S3 Suspension mystery

Sugs

Reaction score
I've had the S3 for about 9 months now and pretty chuffed with it with the exception of the ride. I expected a hard ride but have always thought mine way beyond that even. Every cats eye, rut and small pothole rattled my fillings and the speed bumps at work, unless taken at a crawl, would cause the car to thump down with a crash.

Googling and looking on here I'd concluded that's just how they are and I'd have to live with it, although there were the odd story about playing with tyre pressures to improve it and dealers 'leaving transit packing in the springs' on delivery.

Anyway, getting to the point, it went to the dealer for 1st Oil Change yesterday and it's come back transformed, literally. It's still firm but now much, much plusher than before. I first noticed it on the speed bumps this morning - no crash, left work tonight at faster than normal speed and the car just glided over them so I'm not imagining it, the difference is massive.

What have they done??? There's no note on the job card or the invoice. I'm going to try ringing tomorrow to see if I can find out but wondered if anyone has any ideas.

I was seriously thinking about selling it in the summer as I just couldn't live with the ride but now I'm a very happy chappy.

Stock S3 is not what I would consider harsh ride.

Sounds something has been `wrong`, and now its not.
Transit blocks could be likely culprit.

paul

Just had a response from the mechanic who serviced it. Confirmed that he noticed the transit blocks were all still in place from delivery so removed them.

9 months of unnecessary suffering but how happy am I now!

ok daft question, but would have 9 months riding around on transit blocks damaged anything?
id be kicking up a serious fuss if it were you

Main damage has been to my fillings and my marriage ("WTF have you bought a car like this for?").

Can't help thinking I'm a bit of a prat for not at least asking it to be checked over in that time but, as I say, I'd read lots about 'Audi ride quality' and was thinking 'they weren't joking were they?'.

haha id just keep an ear out for any knocks
the S3s handle really nicely, its just the slines that are a bit crashy

I'd go back to them and play the safety card, i.e. "your error means I've been driving around with dangerous suspension for 9 months which would have affected the hnadling and more importantly the braking", and see what freebies you can get. Might get a free service at least by way of apology for putting your life in danger!

Mine is quite bad but its a 57 so it cant be this can it? Whst else should i check for?

Mine is quite bad but its a 57 so it cant be this can it? Whst else should i check for?

What tyre pressures are you running? Mine was rock solid when I bought it and found out that the tyres were vastly overflated! Lowered them down to the normal amount and it was much better

Main damage has been to my fillings and my marriage ("WTF have you bought a car like this for?").

Can't help thinking I'm a bit of a prat for not at least asking it to be checked over in that time but, as I say, I'd read lots about 'Audi ride quality' and was thinking 'they weren't joking were they?'.

Lol. I can't believe you went 9 months before mentioning it to the garage.

S3 actually rides better than my Golf and previous 330d M Sport (run flats were the culprit!)

What tyre pressures are you running? Mine was rock solid when I bought it and found out that the tyres were vastly overflated! Lowered them down to the normal amount and it was much better

I'm running 36 or 39 can't remember lol

It says on inside of petrol cap its something like 39 fronts and 35 rears