Any experience of A3 2.0T (3-door ideally) ?

A4_2point4

Reaction score
Dear All,

Does anyone have any experience of the new A3 2.0T FSI (preferably the 3-door version) ?

I currently have an A4 2.4 Sport (2004 model), but I'm running out of space, so need a shorter car. The A3 2.0T would seem to be an ideal replacement, in terms of good torque, refinement, etc, and I would be very interested to hear views and experience.

A further question is "Which one ?". There is a 2WD DSG and 4WD manual. I assume that the chassis is basically the same as the new Golf GTi, which has had rave reviews (in 2WD form). The reviews for the DSG box seem to be very positive too.

TIA

Hi

Just been out in A3 2.0T quattro sportsback. The car seems very good, it handles better than my old TT did in the wet, but I also drove the new Golf GTI this week and I would say that it was faster and handled just as well. I think the GTi seemed faster because of the weight of the quattro system. I'm getting my stealers to give me a price on a SLine 2.0T DSG to compare cost between the two.

I think the GTI is nicer on the outside but the audi is better on the inside.

Just had a test drive today in the quattro version sportback today. I was going to wait for the test drive of the 2.0 TDI as well before making a decision, but after driving the 2.0 T FSI I was totally hooked and ordered it today - a 2.0 T FSI S Line Sportback. The engine probably doesn't have as much torque but there is still enough to use. I pootled around in traffic and happily cruised at 30 in 5th. When I needed to move, there was still enough power to move off, although I am sure if you really needed a fast getaway, dropping down a gear will be better. The sound is less gruff than a diesel as well.

Obviously, you want to test drive the car yourself as we all have differing experiences.

[ QUOTE ]
cejsmith said:

I think the GTI is nicer on the outside but the audi is better on the inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so sure about that! I must be getting old!

Must be the last bit of boy racer in me, 40 next year!!!! Mid life crisis etc!!!

cejsmith

OK...you're forgiven! I passed "GO" a very long time ago! I find it is nice to get on with things with the standard "vanilla" car that has been "tuned". I am also not at the mercy of the "Fashion Police". In this way I can quietly and quickly get away from the boy racers (when safety permits) without drawing the attention of the local Constabulary.

Sorry that was off topic!