge it over the weekend. Is there particular versions of the bluetooth module that have this fault so i can check which version i have.

For future reference BlueSpark it is perfectly ok to trickle charge your battery with the terminals connected. I agree with Nige that for test purposes it will be necessary to get the battery fully charged without terminals connected but, once sorted, should you need to trickle charge it can be done in-situ (via the cig lighter if you have the plug )

Call me anal but as nothing in life is guaranteed, I always like to disconnect so in the event of a short or electrical issue, it doesnt filter through the car systems, but each to there own & with modern cars you'd like to think its cool :)

Thanks Mike and Nigel. I will try and sort it out over the weekend. Once again thanks for your quick and sound advice guys.