JMB RetrofitsEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status

RS4 BRAKES FOR S3 2007 REG?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Cant see the links due to being in work. But guessing the TTRS ones are Jordans he a member on here may be worth pm him smudge_don i think his user name is. With RS4 brakes think you need 19s where with the TTRS you can use 10mm spacers at the front so they can be fitted with 18s. So i'd go for them and RS4 Oem discs are not the best i've heard aswell. But sure some of the other guys will be able to confirm if im wrong and advise you correctly.
    good luck
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

6th Gear

Status
    The bottom link is smudge_don's listing

For that price those brakes are a STEAL. if you can afford them I'd snap them up. Plus there won't be any compatibility issues as the TT and your S3 share a chassis.

DEFINITELY go for those TT brakes if a brake set up is what you're after.

Also I bought his coilovers off him and he's a thoroughly nice bloke
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

5th Gear

Status
    Agreed that the TTRS ones are easier but I have one question.

I dont know what mods you have done to the car performance wise, so unless you are 2+/3, I really cant see the need for a big brake set up. If you havent done the performance mods, thats where I would spend my hard earned.

Just my 2p worth.
    "Dont get me wrong. Ugly girls need loving. Just not by me."

6th Gear

Status
    totally agree with what james has said, a BBK is a serious investment and if your not planing on big power then its a bit over kill... but looks amazing!
    if your going to keep the power standard then just put on some uprated pads and fluid as that should keep you sweet

if you however defiantly going BBK then the RS4's will be a more powerful set up, but the rotors are seriously expensive when they come to be replaced and they may be heavier given their size over the TT set up. another down side with the RS4's you will need to get some brackets made up and that will be at least another 150 ontop of that price... TT set up looking pretty good now as its a real bargain!! and you also wont have to change your wheels with the TT's

oh just remembered something else with the RS4's the centre bore on the RS4 is bigger then that on the S3 so you will have to have another adapter plate or custom bell made up so the fit properly

the VWR's are meant to be amazing, if you want an opinion of them pm s3alex on here as he has a set or wait till this evening and ill tell you what they are like as mine are being fitted in the new couple of hours and i can tell you what they are like

anyway hope that was of some help

paolo
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

To Do list: Now that would be telling

PM me for Weitec & KW coilovers

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    I've got 4 pot R8 calipers up front on mine, with 310mm S3 brakes on the rear and I drive a "mapped" 2.0 TDI 140, my braking is ABSOLUTLEY PERFECT and remember, brakes are another "cosmetic mod" as well as safety, they always look nice behind the wheels

My 2.0TDI brakes were AWFUL, even with stock power, so if you want to get them go for it!

How can big brakes be overkill, when they will always stop you quicker?
    Last edited by N8; 20th January 2011 at 11:57.

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    theyre a bargain thats less than a Brembo GT junior kit for my 8L.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    How can big brakes be overkill, when they will always stop you quicker?
    the S3 brakes are generally very good, just suffer from a bit of fade on heavy use, so with stock power they are more then capable and will pull you up quicker then most out there... but there is always a want for better stopping power
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

I didn't go for S3 brakes up front, as not feeling the look, wanted a proper brembo caliper...

6th Gear

Status
    I didn't go for S3 brakes up front, as not feeling the look, wanted a proper brembo caliper...
    if i had the money i'd be buying smudge_don's TT-RS brakes and painting them brembo red with the logos - they're brembo brakes after all
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

6th Gear

Status
    with the S3 fronts, its more look then stopping as most of the caliper is just metal, but you cant beat the look of a pukka brake kit
    i was tempted to go R8 rears but would have cost too much and couldnt find any, hence the VWRs

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    if i had the money i'd be buying smudge_don's TT-RS brakes and painting them brembo red with the logos - they're brembo brakes after all
    if i had gotten jords, they would have gone black, but with S3 decals, keep it looking stock.... till you hit the brakes haha

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
    if i had gotten jords, they would have gone black, but with S3 decals, keep it looking stock.... till you hit the brakes haha
    i couldn't do that, i don't drive an S3 lol

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

6th Gear

Status
    haha thats a fair point then
    and anyway red on black will look amazing... well hope so as thats what im going to be having
    you would get a nice bit of visibility as well through your Pescaras

6th Gear

Status
    indeedy

oh well i'm not planning on upping the power on my car at all anymore so i don't need a BBK lol

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    I wouldn't bother unless you have +400bhp and you're racing your car on the track.

