Aftermarket sat nav: opinions

sub39h

Reaction score
Hi guys, hope you're enjoying your wknd!

As some of you know I'm interested in installing RNS-E 2010 to my car. The problem I'm having is that the cost of all the peripherals (iPod integration, BT etc) is making it prohibitive, at least for another couple of months

I've seen this unit, which tbh hasn't at all inspired me away from RNS-E, but I thought it might be right up someone's alley. After all, even tho it's more expensive than a pre 2010 RNS-E you wouldn't need a separate BT module, TV tuner or anything else

Car Audio & Security: Car Stereo, Speakers & Subwoofers, Car DVD Players, GPS and CD Changers

Anyhow, I'd be interested to hear the forum's opinions... and who knows, maybe someone might buy one

Cheers guys,

S.

Last edited:
am sure someone on here fitted one... for all of a few days as it was a pile of wa*k, it then took them pretty much to dismantle the entire dash to get it out as the release clips didnt work

Oh dear, poor chap. At least he was offered a partial refund... Still, a £200 mistake and all that time spent ripping apart the dash!

It's a shame, because the principle is sound - if someone released a HU that looked like it belonged in an 8P, and had it working as per OEM but with better features they'd make an absolute killing

I was contacted little while back by someone who had this unit & wanted to get an rns as this aftermarket unit was crap, so based on this I would steer clear, its got great features which on paper make the rns look poor, but if they dont work well, then pointless waste of money, even if it fits like a glove, to date not had any issues with an rns.

These are (cheap?!) rubbish and wouldn't bother.

Do you use an iPhone Sub?

indeed i do - but before you say anything as a rule i refuse to pay for apps until the iPhone has flash

android-vs-iphone-superheroes.jpg

With Jobs the way he is, that may change in the near future if he doesnt survive.

lmfao, not too sure, may create a rush purchase before they stop manufacturing.

indeed i do - but before you say anything as a rule i refuse to pay for apps until the iPhone has flash

Well I was going to offer a cheap alternative in the meantime, so don't be stubborn!! ;)

I use the TomTom cradle, which isn't cheap but does give you a very good cradle that enhances GPS, has BT handsfree built in and an aux-out. SO I can...

- Listen to all my mp3s through my stereo via aux connection (hardwired in)
- Using the TV Catchup service (free) can watch all freeview channels, with sound out of the car stereo
- Watch DVD's ripped and loaded onto the iphone, through the car stereo
- Use any satnav app (free or paid for) and sound from the car stereo and enhanced GPS
- Digital radio using a radio app (about £1.59)

All in all, it makes a fairly good replacement for not a lot of money. Just a thought.

I was in Car Audio Security in Hayes just yesterday and they themselves said they are an "all in one so get what you get, nothing near the quality of Alpine" and said the Alpine ixa-w407bt with cables and facia would work out cheaper for what I wanted and would look better!

Whilst there's no denying that the RNS-E has its limitations and foibles, I still find the overall integration and functionality streets ahead of any aftermarket unit, to say nothing about the convenience of having satnav "just there" when you need it without having to worry about mounting things on the windscreen and hiding them when you leave the car.

It may be an old unit now but the 2010 model has been updated enough to keep the appearance and functionality right up there and I still find it looks and functions far better than the vast majority of other manufacturer units I've seen. Despite some online criticising it for its limitations or for how old it is, literally everyone who gets in my car and sees one in use for the first time is impressed by it.

I retro fittted RNS-E in my previous A4 B6 saloon, loved it, especially the 2 x memory card slots for MP3 music play back. The entry of destination was a little tedious with all the rotary dial twiddling but not a deal breaker.

That was the one I bought...biggest mistake of my life! Thankfully even though I had to destroy the unit to remove it Paypal sided with me and I had a full refund. I wouldnt recomend one of these to anyone, ever, not even my worst enemy. You had to even buy a seperate adapter in order to have the back speakers working. Also if you wanted the hissing sound to stop from the front speakers then the manufacturer would send you out a resistor that you had to solder in yourself after removing the origional, they also said by doing this you void any warranty you have!

so don't be stubborn!! ;)

tell it to apple lol

I use the TomTom cradle, which isn't cheap but does give you a very good cradle that enhances GPS, has BT handsfree built in and an aux-out. SO I can...

