Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

Extending the life of my A3 2.0 tdi, any tips.

Hi,
    I intend to keep my A3 2.0 tdi for many years to come and wondered if anyone had any tips to keep it in top condition.

1. I clean it regularly and keep on top of any little problems.
    2. Service it on an annual basis
    3. Drive sensibly, letting the turbo spin down at the end of long journeys.

Anything else. On my last car (BMW 316) i changed the oil twice a year. Is it worth it on the Audi. I do 10k per year.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    No suggestions?

Audi Heaven

Status
    Well you have sort of answered your own question within your question. As long as you do the things you say you'll do then your Audi should last years and many thousands of miles.

Changing your oil annually will be fine at that mileage, just use the correct grade of oil and Audi normally recommend either Castrol or Mobil...
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

6th Gear

Status
    As scott said you answered your own question lol. Maybe warm it up and let it warm down.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

Reverse Gear

Status
    Id a 2.0 140 tdi quattro with 70k which i intended to keep for many years, i was goin to be changing the oil every 5k but not with the longlife oil. Changing this often would keep it runnin forever just about. Then i sold it!!

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks. I'm on annual service.

Gievf Buckets

Status
    regular coats of waxoil to the underside and a coat behind the skins of your panels

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

6th Gear

Status
    I'd say run an some Diesel addative in it too, one weak area with modern diesels is the variable vane turbo. The vane mechanism can get clogged up with soot resulting in requiring a replacement Turbo and possibly more if the Turbo goes pop. Fuel addatives can help keep the soot down and so delay that process.

Paul
    2011 (MY12) Skoda Octavia II FL VRS Manual Hatch 2.0Tsi in Race Blue.
    Gone not forgotten -
    2005 Black A3 (8P1) S-Line 2.0TDi DSG. Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD shocks and a few bling bits inside.
    Revo 99 GTi Turbo, too much to list mod wise.
    92 Golf Gti Mark 2 16V.

VCDS HEX-USB+CAN

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    My advice would be filters !!
    I used to run race bike engines on the track with velocity stacks which really wasn't a great problem because the engines were regularly striped. One of these engines i put in a road bike and after 10k miles it was totally shot !!, not through any fault of the state of tune etc but without air filters the bores were just worn away. minute particles of dust and sand, general air pollution destroys cylinder bores, rings and pistons in no time so always use a good filter and if you want mileage then a std paper filter is as good as they come.
    Secondly, Oil filters. It goes without saying that you need a good quality fully synthetic oil like Mobil1 diesel variety and an annual change...but don't just buy the cheapest filter you can get. That filter will be working hardest just before you change it when the oil is dirty so you want it on top form when you throw it out !!!. Don't play about with long life services. Oil picks up carbon deposits and is continually washing the engine picking up piston blow past and varnish deposits as well as minute particles of metal. Long life oils might hold viscosity longer but they get just as polluted with crap and fuel deposits as normal oils...... but you change that normal oil twice as often which has to be better !!
    In short, treat the inside of your engine as a precision instrument and it will last a lot longer mechanically. There is no reason why your engine should not cover 200k miles on its original bores and pistons if it is fed clean air and clean oil and clean fuel.

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gti Jazz Blue View Post
    I'd say run an some Diesel addative in it too, one weak area with modern diesels is the variable vane turbo. The vane mechanism can get clogged up with soot resulting in requiring a replacement Turbo and possibly more if the Turbo goes pop. Fuel addatives can help keep the soot down and so delay that process.

Paul
    More good advice and well worth a few outlay IMHO