A3 2.0 FSI engine issue

mattysupra

Big BHP!
Reaction score
Hi all, just purchased a A3 2.0 FSI (2005) . It has a engine issue!

What its doing is when cold (when i say cold the car is in tenerife so already at maybe 30c ) it sometimes starts to missfire and the revs are bouncing up and down. But this seems to go after a few secounds.

Now twice we have gone to pull off (when its running correct) and all of a sudden it losses power and you end up stalling. It has done this twice in a row.

Then it went into a heavy missfire and the car would not run!

2 minutes later the car starts and drives fine! done 100 miles without a issue and then the same issue again when it has cooled down 2 hours or so later.

Also there was a loud beep when driving down the motorway but no lights on the dash? What was that all about?

Im thinking maybe Coilpacks or AF sensor fault? is this a common issue on these cars?

What do lot think?

I'd check with a diagnostic machine/ VCDS first but it does sound like a coil pack fault. They are reasonably common faults.

I'd check with a diagnostic machine/ VCDS first but it does sound like a coil pack fault. They are reasonably common faults.

I wish i could but the car is in tenerife (im back in the u.k now)

They dont seem to of progressed into using scanning / vagcom etc over there yet.

The car was taken back to the garage it was purchased from under warranty ( had car less than 1 day!) And they said you need to just rev it more !

When i said i think it may be a coil pack etc they didnt have a clue what i was going on about. I can see me having to fly back over with a few parts and hope we guess the fault and then charge the garage for the parts.

P.S- the car is actually my little sisters who lives in tenerife before i confuse anyone :)

i had a coilpack go on mine they are a problem area for the fsi engine and they are usually cheap too , i got mine from euro car parts for £25 each

i had a coilpack go on mine they are a problem area for the fsi engine and they are usually cheap too , i got mine from euro car parts for £25 each

Thats alot cheaper than i thought they would be. Might be worth me buying 2 and trying that. Anything else i should take with me to try?

After all tenerife is not the closest of places to go and try and fix the issue!

Also , what sort of money could i purchase vagcom for. Would i be able to find the fault using that?

I used to have it but gave the lead and dongle away with my RS6 when i sold it. Not that i knew how to use it but if i can get a copy cheap enough it migh be worth me flying over and giving it a go.

dont know soz dude apart from vag-com i dont know what else , i think they go for around £200 from ross-tech mate the cheap ones on ebay prob dont tell you exactly whats wrong with the car just "its got a falt" lol

Sounds like coil pack mine just went on my tfsi and got from audi and was only £35 so now cheap fix hope this helps

Anyone got a idea what the loud BEEP was while driving down the motorway? No lights came on?

One thing i should add maybe. There is a spanner showing next to the milage. I presume this is the service light and not a fault light? The service was supposed to of been done before collecting the car but the garage "didn't have time!" They only had 4 days to do the ****** service!

others say it's a coil pack, but i had a similar problem with my 1.6 non-FSI and it turned out to be an EGR valve fault - worth checking that too.

others say it's a coil pack, but i had a similar problem with my 1.6 non-FSI and it turned out to be an EGR valve fault - worth checking that too.

I thought Audi only had them on the deisel's? I take it yours is a petrol?

So what was the fix with yours? strip plus clean or new parts?

I thought Audi only had them on the deisel's? I take it yours is a petrol?

So what was the fix with yours? strip plus clean or new parts?

it was a couple of years ago. the car became pretty much undrivable - even with full force on the brakes it would lurch forwards, and i was driving in city traffic. i pulled over and called the AA. the guy came out and basically disabled the EGR valve by breaking it somehow and it was replaced at a later date.

my understanding was it was a sticking solenoid, that then allowed the wrong amount of exhaust to recirculate and that massed up the air:fuel ratio = misfire. it can be disabled and the car will run fine, but will fail an emissions test. considering it can be disabled i reckon it's worth giving it a go first because it'll cost you nothing to check. and if that doesn't work, then look to the coil pack(s).

best of luck!

I had to do the EGR on my petrol Fsi too - its plastic(????) teeth snapped off. It put the EML on though

I had to do the EGR on my petrol Fsi too - its plastic(????) teeth snapped off. It put the EML on though

Good point. It put mine on as well

But it did when my coil pack went as well!

im wondering if they have removed the ecu/engine managment light or if the bulb has gone. Knowing what most of the mechanics are like in tenerife they will presume that if the light comes on you remove the bulb to fix it!

They have the car now tho so cant check. Guess i should of checked all the dash bulbs worked before.

another member reported that the person he'd bought off had put some black sealant around the bulb so you couldn't see it - so it's entirely possible!

another member reported that the person he'd bought off had put some black sealant around the bulb so you couldn't see it - so it's entirely possible!

jeeze! The bulb is actually an surface mounted led so it can be removed without de-soldering it lol.

jeeze! The bulb is actually an surface mounted led so it can be removed without de-soldering it lol.

thats good to know.

Just makes me wonder what the loud beep was tho. My old RS6 used to make the same noise when there was a fault but it would light up a buld/ display to tell you what the issue was. In my case it was a fault with tyre pressure sensors and the other time to tell me a rear light had gone.

Hi everyone.

Still have this issue. It happens every couple of days now. The car went to AUDI for a diagnostic check and has come back as no issues? However they wouldnt let us go to the AUDI garage with them to see them do the test. We have however been given a 5 page print out that im waiting to get emailed to me so i can see it.

Anyway, is there anyway of doing a test myself by bridging out pins maybe like you do on BMW/TOYOTA ETC and it will flash engine light on dash or something if there is a issue?

Thanks in advance.

So the people you bought the car off of took it to Audi & told you what Audi said? I'd be inclined to pop in the dealer & speak to them myself & make sure they are telling you everything. Surely if bought from a garage under trading standards it needs to be fit for purpose, if not repaired/repairable then return it?

So the people you bought the car off of took it to Audi & told you what Audi said? I'd be inclined to pop in the dealer & speak to them myself & make sure they are telling you everything. Surely if bought from a garage under trading standards it needs to be fit for purpose, if not repaired/repairable then return it?

Sadly the car is in tenerife and they dont work to the same sort of standards we do in the U.K.

They seem to make up the rules as they go along. They even issued us with a bill for the AUDI diagnostic which my sisiter has refused to pay.

There verdict is that we are not driving the car properly. They said that when its miss firing etc when its cold that you need to rev the engine more as this is normal for a cold engine!!!

They should try coming to the U.k then if they think a cold engine is 25-30c before you start it lol! Obviously we dont need to do that in the u.k when its been -15c etc do we!

Also i dont speak spanish so its hard for me to speak to them. My sister whos car it is and lives in tenerife speaks perfect spanish but trying to get her to translate for us with words she does not know like 'coilpack' etc is hard work.

Im very close to doing a full write up and slatting the company she brought the car off and posting it on the web for others to see. Maybe that will make them sort it out.

just to add, this issue seems to be worse when or after it has been raining. Obviously it dont rain very much in tenerife but it has over the last 24hrs. My sister has just phoned me to say that she had to start the car 3 times. Basically the car would start and then cut out and it done this 3 times in a row.

She reported this to the garage she brought the car from and they say to hold the revs up untill its warm, this is normal ! Dickheads.

Also they have told here off for starting the car before all the dash lights go out. They have told her that she needs to turn the ignition on and wait for all the dash lights to go out before she starts the car other wise she will damage it.

jeeze, what a lot of crap. I jump into mine, start it without any waiting for lights to go out & drive off within seconds. It doesnt hesitate, misfire etc. Its did this even when it was -12 here! I find it impossible to believe there are no codes stored in the car!

so:
coilpacks?
injector?
potentiometer on the throttle body?
air leak weakening mixture?

After it dies or looses power, it would be handy if somebody could immediately remove the plugs & check the condition of them.

jeeze, what a lot of crap. I jump into mine, start it without any waiting for lights to go out & drive off within seconds. It doesnt hesitate, misfire etc. Its did this even when it was -12 here! I find it impossible to believe there are no codes stored in the car!

so:
coilpacks?
injector?
potentiometer on the throttle body?
air leak weakening mixture?

After it dies or looses power, it would be handy if somebody could immediately remove the plugs & check the condition of them.

Yep, i need to fly over and check myself.

It will be just my luck that it wont play up tho while im there. Also there is the issue of getting parts out there, every thing takes ages to get so cant just nip to audi to get a new coil pack etc.

I will upload the diagnosic sheets in a minute

as Khufu has mentioned, first and foremost call the Audi garage and confirm they've actually seen your car. something sounds dodge.

as Khufu has mentioned, first and foremost call the Audi garage and confirm they've actually seen your car. something sounds dodge.

I belive they have seen the car. But i dont think they have any idea what they are doing.

I did not belive how bad the service was in tenerife but i have now witnessed for myself. They seem to tell alot of lies or are very stupid!

here is a example for you. Before we purchased the AUDI we went to a SEAT main dealer. They had a SEAT a couple of years old with 1 owner. Always been serviced at the dealer also. I check the car over and it is clear that the car has had alot of repair work. I point out this to the sales person and they try and tell me that the car has never had a accident or any type of light repair work.

Before i list what i found wrong i may add that i used to be a accident damage repairer so know what to look out for.

The car had almost been fully repainted. There was jigging marks on the chassis from where it had been 'jigged', one rear quarter glass had been replaced, there was signs of filler on the cills! The passenger side door hinges had been welded on and very poorly at this. I would also say the car had had a roof skin along with quarter panel.

I look underneath and the rear arms was new. I mean brand new with stickers and oily finger prints on them. The exhaust was new but rear heat sheilds missing....... the list goes on!

Now this was a main SEAT dealer and this car was in there show room! Like i say i questioned them about it and they denyed it had been repaired. Well they was lying! there was filler dust sat on the front bottom arm. If the car had been driven it would of blown off in seconds. This car had just come out of there repair shop at the rear of the same building. There full of crap!

Let me give you one more example of how bad they are!

We purchased a wirless router from 'P.C City'. Pc city is pc world but renammed for spain. Anyway this wirless router did not work. I had to reset it for instance due to teh password had been changed?

Anyway we took it back, they gave us a replacement one, but i then watched them pop the one i just returned back on the shelf for sale again? WTF? It dont work!