Lava Grey vs Dolphin Grey (& 3.2 decision advice!)

jon208

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at two very similarly specced cars, both have the open sky roof. One is Lava Grey, the other is Dolphin Grey. From the pictures I'm struggling to tell the difference, I've google some pictures but still can't really tell them apart. Are they the same colour? Is one darker/metallic?

If anyone can provide real life comparison pics then I'd be grateful.

Thanks
Jon

Last edited:
Lava is a much deeper grey, so the metal flakes tend to pop out a bit more. It cleans up BEAUTIFULLY (by clean, I mean washed, polished, waxed), far better than my Dolphin Grey car does. Mine looks lovely in the summer, but Lava Grey seems that bit more photogenic. My Dolphin Grey hides motorway miles quite well though.

I'm one of the only ones who likes Dolphin so much potential:

MikesA3onBentleys.jpg

I have a Dolphin Grey A6, subtle, very clean, looks good in everything but really bright sunshine and can carry quite a lot of crud before it looks mucky.

N8 - what are those wheels, i could be in the market for a set?

I'll upload a pic of mine from a couple of days ago; not good light for showing the colour off particularly, plus it wasn't particularly clean!

I took a handful on Monday, so just uploaded them all.

IMG_00261fb.jpg

IMG_00251fb.jpg

IMG_00247fb.jpg

IMG_00286fb.jpg

IMG_00282fb.jpg

IMG_00279fb.jpg

IMG_00266fb.jpg

Only pics I have of it after cleaning/waxing are on camera phones. Yes, it DOES need coilovers!!!

:banghead:

Needs proper brakes too, but S3 brakes don't agree with my car. Will have to sort some monster 4/6 pots out some time. The list's always endless as we all know!

Thanks for the pictures and advice. Not much in it really, both nice colours!

Thing is I'm torn between two cars at the moment, both are 8P2 3.2 S-line Sportbacks with DSG.

Both have all the usual S-line stuff plus:
DVD Satnav
Heated seats
Interior lights
iPod connection
MFSW
Open sky

One is a private sale:
56 Plate
£13,950
Lava Grey
Also has:
Bose
Roof rails (quite handy, do loads of bike racing and often have bike racks on the car roof)
Acoustic parking
Phone prep

The other is a dealer car:
07 Plate
£14,450
Dolphin Grey
Also has:
Electric lumbar
Flat tyre indicator
Hill hold (is this needed with DSG?)
Rain & light sensor
Xenon lights
Not sure if it has phone prep

Both have pros and cons, neither clearly better than the other. Any input welcome, plus advice on realistic price for such a car.

Thanks
Jon

Last edited:
Go see both of them and then decide, only you can decide which one you want the must. We can only give you an input:happy:

Here a photo of my car
DSC03583-1.jpg

MyCarPhotoshoot080120116-1.jpg

My car 3days ownership July 2008 (my mate went and got a Dolphin Grey A3 PR*CK:no::noway:)
Hope they help fella. But obviously i vote for lava grey lol
18072008035-2-1.jpg

18072008033-2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures and advice. Not much in it really, both nice colours!

Thing is I'm torn between two cars at the moment, both are 8P2 3.2 S-line Sportbacks with DSG.

Both have all the usual S-line stuff plus:
DVD Satnav
Heated seats
Interior lights
iPod connection
MFSW
Open sky

One is a private sale:
56 Plate
£13,950
Lava Grey
Also has:
Bose
Roof rails (quite handy, do loads of bike racing and often have bike racks on the car roof)
Acoustic parking
Phone prep

The other is a dealer car:
07 Plate
£14,450
Dolphin Grey
Also has:
Electric lumbar
Flat tyre indicator
Hill hold (is this needed with DSG?)
Rain & light sensor
Xenon lights
Not sure if it has phone prep

Both have pros and cons, neither clearly better than the other. Any input welcome, plus advice on realistic price for such a car.

