Stereo upgrade sportback?

koen_dr

Reaction score
Website
spaces.msn.com
I've ordered my sportback without a sound system, since I'm going to have a decent one installed. My only question to you fellow owners is what's the speaker size????
16cm = 6.5inch or 13cm = 5.25 inch ????

Please help me??

[ QUOTE ]
richy said:
its the smaller out the 2... but ive installed 6.5's!!

with a few modifications of course..

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you manage to still keep the factory look on the doors? If the modifications are on the inside of the door only, I'd love to hear and/or see how you did it.

Looks good! Howabout the front, do you have 5.25" or 6.5" there? From what I have heard so far fitting 6.5" in the front is quite challenging, if even possible at all without heavy and visible modifications.

My ride is going to be delivered without any of the factory stereo packages, so doing a custom installation is on the top of things to do as soon as the car arrives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Isnt the Bose upgrade a good move? Its what I've ordered...

doors_s_pic.jpg

door_s_pic1.jpg

Nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Is that a Focal you have in there?

A couple questions pop into mind. Were you able to install these with "standard" adapters, or did you make your own? The adapters I have seen on sale have all been made for 5.25"..

Second, where did you put the crossovers into? Assuming ofcourse that you are not running an active setup in which case you wouldn't need them in the doors..

And last, how much depth is there inside the doors for the speakers? Did you purchase yours based on their installation depth, or do you suppose almost any 6.5" would fit?

loads of questions.. he he

yeah they are the focal 165 k2's..

the cross over is actually in the dash as its the middle point for the mid and tweeter..

the speaker in the door has been put in there with custom MDf rings that are bonded together and then shaped to fit the speaker and door tight and then has been covered in dynomat.

there are no adaptors on the market as you said...

i got the speakers based on the fact i like the speakers focal do.. and without going into silly money i feel they give the best all round quality i required...

so i got them and then it was just a case of making them fit.

i had a set in my golf last year so i knew they would fit.. with a bit of work..

oops k2p's ive got, which replaced the k2's

no the standard speakers are mounted on the actual door and not the door card in anyway..

on the pics i have put on you have to take the black plastic trim around the handle off.. you can get this off with your hands usually or a small rubber coated screwdriver so as not to damage the trim.. then unscrew the bolts under neath that..

then all the ones around the end and then you simply lift the door card up and it should pop off..

MAKE SURE YOU DONT RIP OUT THE Electric blocks on the electric windows and door light..

hold the door card close while you unclip them and they take off the wire that the handle goes on from the door.. and then it should be off..

Thanks for the instructions, sounds simple enough. Excellent choice from Audi in changing the mounting point to the actual door!

Did you have any problems in mounting the tweeters to the factory locations? It looks from the outside like there is plenty of space there, but you never know until you actually take a look..

the standard tweeter is surrounded by a foam thing.. and so take that out... pop your focal tweaters in.. then fill the gaps with whatever u like..