Monster MotorsportEM Tuning

Thread: In a hole.....

Neutral

Status

In a hole.....

So, the price of petrol is a bit :-(..... Got some ŁŁŁ to spend and went and drove a 123d M, and a 330d M today....

....oh and they are nice cars but OMG....no where near as nice as my 2.0T Quattro!!.

Should I just stick with it till 100k....Everytime I get in her she makes me :-)!! I just can't find anything else which makes me

2. # ADS
    ADS

events moderator

Status
    bmw havnet got fook all on audi the build quality on bmw's has gone down hill big time over the last few years audi is well ahead of bmw in that area + they just drive so much nicer because they havent got those stupid run flat tyres on them like bmw's have so it makes the rind very very hard sorry bmw dont do anything for me at all i drive them and work on them in work audi's win hands down simples
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fnmrst View Post
    bmw havnet got fook all on audi the build quality on bmw's has gone down hill big time over the last few years audi is well ahead of bmw in that area + they just drive so much nicer because they havent got those stupid run flat tyres on them like bmw's have so it makes the rind very very hard sorry bmw dont do anything for me at all i drive them and work on them in work audi's win hands down simples
    No arguments with that...

Mate: 330d - New Turbo, new cooler. new box, new torque convertor
    Parents: X3 2.0d - New Turbo, new cooler. all round springs, new flywheel & belts
    Mate: 320d - New cooler, w pump & belts

All above under 3 years & warranty.....

Neutral

Status
    "Simples"

events moderator

Status
    simple really lol

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by dean_watford View Post
    No arguments with that...

Mate: 330d - New Turbo, new cooler. new box, new torque convertor
    Parents: X3 2.0d - New Turbo, new cooler. all round springs, new flywheel & belts
    Mate: 320d - New cooler, w pump & belts

All above under 3 years & warranty.....
    says it all really doesnt it lol , we have had problems with bmw 335 petrol with the turbo's going again warranty fix as well as auto box problems

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    I sympathies with you. I too have been looking at most things as my A3 gets a little long in the tooth. The BMW route is a nice idea but the reality is its a backward step. 996's WILL break down ! 997 is a better bet but if you want a Porker guarantee then you are looking at Ł50k. Evo is a possibility but if you want new you will take a Ł10k as it leaves the show room and anything above a 330 is a 4.5 month service schedule although its just oil basically. The A5 is silly money if you want a 3.0d and auto. A 3 year old one out of Audi warranty will still cost you Ł30k with any sort of spec and you need the spec if you are going to get money back on it. the thing i keep coming back too is the Merc SL !! a late one . I just cant find much on the reliability on the net.
    For you if the Price of petrol is a problem and lets face it, its going to get a lot worse, then why not a A3 again ? 2.0d 170 ? stick a basic map on it if you feel the need. Or if you have a bit of cash the Diesel TT is a stonking thing. dont think its a A3 in different clothes, its not, its much lighter/responsive and great fun.
    As for me ? still looking for inspiration
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    I sympathies with you. I too have been looking at most things as my A3 gets a little long in the tooth. The BMW route is a nice idea but the reality is its a backward step. 996's WILL break down ! 997 is a better bet but if you want a Porker guarantee then you are looking at Ł50k. Evo is a possibility but if you want new you will take a Ł10k as it leaves the show room and anything above a 330 is a 4.5 month service schedule although its just oil basically. The A5 is silly money if you want a 3.0d and auto. A 3 year old one out of Audi warranty will still cost you Ł30k with any sort of spec and you need the spec if you are going to get money back on it. the thing i keep coming back too is the Merc SL !! a late one . I just cant find much on the reliability on the net.
    For you if the Price of petrol is a problem and lets face it, its going to get a lot worse, then why not a A3 again ? 2.0d 170 ? stick a basic map on it if you feel the need. Or if you have a bit of cash the Diesel TT is a stonking thing. dont think its a A3 in different clothes, its not, its much lighter/responsive and great fun.
    Cant argue with that.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Status
    Not wishing to plug it but a Derv TT puts out more torque than my 3.2 and weights significantly less, has a variable vain turbo that gives it bottom end grunt, revs to 5k, 140mph, does 50mpg and is only Ł120 for ya tax disc...
    The reason i know all this is i looked it up after i had a blast against one on the the A140. I had the edge and eventually passed it at illegal speeds. Its roll on power was impressive and while i was a little quicker, not enough to go past him without feeling a little embarrassed at my lack of pace. !!!!! In the real world a second here or there is really not going to make a lot of difference.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    So much wisdom of late, did you miss the bus with the other 2 kings

Serious note, I also cant argue with that, seems allot of us are hunting for something new, but keep coming back to a vag branded car, notably A3, but I am torn between staying 8P & getting something newer, going back to an S car also notably an S3 sb stronic or sticking with derv & maybe A5 corridor, arrgghh the anguish, let alone the cost.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    The reason i know all this is i looked it up after i had a blast against one on the the A140. I had the edge and eventually passed it at illegal speeds. Its roll on power was impressive and while i was a little quicker, not enough to go past him without feeling a little embarrassed at my lack of pace. !!!!! In the real world a second here or there is really not going to make a lot of difference.
    Yeah & I bet he used about Ł1 in fuel & yours Ł20, thats the problem with the 3.2 & the like, fuel gauge goes down quicker than Jordan, my S4 was ridiculous, 16mpg at times, but as it wasnt my bill at the time then wasnt too bad