With a kit like the TTRS brakes with a whopper 370mm disc and bigger calipers etc, you are increasing the unsprung weight of the car (in the same way as fitting heavier wheels and tyres would), and also the rotational weight. Increasing the unsprung weight of the car will make it handle far worse, increasing the rotational weight will reduce your acceleration.

If you want to test the theory, this is how I was taught. Wave your hand in the air, this respresents your standard wheels and brakes on your car moving with the suspension. Now hold a can of soup or bag of sugar and wave your hand in the same way, its much much harder to control your waving, this represents your car with larger and heavier wheels, tyres and brakes.

So if you're not into major mods (anything up to a stage 2+) you will end up reducing your cars performance, apart from perhaps it's ability to stop on a 50p piece, which an S3 does pefectly well already.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    wait till this evening and ill tell you what they are like as mine are being fitted in the new couple of hours and i can tell you what they are like
    Good stuff, get some pics up too!
    Audi A3 2.0tdi S Line - Xenons, RNS-E, Bose, Black & Grey duo leather, MY11 rear lights, Shark Performance remap 183 bhp, Optics Grill with American plate delete, S3 Pedals, S3 vents, Weitec Coilovers, MY11 Black Edition FBSW

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    With a kit like the TTRS brakes with a whopper 370mm disc and bigger calipers etc, you are increasing the unsprung weight of the car (in the same way as fitting heavier wheels and tyres would), and also the rotational weight. Increasing the unsprung weight of the car will make it handle far worse, increasing the rotational weight will reduce your acceleration.
    i think you will find mate the TTRS set up is considerably lighter then the S3 set up, at least 5kg a corner... so just by fitting the TTRS set up the car will accelerate faster, brake harder and have better turn in

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_Malone View Post
    Good stuff, get some pics up too!
    haha dont worry there will be a write up and photos!!

Status
    i think you will find mate the TTRS set up is considerably lighter then the S3 set up, at least 5kg a corner... so just by fitting the TTRS set up the car will accelerate faster, brake harder and have better turn in
    Not with an increased rolling radius they're not. Just sticking them on the scales does not give the full picture, ask the experts.

www.essexdriversclub.com

6th Gear

Status
    well as my VWRs have come off an S3 that was built by a racing driver and ive spoken to him about how it changes the feel of the car ill take his word for it

6th Gear

Status
    If you want to test the theory, this is how I was taught. Wave your hand in the air, this respresents your standard wheels and brakes on your car moving with the suspension. Now hold a can of soup or bag of sugar and wave your hand in the same way, its much much harder to control your waving
    i read this, and whilst i don't at all disagree with the theory i think you need to go to the gym more

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

TT-RS has too much pedal travel due to the size of the pistons

Status
    well as my VWRs have come off an S3 that was built by a racing driver and ive spoken to him about how it changes the feel of the car ill take his word for it
    And I worked for a for brake manufactures and wrote a thesis on brake disc design whilst I was studying Industrial Desgin with Physics at university. I've posted on this forum in the past about my studies, have a hunt about and you'll find it.

Once again it's down to opinions though I guess. You'll not find many rally cars with brakes much bigger than the TTRS mind, certainly is a reason for that. In fact they range from being 300mm to about 380mm dependant on application.

If you're sticking those TTRS ones on, and the static weight of each side is only 10kg differencem, then you're probably right there won't be a huge difference, in fact in may even be slightly better if you're using them with standard size wheels. If you have to upgrade to 19" wheels, then it becomes pointless, as the 2 will cancel each other out.

