OEM fit RNSE Radio reception rubbish

bugwhizz

Reaction score
Hi All
been searching through old posts and can't really find anything that applies to my predicament.
What i have is a 2005 Audi A3 8p 140 tdi Quattro with factory fit mk1 RNSE with BOSE and ever since buying the car a year ago the radio reception has been none existant.
With radio 1 selected on the tuner it comes on briefly for about 30 secs when on my way to work and this is when i'm at the top of a rather large hill, so the highest point in my journey then the signal fades off to static as i drive back down the other side of the hill.

Basically i just get static and continous tune with no stations coming up on the fm

any help or pointers would be nice, i have the full genuine VCDS so if anyone knows of any measuring blocks etc to help wittle things down that would be great.

Cheers all and sorry if i've overlooked the info if it's already on here, couldn't find any info on anything other than retro fit RNSE, ie not factory fit.

Graeme

Last edited:
Have you really been putting up with this for the last year ??!!!!!!

Yes, i'm afraid i have, moved house and have very little time or money to sort little niggles out, like the rear wiper not squirting aswell.

I had thought about faulty antennas but how do you test them?, is there a measuring block on VCDS, no faults are detected when i run it through a full scan.

Also, it is deffo a factory fit item, the seller informed me of this and i seem to recall checking the cars options out with Audi at some point.

I'm not adverse to getting in there and fixing stuff myself when time permits, it's just with little time i need a few pointers so i can concentrate my efforts rather than waste time.

Any help would be great.
Graeme

Rear window washer not working ? That could be part of the problem

If you can hear the pump going then it's likely the pipe has come off the wiper motor and water is spraying about inside ! It's a wonder you haven't had a problem with the boot catch switch.

Also does your rear window heater/demister work ? The rear screen acts as an aerial and if there is a problem with that it often affects radio reception.

After that mate I'm running out of ideas !!

Thanks for that info mike, i had wondered about that but initially i took the cover panel off in the bootlid/taigate and everything seemed to be dry??, that was a year or so ago though, will be stripping everything back in the boot lid for some serious fault finding, on a side not, the washer pump does operate for the rear wiper and the rear demist works fine??

Is there anything else in the bootlid/tailgate that could be causing interferance?, are there any other components in there?

Any help with regards to VCDS measuring blocks?

Thanks for the info so far, it's been just what i'm after, would like radio now, i think a years been far too long!

Graeme

Cheers Paul
Is the radio antenna defiantely the rear screen de mister element??, are there no receivers or amplifiers in the boot lid??.
I do know the sat nav works a treat and has never caused any probs, just no radio!

Cheers
Graeme

Best thing do do is try another stereo if possible if someone near you has one. The rear heating elements do act as the ariel. Although better looking. Not very efficient. If worst comes to worst you could install a shark fin

no chance of trying another stereo, and mine already has a sharks fin, a friend at vw said that early mk5 golfs had the element in the rear screen as the aerial but thenh they went to sharks fins, is this the same with audi A3's??

gonna strip it down tomorrow, hopefully get the rear wiper washer working at the same time.

Does anybody know how many connections i should have on a sharks fin??, 2? or 3?, will be checking these connections while i'm at it and maybe continuity checking them to the back of the RNSE, anybody any ideas on what figures i should be looking at?

cheers

Graeme

Well, long story short, stripped back the rear wiper motor mechanism and got it all cleaned up, water now squirts but fills the mech with water, so much for a cheap fix , so today i fitted a new wiper motor and mech, works a treat but still no radio.

I rang Audi Leeds and asked what options were fitted to my car and sat nav + Bose were factroy fitted, so i assume the sharks fin roof aerial is a standard fit item aswell.

Everything in the boot lid was dry when i bought the car and originally investigated the faults with no water marks whatsoever and i havn't used the rear squirter in the time i've had the car for fear of filling the tailgate so could it just be the sharks fin thats at fault? and if so, is there any way on vcds of testing the reception through it?, like i've said, the sat nav works perfectly!

Any more pointers would be much appreciated
Graeme