My new word for the day... MUFFLERECTOMY @ StyleDynamix Hayes

~RS~

Reaction score
Had a catback fitted today at StlyeDynamix exhaust center (Hayes). Wait was kinda long to have it done but I half expected that from what I have read in general about getting custom exhausts fitted and to be honest is mind settling as you know its not a rush job! Had plenty of tea's at the ready good conversation and movies playing in the rather warm waiting area so can't complain really. Gotta say, I'm pleased with the immediate results! I was actually very surprised on what it did to the way the car drives/ performs tbh as from reading if exhausts are worth the bother if not going down the hybrid route gave mixed opinions. I'm no good at explaining these things and a tuning/mech newb so I won't embarrass myself trying to get indepth, but what I did notice immediately was the car is slightly more eager in 4/5/6 @ lows revs and there is less lag in the turbo now. Actually pulls a little harder too, or so it seems anyway. The exhaust note is not as loud as I anticipated but it sound real nice when your heavy with the right foot. Could be a little louder but I am told the decat will make it louder still when that get's done so I'll wait till then before tweaking anything. Low revs it sounds very OEM to me, hardly notice it was on there.

What I had done was to remove the back box completely and have a silencer/ muffler box just after the center section of the system. Was a little apprehensive about what it may sound like after hearing a straight through sys on Passat they had there, not that it was crap sounding, but I couldn't live with it as a daily due to the loud turbo sound and 'Woooosh - booom!" produced upon accelerating. Was eager to hear what mine would be like after hearing that! I was praying we were singing off the same hymn sheet!!:sadlike:

The lads there are a good laugh though, had a few chuckles while I was waiting, their video on a **** exhaust job done by a competitor was rather amusing! Subtitles were a nice touch :sly:

See here:
YouTube - Exhaust on bmw gets rebuilt @ styledynamics/styledynamix 0208 561 0001

One of the lads there - Craig wound me up after finishing an MR2 they had on the ramps... It sounded good after they'd finished but a lil loud for me... upon enquiring whether mine would be as loud I was told with a straight face that it should be a little louder, kinda like a scoobie which I took a pause to think about before seeing the smile start to creep onto his face.... I'm told customers have been told their car had fallen off the ramp for a giggle, then they forgot to tell them it was a prank! Lmao! good set of lads...

Anyway, I digress...

I have been told by chipped UK whom I got my remaps of, that I should disconnect the battery overnight to reset the ECU then connect back up in the morning and let the car idle without revving at all for 10-15 mins. Something to do with the throttle and ECU learning, I be ****** if I can remember exactly what it was now. But I believe it is to get the best from fitting the catback. We'll see if this does anything as I gave her a good blast on the way back. New exhaust and the good diesel I put in, ummmmm what's it called... V power that's it, lol... and it's fast as you like! :happy:

Here's a few dodgy pics taken on off my phone of the exhaust and next bit to come out the cat! I was like a kid in a toy shop as I never seen under my car before! lol!! Sad ay, I know but seems that bloomin modding bug has bit me good and proper! After the spool up difference from just the catback, I'm thinking de-cat then hybrid and new maps! Until the misses cotton's onto how much it will cost with other mods planned! Lmao!!

Picz:

Now if any of you guys are as green as me to this stuff here's wear your cat is and what the thing looks like:ninja: excuse pic quality

Cat.jpg

Rest are self explanatory...

centersection.jpg

Silencerandrear.jpg

Exhaustrearunder.jpg

Exhaustrear-1.jpg

Opinions good or bad appreciated

Last edited:
Cheers N8, much appreciated :)

Was let down on a set of coilovers, when I get now looking at springs again poss sportlines, here's one of the rims.

speedline.jpg

nice! but it's technically not a muffler"ectomy" because that implies you've cut the muffler out when you've changed the entire exhaust.

you can call it a "hemi-exhaustectomy with artificial exhaust graft and end-end catalytic converter anastomosis".

geeky moment over.

Last edited:
Lol, yer I know it's not technically, lmfao, mufflerectomy but I never heard the word till today.

N8 u mean u couldn't tell! :p just kidding, they are reps bro. Looking for a set of caps so I'll sort those soon.

i prefer mufflerectomy anyway lol, i just felt like being a pedantic sod

so how noisy is it?