And after upgrading the fronts, if you haven't correctly calculated the rear bias (and upgraded to the correct spec if applicable) then there's always the potential for further reducing performance.
    Last edited by beanoir; 20th January 2011 at 13:43.

www.essexdriversclub.com

Status
    i read this, and whilst i don't at all disagree with the theory i think you need to go to the gym more
    It was a BIG bag of sugar!!!

www.essexdriversclub.com

6th Gear

Status
    thats the advantage of the TT & VWRs, everything else can stay standard

but as you have worked for a brake company ill politely stand down to your greater knowledge on the effects of them lol

although the TT's are 25mm bigger i couldnt imagine they would make the handling etc worse, even tho the rotational weight is further out from the hub and how this would effect the gyroscopic effect of the wheel, but i refer again to my first sentence in this post lol

5th Gear

Status
    I've got 4 pot R8 calipers up front on mine, with 310mm S3 brakes on the rear and I drive a "mapped" 2.0 TDI 140, my braking is ABSOLUTLEY PERFECT and remember, brakes are another "cosmetic mod" as well as safety, they always look nice behind the wheels
    N8 - you missed something from your post above. Please allow me to help you out:

".....and remember my car is all show and no go."

5th Gear

Status
    indeedy

oh well i'm not planning on upping the power on my car at all anymore so i don't need a BBK lol
    Get some extra power with that money thats obviously burning a hole in your pocket!! You might like it!!

Status
    thats the advantage of the TT & VWRs, everything else can stay standard

but as you have worked for a brake company ill politely stand down to your greater knowledge on the effects of them lol

although the TT's are 25mm bigger i couldnt imagine they would make the handling etc worse, even tho the rotational weight is further out from the hub and how this would effect the gyroscopic effect of the wheel, but i refer again to my first sentence in this post lol
    I think you're probably right, although i'm not inclined to get my calculator out, I never realised the S3 brakes were so damn heavy (just one more reason to get rid of it!) compared to the TTRS brakes. So yes, if you're staying stock wheel size, then the chances are that there should be a noticeable benefit.

On another note, that must be blinking close in terms of rotor inside wheel clearance?

www.essexdriversclub.com

6th Gear

Status
    haha yea the S3's are 25kg a corner!! its crazy! the TTRSs are about 17 i think and the VWRs are a tiny 12 (and only running a 355 2 part disk)

the clearance is tight, ive head some people have had to have the wheel weights moved over to clear the calipers lol but after doing that they havent had any issues

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by JamesS4cab View Post
    N8 - you missed something from your post above. Please allow me to help you out:

".....and remember my car is all show and no go."

Its not a Stage II plus S3 no, but it goes well for a diesel

Status
    i know would you mean james want to start with the GT3071 turbo RS4 injectors,itg induction kit,etc,,etc..

Status
    25 kg a corner???? Thats nearly half the weight of my misses!!

www.essexdriversclub.com

Status
    hi beanoir your lucky try 5x that for my misses i need to go out for drive on my own more power,more fun...

6th Gear

Status
    haha told you they were heavy!!
    its all the metalwork they put round the actual caliper to make them look bigger then they really are, makes them look good, but at a massive expense!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3kel View Post
    hi beanoir your lucky try 5x that for my misses i need to go out for drive on my own more power,more fun...
    Removing the Misses from the car is the best all-round modifcation you can do to any car!! FACT!

....or just give her the car and buy another one!

www.essexdriversclub.com

5th Gear

Status
    Its not a Stage II plus S3 no, but it goes well for a diesel
    You know i'm only messing.

6th Gear

Status
    Removing the Misses from the car is the best all-round modifcation you can do to any car!! FACT!
    haha it does cut down on road noise i found!!

....or just give her the car and buy another one!
    easy for those who have an M3 sat there as well haha

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by JamesS4cab View Post
    You know i'm only messing.
    I know you are brother

Status
    haha it does cut down on road noise i found!!
    and cabin noise...

www.essexdriversclub.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast