Driving in the Rain

A3-ALF

Reaction score
Just a couple of observatons I've noticed with my car and wondered if anyone else has similar problems.
First one I've noticed is at certain speeds, most noticably 70mph when it raining, it's almost impossible to use the drivers door mirror because the way the water from the windscreen swirls around the side window making it well nigh useless.
Secondly when I have my wipers set to intermittant, also have a rain sensing windscreen, if the rain is heavy the rain sensor works fine if anything can be a bit OTT with jumping straight to full speed at times. But if the rain is not that heavy but a lot of spray I've noticed that the sensor doesn't really work too well and the screen can be really obscured before the wipers come on.
This made me think how does the sensor work and was wondering if it needs heavy rain drumming on the screen to make it kick in because it seems like fine spray which can quickly build up and obscure your vision doesn't seem to trigger it too well.

Any thoughts?

Alan

Use a rain repellant on the windows mate, as for auto-wipers = Pants

as smoothie said rain sensors are pants... i must say though i had a new windscreen fitted and the auto wipers have got even worse so maybe you've had a new w/s at some point!

it's dependent on the quality of the blades as well - if they can't clean the sensor properly they don't know what to do

both of those things are common faults on the A3 tho. you aren't alone lol

Use Rain-x and then you wont need your wipers on as rain just flies off the windscreen

I'm pretty sure the sensor is optical. Make sure the wiper blade is in good condition where it wipes the sensor. I don't have auto wipers but i did on my last Peugeot and they were spot on :)
Rain -x is ok until you switch your wipers on then it tends to fog for a second after the wipe

I think the auto wipers are fantastic - I've got the sensitivity adjustor on the wiper stalk, so you can have them coming on at the merest spot of rain, or wait until the screen is pretty soaked. Must admit I have it more towards the "coming on early" end of the adjustment.

First had auto wipers on a Pug 406 Coupe back in 1998, and they worked really well then, although no sensitivity adjustor back then.

Last edited:
I've got the auto wipers and agree that they dont work very well with fine rain/spray. Also visibility with the side mirrors I find generally poor when its raining, regardless of speed

I love my auto wipers, they were brilliantly!