iPod Connection

sueldoc

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this so please go easy on me :blush:

I am awaiting delivery of a new A3 Sportback Sline 170. I have added the iPod connection as an extra but was just wondering if you could give me a brief overview of how it actually works. Also, I have an iPod Touch 3rd Gen, is this compatible?

Thanks

i believe it's compatible.

you need to give a bit more info. what head unit do you have?

also welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new purchase

Thanks for your reply and the welcome! It is the standard concert radio system.

It basically fools the Concert Radio into thinking a 6-CD changer is attached. Unfortunately, no track names will appear on the stereo, just track 01, 02, 03 etc.

CD numbers 1 -5 are available for playlists that sync from iTunes, i.e. name them "1 Playlist", "2 Playlist" etc so they appear in the same order as the on the Concert. CD number 6 basically plays everything on the iPod.

Your latest iPod will work , but not charge, - you will need an adapter ( such as Scosche Passport Charging Adapter for the iPod Nano 4G: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics ).

Hope this helps

hi there you also have to press play on your ipod to which tracks or album you want to hear as said above it shows track 1,2,3,4,5,6 which is the first tracks on your ipod every time you start car ,,well that what my concert stereo does and you can change tracks on sterring wheel if you have this option .. would love a rnse but not sure if this shows full menu of tracks from ipod,iphone etc...

hi there you also have to press play on your ipod

Eh?? Once it's plugged in you shouldn't have to touch the iPod. Mine was in the glvoe box plugged in for about 8 months without me touching it once. Should all be controlled through the HU.

Yep, same here with the Audi OEM one. Some 3rd party ones allow human interaction though, but yes, you shouldn't need to.

Also, the only iPod option on a new build with RNS-E is the AMI so posh folks can at least get track names nowadays...

I have to say the Audi iPod connection on the Concert is the biggest waste of money I have ever made, it's really really dissapointing!

I know what you mean, although I knew what I was getting into as I had already fitted one in my 56 plate myself. Couldn't justify the extra tax costs in having RNS-E plus AMI in the company A3 I replaced it with.

mmm maybe its the way i,ve sent up my ipod as i have say armin first album on playlists with 6 albums them say atb 3 albums ,so have to press atb to get into albums to play on stereo,,etc....

I now have a delivery date of 1st March! Thanks for all your posts regarding the iPod connection! Watch this space! :thumbsup:

I have to say the Audi iPod connection on the Concert is the biggest waste of money I have ever made, it's really really dissapointing!

Too true, if I'd have known how useless the ipod connection was when I ordered I'd have gone for the Symphony instead, at least that can play 6 discs of mp3 files with names etc.

mmm maybe its the way i,ve sent up my ipod as i have say armin first album on playlists with 6 albums them say atb 3 albums ,so have to press atb to get into albums to play on stereo,,etc....

You need to set up playlists 1-6 then the iPod knows what to play in what order....

Isn't it appalling that Audi (and other car makers) are about 5 years behind when it comes to in car entertainment. Who the hell wants a CD player, everyone want some form of MP3 player.............................

AMI also has the possibility of sticking a whacking huge HD in & having all your tunes on there instead of just the ipod/iphone etc, thats reason I will be installing it & RNS-E is the Sat Nav unit for the 8P & few others cars, that has SD compatibility & SDHC on MY09 onwards units, Telephone/BT interaction fitted interaction, Voice control when fitted, variety of features, looks good too.

orite ok thanks, in that case which will i have would it be the standard cd player as ive ordered the standard a3 with the tfsi engine and the equipment i ordered are the comfort package, tinted windows, drivers information system (DIS), non smoking package, 4 spoke multi-function steering wheel, Mobile telephone preparation – Bluetooth interface and the ipod connection.

When ive got my ipod connected into the car would the display show track 1,2,3,4 and 5 or would it show track name? and i pressume i can control it all via steering wheel

TBH mate, you would be best to update the unit to an rns-e unit as the interaction between wheel, BT etc is allot better & if you add the AMI aswell it will give you proper ipod integration not the pants virtual changer connection lesser systems use.

If ever need the kit supplying/installing, give me a shout via PM.

Depends what you want fitted, I'll PM you if you like, as not the place for this discussion with respect to the forum. :)

Just to clarify, I'm getting a new black edition with iPod connect - are you saying when I plug my iPod in it won't display track names etc.?

That would depend on the head unit tbh, if its the crappy virtual ipod connection used via the cd port then it didnt show squat before.

Hi All, well I've had my Audi for a wee while now and love the car! However, the iPod connection is a disappointment. Having to set up play lists all the time is a pain. I wouldn't recommend this option. My passenger plugs his iPod in using the Aux and plays DJ!

One question (for when my DJ is not present), is there anyway to play podcasts using the Glovebox dock?

Only way would be to edit the idtag to not be podcasts & dump them in the music folder, problem is you'd have to remember the position there in on the ipod, as the crappy old glovebox ipod connection isnt integrated with artists, podcasts, file info, its purely a virtual cd connection, so you cant select directly via text on the head unit, now the newer AMI system is allot more integrated, not sure it details podcasts, but certainly shows proper ipod integration, but you need a mk2 rns for this aswell as the AMI system, well over 1k for that installed, all of which I can supply/do.

Not sure a dension unit would detail podcasts.

Hi.

Can the Dension be used with factory fit ipod at all?

Must be something out there to improve this system........

Cheers,

S

Dension is in leu of factory fit ipod kit.

Yes you can improve the system, but requires spending a fair bit of wedge, of which I can supply/fit.