It's not that noisy tbh, just a nice purr upon accelerating. The noise factor was forgotten about when I started noticing the difference in response :eyebrows:

Lol, yer I know it's not technically, lmfao, mufflerectomy but I never heard the word till today.

N8 u mean u couldn't tell! :p just kidding, they are reps bro. Looking for a set of caps so I'll sort those soon.

Genuine caps are £9 each + vat from TPS, I picked a set up yesterday funnily enough

I have three genuine speedline alloys off my A3 in the garage if anyone wants some. All need a refurb due to water getting under the lacquer on the rim as usual.

you've modded your A3 to be a 3 wheeler :scared2:?

guess it's not really a "quattro" anymore then lol

nice! but it's technically not a muffler"ectomy" because that implies you've cut the muffler out when you've changed the entire exhaust.

you can call it a "hemi-exhaustectomy with artificial exhaust graft and end-end catalytic converter anastomosis".

geeky moment over.

If you wish I could clarify this by doing a contrast enhanced retrograde CT mufflerogram with volume rendered, surface shaded 3D reformats?

geeky moment over.

Cant tell he's a Doctor can yer lmfao

Cant tell he's a Doctor can yer lmfao

If you wish I could clarify this by doing a contrast enhanced retrograde CT mufflerogram with volume rendered, surface shaded 3D reformats?

Seems we have a radiologist in our midst! (i'd need to ask my consultant before i can send a request for a CT - trust policy, sorry! bet they regretted that decision now they're being woken up every night to approve urgent CTs LOL)

Maybe he just watches Holby.

lmfao, nah ER

Scrubs :undwech:

Oi, dont knock the rule of Scrubs, repeat after me, Though shall not curse scrubs & write it 20000000 times on the blackboard.

let's be honest, the med school season is sh!te

and have you oldies all rallied together and decided to make school teacher jokes? paddy was giving us a lecture on another thread and put us all in detention.

TBH I love the series, never ceases to make me laugh & has some fitties on there at times too.

Hey if a fertility consultant tells you its good for you & keeps the tubes clear & prostate in good health apparently, then who am I to question them lmfao

fertility consultants are gynaecologists... is there something you're not telling us nigel?

Wow this thread veered a little off course ay. Scrubs was a pretty good show when I used to watch it!

Lil update on what the car is putting out after map + cat back. Had an RR run done at AMD. I Was told results were pretty much spot on for map + exhaust. Been told the power doesn't increase with cat back system so wasn't expecting much over what mappers (chippeduk) quoted gains were tbh.

Here's the RR printout, graph shows no loss of bhp or torque on the curve. Feels a little more responsive for some reason after coming of the RR? I did enquire and there are no changes made while on there to settings so am lost to see why that would be the case? Puzzling but I'm not complaining I can tell you!

RRprintout-1.jpg

As you can see the readout show 182HP + nearly 300lb/ft Torque near exactly what chippeduk claim. That was using their performance map which I've been running since trying it out a few months back. I think the next thing I will do is add hybrid turbo when funds permit. Was told that 220-240hp is achievable without any loss in reliability or ride as daily driver, but regular servicing is required non of that audi longlife nonsense.

Any TDI guys that have a hybrid turbo care to comment on the reliability and drive of the car once fitted? What else did you upgrade and what figures did you achieve?

Last edited:
182 sounds great :D, ive dun mufflerectonomy on lots of 1.9tdis isnt that loud when you still have the cat in, when the cats out its alot louder so be prepared for that. some people dont like the sound of the car on idle when everythings out ( it farts a little ), what i did was fit a backbox that had no baffles inside it and then have a straight pipe removing the cat until the bak box. still gave the same sound as a full muflerectonomy without the farting sound on idle.

Hi zedzo, that's pretty much what they done on mine. It has 1 x silencer but its near center section apposed to the tail pipes where back boxes usually are. Done this as it tucked up into a recess in case I want to have a real low drop when lowering, it wont catch over bumps etc. I hope it doesn't get too loud when removing cat, it's pretty quiet now until you put your foot down. It feels a little quicker than 182hp in gears 3-6 though, suppose that's the torque.

Get a vid of it... I'm interested to see what it sounds like!