Sportback 09 rear lights

b19ctr

The King of Cannock
Reaction score
I've got a set of 09 rear lights for my Sportback and just wondered if anyone knew that parts were needed to wire them up on my 07.

I don't want to go down the adaptor route as it makes the inner lights dim. I think this is due to the feed coming from the reg plate light.

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Chris

I've got a set of 09 rear lights for my Sportback and just wondered if anyone knew that parts were needed to wire them up on my 07.

I don't want to go down the adaptor route as it makes the inner lights dim. I think this is due to the feed coming from the reg plate light.

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

Chris

I have the Kufatec loom on my 09 lights and they are all the same brightness. We have a MY10 Sportback with them fitted from factory and mine are as bright and look the same. No difference....

I have the Kufatec loom on my 09 lights and they are all the same brightness. We have a MY10 Sportback with them fitted from factory and mine are as bright and look the same. No difference....

My last 2 cars had kufatec harness's for the led tails with 0 problems as well

ah ok guys thanks for that i was told that the inner lights would be dim but if that's not the case I'll go that route :)

Yes that is the harness that you will need to make them work.
Mine are working for almost 2 years without problems

Also you can find on e-bay the harness
14102008593.jpg

Out of interest, where did you get your rear lights?

Got mine off ebay there coming up more and more often now as the cars are over a year old and a few in the scrappers look for the lights but also look for A3's being broken and email the seller.

Just as a matter of interest mate I've had a look at that link and at the bottom it says 'not suitable for right hand drive'

Does it mean exactly that or does it mean not suitable for driving on the right ?

Presumably, if it's right hand drive then the rear fog is on the wrong side ? Can the looms not just be reversed ?

It doesn't make any difference on the sportback as it has two reversing lights and two fog lights. The 3 door facelift lights are left or right hand drive dependant...

A couple of questions:

1). Are the loom plugs the same for the old and new style lights?
2). If the loom is used or a manual rewire done I really cant understand why coding needs to be performed as surely you wire up what needs to light up with what 12v feed from the car??

It doesn't make any difference on the sportback as it has two reversing lights and two fog lights. The 3 door facelift lights are left or right hand drive dependant...

Just looking at the link again and taking your comment into consideration - why then do they say 'not suitable for right hand drive' when the advert is specifically for the sportback ?

Just looking at the link again and taking your comment into consideration - why then do they say 'not suitable for right hand drive' when the advert is specifically for the sportback ?

Prob just copied and paste the text.

Do the new lights need to be coded through VCDS in order to work or are they just plug and play with the wiring harness?

Also you can find on e-bay the harness
14102008593.jpg

Love that photo sportback rearlights are a win.

A couple of questions:

1). Are the loom plugs the same for the old and new style lights?
2). If the loom is used or a manual rewire done I really cant understand why coding needs to be performed as surely you wire up what needs to light up with what 12v feed from the car??

1. No dont think they are the same thats why you need the new loom.
2. You need to code the lights so the above section (in the picture above) actually lights up as the car wouldnt be programmed to do them.
As on the old lights you dont get the led.

This is what I don't get, is the harness just to go from one type of adapter to another then?

Yes but it also rewires the lights wiring so the new lights work. Remember, your current lights don't have the LED part that lights up as the side lights, as it's done by the bulbs on the original lights.

Plus, you have to change the coding so the car knows what to light up and when. The bulbs in the lights are single filement bulbs. It's the car that determines the brightness when you turn the lights on or the brake lights are required using one bulb. This is why the coding is required otherwise the bulbs will still show as your tail lights and not the LED rings as the car won't know they are there. Also on the new lights the brake lights are both bulbs not just one as in the original lights. Again changed through the coding...

Yes but it also rewires the lights wiring so the new lights work. Remember, your current lights don't have the LED part that lights up as the side lights, as it's done by the bulbs on the original lights.

Plus, you have to change the coding so the car knows what to light up and when. The bulbs in the lights are single filement bulbs. It's the car that determines the brightness when you turn the lights on or the brake lights are required using one bulb. This is why the coding is required otherwise the bulbs will still show as your tail lights and not the LED rings as the car won't know they are there. Also on the new lights the brake lights are both bulbs not just one as in the original lights. Again changed through the coding...

Ah that makes sense now, dint know that the bulbs were single filament, thought they would have been the old 5/21W jobbies.

So based on that fact, does it make it that much harder for a manual rewire or is it just easier to get the looms? Just begrudge spending that amount on a couple of wires and connectors....

Or just ****** :p

Hang about buddy - that question was yesterday and I hadn't had a drink !! :yes:

I have now, but even so I would be interested in your answer to my post #14 ?? edit : and post #18

If that is a mistake then you have to question the credibility of any advert that you reply to - don't you ?? :confused:

Last edited:
Hang about buddy - that question was yesterday and I hadn't had a drink !! :yes:

I have now, but even so I would be interested in your answer to my post #14 ??

If that is a mistake then you have to question the credibility of any advert that you reply to - don't you ?? :confused:

Yeap time to crack open a tinny myself.

TBH its Kufatec, I dont use them for a reason.

The pins are different on left & right side, but, can just swap pins about anyway, I personally rewire from scratch myself.

I cant see how they're doing genuine lights at that price tbh, given the 3dr ones they sell are extremely costly, so these cant be originals, I reckon they've either made a mistake or they're non genuine.

So basically its going to cost £233 for the lights from Stoke Audi then an additional 49Euro for the Kufatec loom?

Cant find the coding for the rear lights.....Anyone got a link to the thread?

Thanks

Does n e 1 know where u can get the coding? Im from the South East, based in Essex. How much wud it cost to Code?

Thanks

Will

Send me a PM mate I can get your coding done for you.

I cant see how they're doing genuine lights at that price tbh, given the 3dr ones they sell are extremely costly, so these cant be originals, I reckon they've either made a mistake or they're non genuine.

I've used them and they come in 4 sealed "Magneti Marelli" boxes, Made in Poland and with the Kufatec plug and play looms (just needs the inner power feed adding) - they look genuine to me! Delivery is very fast too.

I have just negotiated a better price for the SB rears now, just need to work out price with connectors/repair wires, the wires arent cheap thats the killer.