Sky InsuranceVolks Autos

Thread: Bose? eh?

Lord of War

Status

Bose? eh?

I ordered the Bose upgrade for the new mota but never really questioned what it was comprised of. I'm guessing all the speakers a re different but are there any more? is there a sub? amp? etc.

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_apcourtenay

Re: Bose? eh?

there is a sub in the boot (depends on the model though i guess) and i presume there's a amp etc but not totally sure. don't think many people on here rate it though, but don't think it's that bad!

Reverse Gear

Status

i'm sure there is a sub and amp in the boot aswell, not sure though, my cousin has bose in his porsche, it sounds pretty good [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

Wouldn't say its not rated. The well revered AndyMac thinks its okay (iirc)

I've got it in my 2001 S3 and too be honest it sounds not too bad for a factory fit jobbie. Can't comment on the 8P install as i've not had an extended listen.

What i think people refer to is that the cost as an optional extra is not really worth it. Certainly in the 8L's. And to be honest i'd agree i with that.
    But it does depend on whether you are the type of person who's gonna take his car apart just after buying it new and stuff new bits in.
    I know if i was buying a new car i'd probably buy it the way i wanted rather than 'butchering' it as soon as i got it.
    As long as your are happy with the sound and i guess you are since you ordered it - (to quote Metallica) "Nothing Else Matters"

Status

Yep theres an amp and sub in there, i think it's about 196 watts or similar. Sounds really nice, normally I rip my cars apart as soon as I get them and fill em full of ice but have decided not to bother on the A3 as the Bose is a decent quality setup.

J.

5th Gear

Status

awww - thats a happy ending [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

I doubt that very much as placing amp and speaker together isn't a good idea because of interference.

still its good to know these guys selling 30k cars know what they are talking about [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

(i'm waiting for the follow to confirm that it indeed has a speaker with amp built on! and that i don't know my arse from my elbow! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    The911SC said:
    I have it coupled with a Sony MP3 cd changer in the glovebox.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did the sony mp3 changer fit in the glovebox?

I'm thinking of getting the sony mp3 changer or a PhatNoise for my sportback. The cd changer will be a lot cheaper and if it fits in the glovebox it should be a lot easier to install. The PhatNoise would probably only fit in the boot somewhere, but the sportback normally has its changer in the glovebox so I reckon there won't be a changer cable&connector in the boot and I would have run new cables to the HU. Not the kind of job I would want to do on my brand new car (picking it up tomorrow!). The glovebox seems a lot easier option providing the Sony changer fits in there of course.

1st Gear

Status

Eeef,
    new A3's (8P) set-up includes a sub and amp in non-bose guise also. think it's about 140watts in non-bose.
    I demo'd both - Bose equipped motor first, and was reasonably impressed, and thought the 355 was good value.
    however the next demo car i got my hands on whilst trying to decide between dsg & non-dsg, didn't have bose. Whilst there was slight improvement with bose, i didn't feel the difference was 355-worth, and decided to use the money instead for a Phatbox, which is winging it's way from the US at this very moment!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ian Logendra said:
    What i think people refer to is that the cost as an optional extra is not really worth it. Certainly in the 8L's. And to be honest i'd agree i with that.
    But it does depend on whether you are the type of person who's gonna take his car apart just after buying it new and stuff new bits in.
    I know if i was buying a new car i'd probably buy it the way i wanted rather than 'butchering' it as soon as i got it.
    As long as your are happy with the sound and i guess you are since you ordered it - (to quote Metallica) "Nothing Else Matters"

[/ QUOTE ]
    I'd agree with this sentiment. Whilst I've not had any experience of listening to a Bose system, my previous car, a Focus ST170, also had tweeters, a sub and an amp as part of an option pack. It was never going to set any new standards in sound quality, but even so it was much better than standard and being all factory assembled and warranted meant zero hassle.

However, the system came with a pack which included leather Recaros - which I really wanted - otherwise I may not have bothered with it separately. If you're that keen on your sounds, you'd probably already have experience of proper ICE installs, so taking your car to bits should hold no fear.

Incidentally, our Sportback has the Symphony 6 CD upgrade and the quality is very good - I don't regret leaving Bose out.

Reverse Gear

Status

i know this may seem like a really odd question but what is the phatnoise? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

Check this out
    http://www.phatnoise.com
    Basically its a unit which you can connect to from your headunit instead of your cd changer (it replaces it- cant have both) and play mp3s from. it has a removable cartidge in various size 20/40/80gigs which you can remove from the car and connect to your pc via USB cable (actually a docking station) to transfer songs to and from.
    Cheers
    Ian

5th Gear

Status

I'll try and take some pics and post them here shortly.
    You can buy the sony mp3 changer now for 140 new (www.dabs.com) and that gives you 6 cd's of mp3's (about 4 -5 albums per disk).
    Its not as good as Phatnoise since it can be confusing when you have that much music on cd's and no announcemments nut its a lot cheaper.
    You will also need the autoleads mads001 adaptor available from car hifi shops.

Lord of War

Status

I was planning on changing the head unit fairly soon after buying it, hence why I only specced the concertII. I'm planning on sticking one of these in it. It takes MMC/SD cards so for the size of a postage stamp you've got 20 albums on a 1gb or 40 albums on the new 2gb cards.
    Would the Bose setup be all right with it? Any adaptors needed?

Lord of War

Status

the new sd's are 60x faster than the old ones so should be fine (worth considering though). I also use SDs in my PDA and camera so do have other uses. I guess I need to find a dealer that can demo one to me, make sure it does the job.

Reverse Gear

Status

thanks for the info ian