16's 17's or 18's (& winter tyres)

ds7_uk

Reaction score
Thanks to contributions on here now the owner of a A3 S line quattro TDi 170 - just over two years old (sept 08)

Has 18" wheels with bridgestone potenza but want another set of wheels for winter tyres. Have read all sorts about caliper sizes etc, and trying to get info from Audi results in monetary units and not SI measurements.

So if you can help with dimensions for

a) PCD
b) offset (and is it +/-)
c) smallest appropriate wheel size

Wheels could likely be steel (better for all those potholes through winter) but alloys are possible. Not bothered about looks, car already covered in winter salt before noon on a Monday at the moment!

If anyone has recommendations for winter tyres would be interested to hear - michelin alpin will no doubt be ok and good value when costco discount comes around again, so likely to be my preferred, as they usually turn out to be a good tyre

thanks in anticipation of replies.

cheers

Darren

pcd for a3's are 5x112 not to sure on the standard et tho soz most aftermarket wheels are et 45 dont know if that helps

Nothing too fancy........have 5 spoke at the moment, so something similar would be fine, like the double clustered 5 spoke, but as i said, steel wheels black would do,

its the dims i'm really after so if you could help that would be great

thks

I have an A3 S-Line Quattro 170 currently on steels.

Front brakes will be 312mm, rears 286mm (I think)

16" is the smallest you can go to.

I think my steels are 5x112 - ET50 - 6.5J

Mytyres.co.uk is probably your best option, you can buy a full steel wheel and tyre package for around £500 depending on tyre choice.

Assuming they are 312mm's I'd pick up some cheap 16/17" Alloys from ebay and buy the tyres online.

I've seen sets of 16" A3 alloys sell for 50quid before.

As for tyres, Dunlop WinterSport 3D's are where its at. We've got them on ours (in 225/45r17), and they won the "best winter tyre" in the tyre awards here: 2010 Tyre Reviews Awards - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide

mytyres.co.uk I bought a set of "Continental WinterContact TS 830 205/55 R16 91T" on black steelies for my sportback, £615. I live in France and went up to a ski resort in the alps yesterday, had snow on the roads all the way up and past too many cars putting snow chains on, made it all the way to the top. 110% recommend a set of these!

I got a set of the Conti WinterContact TS810 S, and they performed brilliant during a very snowy December