How long does a turbo last?

Minstadave

Reaction score
Anyone have a rough idea of the average turbo lifespan on a 2.0T? I've just passed 50k and just wondered if this is something I need to think about.

depends how you drive
what u do tuneing wise
i have a b5 18T remapped at 70k now on 113k still oem turbo

just sold my 8L S3 with 110k and still going strong, remapped for 3 years before sale..... if you look after it by using decent oil etc, you'll be fine

part is in the hands of the gods, the other part is booting it without continuously booting it.....i thrashed mine on a straight then took it easy on the next, heat is the enemy IMO

Thanks for the replys guys, I will try not to worry about it :D

When would it be worth getting a refurb, or would a hybrid be a better idea?

My 2.0TDi is over 125k+ and I'm conscious of the fact it could go.

ive heard of turbos lasting well into 200k's, just stop worrying about - if its an issue then save the money and put it to one side - seriously, a new turbo could go just as fast

Not to put a downer on things, but a good friend of mine has had two die on him. He all ways did the right thing I.e worming up and cooling down. Was driving one day not over excessive but fast and the turbo split in two. The mechanic said he has never seen anything like it in over 30 years of doing the job. That was on a 2.0tdi golf. Second one was on a s3 8L just died on him on the motor way.
The golf had relatively low millage in the 30s I think. The s3 was in the 80s.
Just thought you should know!!

But how often was the golf serviced? IMO the long life servicing is a **** idea, as proven with the old 8L 1.8T motors gumming up

my car had mostly long lifes stamped in the book...i know when you take the engine apart they look trashed inside, never did mine any harm as its still running smooth as a nut

There really is no method to preserve

I never let it cool down, just minded my last 1-2 miles of a journey, the car has a secondary cooling system or the system will remain on after a journey anyway so cooling down isnt a prerequisit anymore

There is no given time scale on how long a turbo will last, its like saying how long should an engine last? some will last a million miles and some will last 1k mile.

lots of factors contribute to how long a turbo and other components last. They are designed to last the engines life or vehicle life. We have turbos at work which do several hundred hours of development testing on dynos with no issues.

The best advice i can give you is to let the turbo cool down after a spanking, there are coolant after run pumps on the 2.0T however the turbo also could do with oil flow as well when the engine is stopped so after a spanking drive the car normally for a mile or so to allow the turbo temperature to come down and stablise.

Hi All

I echo what RobinA3 says you have NO set time or number or spins in the life of a turbo, few key things to remember are.. 1) if you have been running the car hard don’t just stop, switch off and jump out let the turbo spin down and ideal for two min. 2) don't blip the throttle as your turn off the engine. 3) Use GOOD QUALITY OIL and change it as per the service plan and if you’re running lots of mods half the interval between changes, it only adds £50 between services.

The fact about turbo’s is we only have about 5 or 6 mainstream produces such as Garrett (my home town), BorgWarner, Mitsubishi etc and they are found in everything from Audi’s to Volvos. I have owned a 1995 Volvo 850 T5 with a huge high pressure turbo running 2bar that had 180’000 on the clock, our Citroen xantia 1.9TD with 500’000 yes half a million miles (taxi for 9 years) with same engine and turbo. It had lots of clutches, the hydro-spastic suspension replaced and serviced every 6’000 miles.

Summary, don’t rape the turbo by turning up the boost (buy a bigger turbo), warm up and down the engine and use GOOD QUALITY OIL and change it as per the service plan.

Alex

Mines got at 65k, has been remapped since 48K. Serviced every 10k miles or less, but failed as the turbine totally messed up and the housing cracked. Extended periods of WOT with the remap seems to have put too much heat into it.

With failed turbos you really need to incestigate why it has failed, over heating will obviously be due to high exhaust temps which is why the exhaust temps should be measured when a remap is carried out. On some engines a temperature sensor is mounted immune turbo housing which allows the ecu to control this temperature to 950ish degrees for component protection, this is done by fuelling control,ie, adding more fuel to drop the temperatures.

Another reason why turbos can fail is due to a high depression in the intake side of the engine, high restriction in the air filter will make the turbo work harder and stress the compressor side of the turbo which in some cases snaps the shaft.