- Listen to all my mp3s through my stereo via aux connection (hardwired in)
- Using the TV Catchup service (free) can watch all freeview channels, with sound out of the car stereo
- Watch DVD's ripped and loaded onto the iphone, through the car stereo
- Use any satnav app (free or paid for) and sound from the car stereo and enhanced GPS
- Digital radio using a radio app (about £1.59)

All in all, it makes a fairly good replacement for not a lot of money. Just a thought.

cheers for the advice, but i'd rather save the money and put it towards a full RNS-E, BT and AMI set up.

i've been seriously considering a Dension Gateway Five as an alternative, but it's functionality isn't 100% so i thought it be best to go for the OEM kit instead

does anyone have RNS-E 2010 and AMI? do you see track names displayed on the HU as well as DIS?

cheers for the advice, but i'd rather save the money and put it towards a full RNS-E, BT and AMI set up.

You're welcome. To be honest, as much as it does the job, it's not as great as having the RNS-e with all the attachments, but like you I was looking for a intermediate solution.

does anyone have RNS-E 2010 and AMI? do you see track names displayed on the HU as well as DIS?

Yes, it displays full track names. You can optionally enable extra track info where it shows you the artist and album of the currently playing track. The AMI also provides a similar interface to the iPod itelf, allowing you to find tracks by Playlist, Artist, Album, Genre, Podcast and so on.

Great thread, Im so glad that iv seen this as I was looking at the same unit purely for the same reasons that the rnse has its limitations as a standard unit and that this one appears to do everything, RNS-E it is then!

Sorry to hijack the thread a little bit, but what is the best ipod set up for the RNS-e so that I can search under artists, albums, songs, or genres and so on?

RNS-E 2010 and AMI from my research

well i'm glad this thread helped someone lol :icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Yeap for sure, mk2 rns & ami of which I can supply.

It doesnt integrate anywhere near as well as the mk2 does.

not the AMI if you want full ipod interface on the older RNSE's the best option is the Alpine plug in unit... but its expensive!

Yeah Iv seen the alpine kc-what ever it is lol, but it just doesnt look oem with that interface, how does the AMI compare in terms of its interface? any links guys?

the only other thing i've been thinking is maybe leaving AMI and going for SD cards, but it would be MUCH better if i could just slot my iPhone into the system and all my (regularly updated) music is there

plus that way the phone gets charged

& lets be honest here, the Iphone battery is fairly crap overall, so any backup PS is good.

indeedy... i've had sony ericssons for years and hardly ever came close to running out the battery

on the iPhone i get to less than 10% every day. winds me right up lol

Yeap same here, SE's have been great on the batteries, but iphone sucks big time, but I never liked the iphone GUI/software as its to restricted & I only got one to play with JB's & unlocking, no dobt that apple HW is very good, reliable but software has always been very poor, so looking for new one now which may be an xperia or galaxy we'll see.

the only other thing i've been thinking is maybe leaving AMI and going for SD cards, but it would be MUCH better if i could just slot my iPhone into the system and all my (regularly updated) music is there

I used the SD cards on my last car with the old-style RNS-E and have now got the 2010 model with AMI. Whilst the SD cards work fine and show track names etc, the problem I found is that you can only browse the file structure on the cards "as is", whereas on the AMI you can browse by Artist, Genre, Album, Playlist, Podcast and so on. Makes it so much easier to find stuff when you have a lot of music.

AMI sounds perfect, its interface is built into the rns-e with the oem look.

NHN - can you pm me a price for the AMI set up please mate?

NHN : i have 2 rnse units at home dont ask why, how will i know one is a mark 1 or 2? one is maufactured in 07 and the other is 04 i guess it will be the 07 one as its newer or was the mark 2 manufactured after 2007? thanks

NHN : i have 2 rnse units at home dont ask why, how will i know one is a mark 1 or 2? one is maufactured in 07 and the other is 04 i guess it will be the 07 one as its newer or was the mark 2 manufactured after 2007? thanks

Mk2 was manufactured after mid 2010. It's the new gen if it has a "MEDIA" button instead of an "CD/TV" button

I would steer clear personally, Pioneer did one too which will be of much better quality but is a little pricey: Car Audio & Security: Car Stereo, Speakers & Subwoofers, Car DVD Players, GPS and CD Changers

looks wise, i think the cheap tat one is better - functionality wise i have no doubt that the Pioneer will be fantasticn but for that kinda money i'd rather save a little more and go RNS-E

there IS a unit for the VW/Seat/Skoda derivatives of the PQ35 chassis that really does look like it belongs in the car. it's made by Kenwood, and it's actually only available thru VW. i just don't understand why they couldn't do something similar for the 8P. lemme see if i can find a link

Kenwood Electronics UK Ltd. | VW/SEAT/

what's more annoying tho is that RNS-510 was better than RNS-E in the first place lol

Last edited: