Hub painting - any tips on the do's and dont's ?

DaveyB

No misfires.
Reaction score
I have noticed that the rear hubs are showing slight superficial surface corrosion what with all the bad weather etc. During the summer months my Autoglym trade wheel acid brought them up as good as new and for a brief period they were returned to the original silver colour.

I am looking to give them a lick of paint in the not too distant future as I’m not happy with their shabby appearance. Has anyone done this at all and if so can you please give me any advice on the correct materials and procedure?

I have stumbled across some posts on other forums that have mentioned Hammerite but not sure if I should be looking at ‘straight to rust metal paint’ or aerosol or brush etc etc. A mate of mine also mentioned some aluminum paint of some description….

Just thought I’d put it to the floor before I order anything.

Thanks in advance

Just use a wire brush to clean them up, then paint them with hammerite using a brush. Looks good and its pretty foolproof.

Rub down surface rust with 120grit sandpaper then spray with hitemp silver exhaust paint, done mine and looks like new oem discs, lasts a long time too as the paint doesn't eventually peel off from the heat.

Sweet - just a case of doing a proper masking up job then...?

Do you have the name of the spray paint you used?

cheers

I'm still amazed why Audi and other manufacturers cant stop the hubs from rusting so easily. My MY10 S3 hubs are rusty and when i bought my new BMW 335d last Nov (when it was pretty wet) they showed rust after 3 days!

Is it just a case of removing wheels/masking/prep and then painting?

I completely agree, can't understand it. Especially on such a visible area.

You certainly don't expect to be reaching for a can of spray paint so soon after handing of your cash in the dealership!

Like most paint jobs I expect the prepping is the most crucial part to get right here, followed v.closely by masking!

the disc area will always attract rust..... this if left for a few days would spread along the same piece of metal, protected or not...... i cant see how its possible for Audi to protect it

yeah hamerite is good paint plus its not too expensive either so if you do have to go over it the paint wont cost alot of money

good wash, scrub with wire brush, mask up and paint with hammerite. You'll be able to do the rear hubs and front calipers with one of those small tins of hammerite, approx £5. I gave mine a few coats of lacquer when i did them as well, i think it makes them a bit easier kept clean

Thank you all for the advice - much appreciated!

I would brush not spray - less risk of overspray! I got a great finish with a brush!

Any pics of the 'hammerited' hubs guys? Rust makes that area look soooo nasty and I'm sticking on some new alloys that will increase visibility in that area a lot

Any pics of the 'hammerited' hubs guys? Rust makes that area look soooo nasty and I'm sticking on some new alloys that will increase visibility in that area a lot

Ill get a pic up after work.

I used a wire brush and silver hamerite last year. Still looking good. Easy to do too.

Did mine like Sarah last year and still look good. Just clean them up, and carefully paint the hub. Doesn't matter too much if you get a small bit on the disc as the brake pad will get rid of it once applied!