Thanks
Jon

i'd go for the dealer car - you'll be able to argue down the price, and you'll get a warranty...

the stuff that the private car has that the dealer car doesn't can easily be retrofitted, and BOSE is not a must have - an aftermarket sound system will sound much MUCH better. i've owned 2 BOSE cars and as an OEM set up it's not bad, but if you go aftermarket you'll get much better sound trust me

i think you may look slightly camp with a 3.2 badge on the back mate, best get the hairdryer out if you get either and whip those badges off ;)

jon208 - The pic N8 posted is Dolphin Grey, same as my car, so...no, there isn't much between those too! benskin's car is Lava grey - see how much crazy reflection of the car park lines his bumper picks up? The beauty of a clean Lava Grey car!

i think you may look slightly camp with a 3.2 badge on the back mate, best get the hairdryer out if you get either and whip those badges off ;)

Yes, you may as well take the badges of as everyone will know you have a proper engine just by the sound of it!

As said , go for the dealer car with the Warranty and you'll have piece of mind, however I do prefer Lava grey, looks stunning in sunlight....decisions decisions:think:

or buy an S3 with antidazzle rear view mirror, that way the 3.2 behind won't blind ya as his lights disappear into the distance :) ;)

P.S. 1animal1, think I saw someone looking for an N75 in Classifieds - Wanted :)

Loving the comedy on here tonight!

Damn it this is serious! Look, if I can pretend to listen carefully and pay attention while my Mrs asks my honest opinion on which one of 14 imperceptibly different shades of cream we should paint the living room you can jolly well help me choose what shade of grey my 3.2 should be.

Honestly.

There are more than two A3's for sale just now me thinks..... find a Lava Grey (obviously) one from a dealer. Easy.

There are more than two A3's for sale just now me thinks..... find a Lava Grey (obviously) one from a dealer. Easy.

Not in 3.2 there aren't...

Mine is Lava which is pearlescent. I think Dolphin was just metallic...

you won't find a Meteor grey car in a 3.2... it was an 8P3 colour

you won't find a Meteor grey car in a 3.2... it was an 8P3 colour

Thought it was 8P3 but wasn't 100% - just throwing it in to gauge opinion as the dealer told me its a shade lighter than Dolphin, as mine was dolphin, i can honestly say on the pics - it doesnt look like it!!

nevertheless an option for the OP depending on his budget....... if he isnt nailed to the 3.2's

Meteor FTW!!! Or Daytona, thats a nice colour especially on the RS4.

I'd go with Lava over Dolphin though if it was my choice, but colour is a pretty personal taste to be honest. I think its mentioned above, Lava does polish up nice with the flakes in it popping out.

Yawn!!!

Go for the Dealer car, it has xenons too! Just make sure which ever you go for has full service history etc. With the mileage on the Dealer car just check the Haldex and DSG oil and filters have been done or get them to do it! But I prefer Lava but warranty is peace of mind.

Last edited:
Any ideas what a realistic starting offer would be?

i'd go low. it's a 3.2 and they aren't gonna shift it (i mean that with the utmost respect. i'd love to own a 3.2)

Lava grey all day long!

I loved how mine used to sparkle in direct sunlight and then change colour throughout the day

I could pick out grey, black, silver, purple, blue, copper and so many other colours! Really lovely colour

Ignore the bumper in the 1st pic as it's black, not lava grey. But the rest of the body is lava grey and i'll probably have my next Audi in the same colour

171.jpg

018-1.jpg

Yawn!!!

Go for the Dealer car, it has xenons too! Just make sure which ever you go for has full service history etc. With the mileage on the Dealer car just check the Haldex and DSG oil and filters have been done or get them to do it! But I prefer Lava but warranty is peace of mind.

only jesting Sarah, was hoping a certain someone might surface from the darker depths ;)

Smudge i remember that from that show, got quite a few pics of it!! lovely car.... really does look black though in those pics, really hard to tell it apart