Flooded Rear Boot Well........

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Evening boys and girls.

Not often i'm in this section, always in the 8l section :), but the folks have a 8p sline a3 so nip on here sometimes.

Anyway, need some help.

Their rear wiper isnt squirting water, had a look under the engine bay and no leaks etc, took the rear boot lining up to find a massive paddling pool in the rear tyre well lol.

Does anyone know where the rear washer jet pipe run is? None of the carpet in the boot is dry so the wiper mechanism connection isnt leaking and running down, it's just the boot well thats wet, had a look for the pipe run but cant see it at all.

Any help would be much appreciated.

pipe runs along underside of roof/upper quarter then into the tailgate next to the hinges that hold the tailgate on. I'd be suprised to see that much water in the car from the washer jet though as you'd have to hold it on continuously for quite some time to make it all the way down from such a high position

Well i did have my mum having it held in for a while so i could look around the engine bay and under the car for a leak.

So if that's where the pipe runs, how come the wheel well is soaked but nowhere else is! odd.

This happened to me the other month.

The hose going into the rear washer comes loose and is just left hanging inside the boot trim, the water then escapes from the boot trim down into the boot and into the spare wheel well.

Take off the boot trim and you should see the hose just hanging around. I wrapped water resistant tape around the jet insert which now gives the hose more grip to hold on to and its been sound ever since.

If I was you I'd also take off the boot lock and make sure its dry as some people (myself included) with this problem have also experienced the car alarm triggering every 5 minutes, this was because of water getting into the micro-switch in the boot lock which tricked the car into thinking the boot was open, which then triggered the alarm.

Pipe has come off rear wiper motor due to freezing conditions.

This causes the washer liquid to run down inside of boot card, past the lock and into the boot well.

You need to remove the boot lid lining and re-fit pipe.

You(they) are lucky the microswitch in the lock has not upset the computer and caused locking/alarm to either not work or certainly make a nuisance of itself !

Do not try to use the rear washer again until it's fixed !

I have had the same problem and managed to fix it.

Thats a damn good question !!!!
Only way to find out is to water test it,take the boot carpet,parcel shelf, spare wheel out and run the pump,watch for any water dripping into wheel well, if none then try and set up a hose squirting onto the back of the car (not pressure washer) then climb in with a cloth and torch and see if you can find anything. Very time consuming process which is why it costs so much for dealers to investigate, if there's any warranty left on the car i'd take it along to Audi and see what they can do for you, if it's a defective part then it should be free for them to sort it out

Thats a damn good question !!!!
Only way to find out is to water test it,take the boot carpet,parcel shelf, spare wheel out and run the pump,watch for any water dripping into wheel well, if none then try and set up a hose squirting onto the back of the car (not pressure washer) then climb in with a cloth and torch and see if you can find anything. Very time consuming process which is why it costs so much for dealers to investigate, if there's any warranty left on the car i'd take it along to Audi and see what they can do for you, if it's a defective part then it should be free for them to sort it out

Totally unneccessary imho on this count, as others have imho correctly stated whats happened, the pipe comes of as reported by many people & as boot is closed 99% time, the water is coming out of the pipe, running down as its facing downwards & into the boot, naturally water will always follow the path downward as such, so it gets to the lowest point being the wheel well, the pipe doesnt tend to break in the hinge or roof liner, but of the wiper mechanism all the time.

Totally unneccessary imho on this count, as others have imho correctly stated whats happened, the pipe comes of as reported by many people & as boot is closed 99% time, the water is coming out of the pipe, running down as its facing downwards & into the boot, naturally water will always follow the path downward as such, so it gets to the lowest point being the wheel well, the pipe doesnt tend to break in the hinge or roof liner, but of the wiper mechanism all the time.

Nige is correct, 99% of the time it is this but when i checked mine all was well on the motor. Mine actually come apart where there 2 pipes connect behinf the rear quarter panel that sits above the parcel shelf quite near the roof. Was a bitch to find so if you do find your wiper motor is connected ok then check behind that panel.

Nige is correct, 99% of the time it is this but when i checked mine all was well on the motor. Mine actually come apart where there 2 pipes connect behinf the rear quarter panel that sits above the parcel shelf quite near the roof. Was a bitch to find so if you do find your wiper motor is connected ok then check behind that panel.

Agreed - but always check the obvious first and the OP wasn't aware that it was a common problem.

What a very honest opinion, ha ha. Probably agree with you most of the time but because of the location of the water and the location of the drain holes in the tailgate when it is the pipe the water doesn't make it's way into the car as it would have to flow upwards then over the rubber and along the back panel trim then eventually down into the spare wheel well, thats quite a journey and to get the amount of water that he says is there the pump would probably have to be on constantly. I would definately be checking the motor first and hopefully it'll be that but i'd keep an open mind.
It was the pipe on my A4 by the way, ha

OP wasn't aware that it was a common problem.

Yes Mikey, but lets be honest here, Dani isnt a stranger to the site, a simple use of the search function would most likely turn up some answers before a thread, dont you think, given how many times we've read the same problem?

Ah - the search function that either people are too lazy to use or always blame for not working !!lol

It should be a requirement that a search should be carried out before a thread is posted.

Either that, or, for problems that we know have been answered a million times, first reply should be "do a search first and then come back if you haven't got the answer"

:beerchug:

Thanks for the advice guys.

Thought it would be something along this line.

How hard is it to get the boot plastic off? Is it a case of with mine you just have to it off and then pop it back in with the metal spring clips?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Thought it would be something along this line.

How hard is it to get the boot plastic off? Is it a case of with mine you just have to it off and then pop it back in with the metal spring clips?

You have to remove two torx screws from inside the lid, sort of behind the number plate area.

Then, with the boot lid fully open you have to 'yank the plastic cover downwards. Do this each side and the rest is obvious but be careful not to lose the spring clips or the rubber buffers attached to the plastic.

Replacement is a reversal but make sure the spring clips align with the holes correctly or you could break the plastic