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    ... seems allot of us are hunting for something new, but keep coming back to a vag branded car, notably A3
    that's exactly what happened to me when i decided to go for the 2.0T last year - on balance it was the best car available for the money but it really depends on your price bracket. if i had a bit more cash i might have gone for an A5 or a Golf GTI - ah well, maybe in a year or two!
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

Status
    The 3.2 has never been chronic on petrol but by todays diesel standards its not good. I get pretty repeatable figures over 5 years of 25 running about in the winter 27 in the summer and up to 32 on my regular M25/M11/A1065 run to Cromer.
    The last loan car i had was a derv 2.0 A4 and i got nearly 50mpg on that where the 3.2 does 27mpg. for a largish 4 door exec saloon thats pretty impressive in my book Later i had a 3.0 derv A4 and that was a superb engine and still did nearly 40mpg.
    Mt problem is Size, i am down to 18stone now and in proportion for 6ft4"....nearly...... but i dont fit in a TT/997/370GT etc because i dont have the head room. Even an A3 with a sunroof is out its that tight.

On a journey...

Status
    "The cheapest car is the one you already have".

I've done the sums regularly on what it would cost to change to a newer car - e.g. newer A3 TDi 170 quattro or S3. The only way it's "cheaper" to swap to a newer car is if you always pay a monthly PCP / lease and don't intend to ever stop. In that situation, you might just make a saving on fuel and tax to offset the montly payments.

If you own your existing car outright, owe less than it's worth, or intend to keep it - then there is no way that a newer / more economical car is cheaper.
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic (2010) - Brilliant Red
    Technology Pack (RNSE 2, Bluetooth, 6-CD stack), BOSE, roof rails, 2 child seats and 310bhp

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    If you own your existing car outright, owe less than it's worth, or intend to keep it - then there is no way that a newer / more economical car is cheaper.
    i assume this means if you're buying new, right?
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    Not wishing to plug it but a Derv TT puts out more torque than my 3.2 and weights significantly less.
    best will in the world, a North sea ferry weighs less than a 3.2 and also has more torque
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    lmfao

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    that's exactly what happened to me when i decided to go for the 2.0T last year - on balance it was the best car available for the money but it really depends on your price bracket. if i had a bit more cash i might have gone for an A5 or a Golf GTI - ah well, maybe in a year or two!
    Its a strange world when you need to do some more saving to buy a Golf over an Audi with the same engine!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben H View Post
    "The cheapest car is the one you already have".

I've done the sums regularly on what it would cost to change to a newer car - e.g. newer A3 TDi 170 quattro or S3. The only way it's "cheaper" to swap to a newer car is if you always pay a monthly PCP / lease and don't intend to ever stop. In that situation, you might just make a saving on fuel and tax to offset the montly payments.

I have to agree, too many people these days change their cars based on fuel economy when it ends up costing them more on loans/pcp or however you want to pay for it.

If your A3 is running well with no issues then why change? Run it into the ground, it will give you less hassle than a new bmw thats for sure.
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    Its a strange world when you need to do some more saving to buy a Golf over an Audi with the same engine!
    Whats even stranger is, I dont hear many turbo's going on mk5's, that have same poxy engines aswell, weird that.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    best will in the world, a North sea ferry weighs less than a 3.2 and also has more torque
    This weight thing is a myth !! so is the under-steer I can more than compensate for the weight by leaving my wallet at home

how many miles does a Ferry do to the gallon anyway.....You come over here with ya 8L and start calling the shots..lol

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    You come over here with ya 8L and start calling the shots..lol

Why have you supercharged/turbo'd yours?

I am new over here matey.... i really don't wana annoy you this early in our relationship

Lee: totally agree fella, i personally think it's an excuse to change. This car i have ran for 3/4 years, the last was 6 years!! unless your changing annually and getting a good deal then you always tend to lose - dont ask me how that works, I just know of people who do exactly that and never seem to lose money!! lucky sods i guess.... cos they never seem to downgrade

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    This weight thing is a myth !! so is the under-steer I can more than compensate for the weight by leaving my wallet at home

You come over here with ya 8L and start calling the shots..lol
    Your wallet cant be that heavy Paddy after that 10k bill :P

Yeah you 8L animal (sshhhhh I had my S3 for 7 years & still miss it, but dont tell anyone, shhhhhhh)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    Why have you supercharged/turbo'd yours?

I am new over here matey.... i really don't wana annoy you this early in our relationship

Lee: totally agree fella, i personally think it's an excuse to change. This car i have ran for 3/4 years, the last was 6 years!! unless your changing annually and getting a good deal then you always tend to lose - dont ask me how that works, I just know of people who do exactly that and never seem to lose money!! lucky sods i guess.... cos they never seem to downgrade
    You will never annoy me mate I have more S3 jockys on my case than i care to think about...its just jeliousy ya know

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    your farts do sound better than mine fella they just don't stink as much

that's why you should trade up

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    the Mk6 doesn't have the same engine anymore, and would be more expensive than my 2006/55 A3 2.0T

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: