Rnse retrofit & DAB to Black ed A3

mojo555

Reaction score
Posted the following in the sat nav forum but no responce....
anyone help

Is it poss to add the sat nav unit and dab to a 2011 black ed sportback, and if so any idea of cost?????

Thanks....

i don't think you can get DAB for the 8P no matter what you do to it.

for the latest version of RNS-E there's a user on here called NHN who sells the MY10+ RNS-E units, but they're not cheap. PM him for prices.

then you'll need all the wiring and DVD, antenna etc, plus paying someone to code it for you if you don't have VCDS (which NHN also sells)

RNS-E from eBay you're talking ~£400, plug&plug for you.

You may experience radio problems with the RNS-E though due to a different radio setup, this can be amended at a cost of ~£150 for the correct items to be ordered.

Thanks will pm NHN, it is for my brothers car which is due to arrive for march delivery, it will be the standard unit with bose....
sure i read somewhere you could somehow add dab????

I don't understand why Dab could not be added, it is a great system which I have on other car.

You CAN get DAB on the 8P, but you need the OEM Hybrid TV tuner to do so!

I don't understand why Dab could not be added, it is a great system which I have on other car.

i think it's purely down to the age of the 8P. remember the original 8P didn't come with a/c or even a CD player as standard

You CAN get DAB on the 8P, but you need the OEM Hybrid TV tuner to do so!

ah yes, i'd forgotten about that solution. i wanted DAB in mine, but i thought getting a digital TV tuner was too much extra cost for DAB.

whats the extra cost roughly?

i don't remember... i don't think the cost itself is the problem, it's just that when you're spending £1k+ on the head unit, £300 for bluetooth, £200 for AMI and iPod, then you need all the wiring and antenna and disc - and to get it coded if you don't have VCDS

then to add a TV tuner and video-in-motion? it was all a bit much lol

yeah see what ya sayin.... if the car i get doesn't have it already, my plan was to go RNS-E.....then add on the Parrot MKi9200 which is an absolute gem both for bluetooth and ipod functionality - no way am i going back to the Denison era with a blind shortened playlist function - i'll hide the tft screen if i cant find a spot that looks decent.

yeah see what ya sayin.... if the car i get doesn't have it already, my plan was to go RNS-E.....then add on the Parrot MKi9200 which is an absolute gem both for bluetooth and ipod functionality - no way am i going back to the Denison era with a blind shortened playlist function - i'll hide the tft screen if i cant find a spot that looks decent.

apparently the new Dension Gateway Five is a much advanced unit, but it doesn't like pairing with iPhones and it only shows track names on DIS, not on the HU... and you can't actually call out using the steering wheel with iPhones for some inexplicable reason. apparently they were working on a fix, but when i emailed them they seemed to be dodging the question. i said to them clearly that that was a sign to me that kit couldn't possibly be working as expected if they weren't answering simple questions about it, so i decided against it and i'll just go OEM. if the limitations are ok for you then i'd defos recommend the Dension because it's a lot LOT cheaper than OEM (tho probably not parrot)

Good job i don't have an iphone then ;) Samsung Galaxy for my afraid :)

I had the Denison on my 8L, got it for approx £120 before they upped it to circa £160 a few months later? i sold my unit as the controls on the HU just do not have enough range and the screen couldn't accommodate the required info even if they had upgraded it. I then sold my CK3200 parrot and paid just under £200 for the MKi9200 including the Connect2 aux adaptor needed to get the rears speakers working..... its been 'bob on' ever since

I'm all for keeping things as OEM as possible, but unless i can get the same functions and accessability to my ipod that my parrot can and through the RNS-E......then i aint changing.

Does this Denison look remotely better apart from the iphone issue?

Good job i don't have an iphone then ;) Samsung Galaxy for my afraid :)

I had the Denison on my 8L, got it for approx £120 before they upped it to circa £160 a few months later? i sold my unit as the controls on the HU just do not have enough range and the screen couldn't accommodate the required info even if they had upgraded it. I then sold my CK3200 parrot and paid just under £200 for the MKi9200 including the Connect2 aux adaptor needed to get the rears speakers working..... its been 'bob on' ever since

I'm all for keeping things as OEM as possible, but unless i can get the same functions and accessability to my ipod that my parrot can and through the RNS-E......then i aint changing.

Does this Denison look remotely better apart from the iphone issue?

well it would be hidden. it's basically just a black box that everything wires into then you bring an iPhone wire out for it. i was gonna hook it up to one of these:

spec.dock - complete iPod and iPhone vehicle integration

and put the box itself under a seat (where the OEM BT would go) or behind the HU or something

2 potential solutions that I had been looking into were either the RNS-e and DAB from an A6, or the RNSe from a new VW Golf which is touch screen and has DAB. Never got around to looking into the techie issues, but i'm sure you could get both to work if you were that way inclined

my head hurts (revisions out of the window today :) )

That looks really good!! a bit like that job someone did on here a couple of years back with the Resin in the ash tray?

My Ipod is going to be Glovebox mounted as cant be ***** to remove it everytime i leave the car..... i'm now thinking along the lines on the BT module instead if its any good, it does look better having it integrated....leaving me with the ipod problem.

Phatbox is an option.... i would like some sort of visual aid though to see my playlists and the songs within

my head hurts (revisions out of the window today :) )

That looks really good!! a bit like that job someone did on here a couple of years back with the Resin in the ash tray?

My Ipod is going to be Glovebox mounted as cant be ***** to remove it everytime i leave the car..... i'm now thinking along the lines on the BT module instead if its any good, it does look better having it integrated....leaving me with the ipod problem.

Phatbox is an option.... i would like some sort of visual aid though to see my playlists and the songs within

your RNS-E has SD card slots. 2x 32GB if you go for the latest version... so you could just leave the iPod

2 potential solutions that I had been looking into were either the RNS-e and DAB from an A6, or the RNSe from a new VW Golf which is touch screen and has DAB. Never got around to looking into the techie issues, but i'm sure you could get both to work if you were that way inclined

my understanding is RNS-510 from the Golf is just no-no

interesting thought, and i suppose it would modernise the car somewhat.....

I would imagine theres a few things to sort, firstly the VW emblem on start up.... probably too techy for me, i'll wait till NHN gets his **** in gear :)

interesting thought, and i suppose it would modernise the car somewhat.....

I would imagine theres a few things to sort, firstly the VW emblem on start up.... probably too techy for me, i'll wait till NHN gets his **** in gear :)

Yeah, i've no idea if either option is possible, and not i'm not techie enough in this department to know either. I opted for the TomTom cradle in the end and use internet radio on the iphone, which is as good as DAB in most cases and a much wider choice of stations, just doesn't look as posh as an integrated HU.

I do however like the look of that Spec Dock, thats a pretty nifty looking idea!!

looks like it's an ongoing problem - i'm not up enough on it all, Vagcom error codes and logging are as far as i go.....

I think the RNS-E with BT...the SD slots must allow you to play around otherwise why are they there, you'd assume (many a **** up created from assumptions!!)

The TV is something i'll make a call on once the basics are sorted, it'd be nice to have DAB and TV but the useablility will probably be wasted on my weekly 10 mile commute