Monster MotorsportChris Nott

Thread: iPod Connection

Reverse Gear

Status

Smile iPod Connection

Hi,

I'm new to this so please go easy on me

I am awaiting delivery of a new A3 Sportback Sline 170. I have added the iPod connection as an extra but was just wondering if you could give me a brief overview of how it actually works. Also, I have an iPod Touch 3rd Gen, is this compatible?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    i believe it's compatible.

you need to give a bit more info. what head unit do you have?

also welcome to the forum, and congrats on your new purchase
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for your reply and the welcome! It is the standard concert radio system.

2nd Gear

Status
    It basically fools the Concert Radio into thinking a 6-CD changer is attached. Unfortunately, no track names will appear on the stereo, just track 01, 02, 03 etc.

CD numbers 1 -5 are available for playlists that sync from iTunes, i.e. name them "1 Playlist", "2 Playlist" etc so they appear in the same order as the on the Concert. CD number 6 basically plays everything on the iPod.

Your latest iPod will work , but not charge, - you will need an adapter ( such as Scosche Passport Charging Adapter for the iPod Nano 4G: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics ).

Hope this helps

Status
    hi there you also have to press play on your ipod to which tracks or album you want to hear as said above it shows track 1,2,3,4,5,6 which is the first tracks on your ipod every time you start car ,,well that what my concert stereo does and you can change tracks on sterring wheel if you have this option .. would love a rnse but not sure if this shows full menu of tracks from ipod,iphone etc...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thank you all!

Status
    no problem enjoy

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3kel View Post
    hi there you also have to press play on your ipod
    Eh?? Once it's plugged in you shouldn't have to touch the iPod. Mine was in the glvoe box plugged in for about 8 months without me touching it once. Should all be controlled through the HU.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

2nd Gear

Status
    Yep, same here with the Audi OEM one. Some 3rd party ones allow human interaction though, but yes, you shouldn't need to.

Also, the only iPod option on a new build with RNS-E is the AMI so posh folks can at least get track names nowadays...

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    I have to say the Audi iPod connection on the Concert is the biggest waste of money I have ever made, it's really really dissapointing!
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

2nd Gear

Status
    I know what you mean, although I knew what I was getting into as I had already fitted one in my 56 plate myself. Couldn't justify the extra tax costs in having RNS-E plus AMI in the company A3 I replaced it with.

Status
    mmm maybe its the way i,ve sent up my ipod as i have say armin first album on playlists with 6 albums them say atb 3 albums ,so have to press atb to get into albums to play on stereo,,etc....

Reverse Gear

Status
    I now have a delivery date of 1st March! Thanks for all your posts regarding the iPod connection! Watch this space!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    I have to say the Audi iPod connection on the Concert is the biggest waste of money I have ever made, it's really really dissapointing!
    Too true, if I'd have known how useless the ipod connection was when I ordered I'd have gone for the Symphony instead, at least that can play 6 discs of mp3 files with names etc.
    A3 1.6 TDI Cabriolet Sport - 8P3
    Superchips Blue Fin, Aruba Blue/Blue Roof, Adaptive Xenons, Heated Seats, Folding Mirrors, Cruise Control, RNS-E, Bluetooth, IMA plus with
    Ampire DVX200i DVD player, iPOD Integration and MIRACAST receiver. R8 Reverse Camera, MFSW, Illumination Pack, Removable Tow Bar, Tyre Pressure Monitoring.

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3kel View Post
    mmm maybe its the way i,ve sent up my ipod as i have say armin first album on playlists with 6 albums them say atb 3 albums ,so have to press atb to get into albums to play on stereo,,etc....
    You need to set up playlists 1-6 then the iPod knows what to play in what order....
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

1st Gear

Status
    Isn't it appalling that Audi (and other car makers) are about 5 years behind when it comes to in car entertainment. Who the hell wants a CD player, everyone want some form of MP3 player.............................

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Andy Crooks On Twitter Add Andy Crooks on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by phil_w View Post
    Also, the only iPod option on a new build with RNS-E is the AMI so posh folks can at least get track names nowadays...
    How do you know which you have got and what do you mean RNS-E?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    AMI also has the possibility of sticking a whacking huge HD in & having all your tunes on there instead of just the ipod/iphone etc, thats reason I will be installing it & RNS-E is the Sat Nav unit for the 8P & few others cars, that has SD compatibility & SDHC on MY09 onwards units, Telephone/BT interaction fitted interaction, Voice control when fitted, variety of features, looks good too.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

orite ok thanks, in that case which will i have would it be the standard cd player as ive ordered the standard a3 with the tfsi engine and the equipment i ordered are the comfort package, tinted windows, drivers information system (DIS), non smoking package, 4 spoke multi-function steering wheel, Mobile telephone preparation – Bluetooth interface and the ipod connection.

When ive got my ipod connected into the car would the display show track 1,2,3,4 and 5 or would it show track name? and i pressume i can control it all via steering wheel

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    TBH mate, you would be best to update the unit to an rns-e unit as the interaction between wheel, BT etc is allot better & if you add the AMI aswell it will give you proper ipod integration not the pants virtual changer connection lesser systems use.

If ever need the kit supplying/installing, give me a shout via PM.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

how much are they to retro-fit anyway

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Depends what you want fitted, I'll PM you if you like, as not the place for this discussion with respect to the forum.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

ok yeh pm me

CJ1
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Just to clarify, I'm getting a new black edition with iPod connect - are you saying when I plug my iPod in it won't display track names etc.?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    That would depend on the head unit tbh, if its the crappy virtual ipod connection used via the cd port then it didnt show squat before.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi All, well I've had my Audi for a wee while now and love the car! However, the iPod connection is a disappointment. Having to set up play lists all the time is a pain. I wouldn't recommend this option. My passenger plugs his iPod in using the Aux and plays DJ!

One question (for when my DJ is not present), is there anyway to play podcasts using the Glovebox dock?

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Streamed or downloaded?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Downloaded

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Only way would be to edit the idtag to not be podcasts & dump them in the music folder, problem is you'd have to remember the position there in on the ipod, as the crappy old glovebox ipod connection isnt integrated with artists, podcasts, file info, its purely a virtual cd connection, so you cant select directly via text on the head unit, now the newer AMI system is allot more integrated, not sure it details podcasts, but certainly shows proper ipod integration, but you need a mk2 rns for this aswell as the AMI system, well over 1k for that installed, all of which I can supply/do.

Not sure a dension unit would detail podcasts.

1st Gear

Status
    Hi.

Can the Dension be used with factory fit ipod at all?

Must be something out there to improve this system........

Cheers,

S

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Dension is in leu of factory fit ipod kit.

Yes you can improve the system, but requires spending a fair bit of wedge, of which I can supply/fit.