Unexpected RNS-E message - "police announcement"

gordongecko

Reaction score
Every now and then when playing mp3s from an SD card in my '08 S3 the music will stop and a black screen will come up on the satnav screen "Info. Important Message. Alarm!". This is accompanied with a message on the DIS saying something like "758 Test" (I forget the actual number). Nothing else happens but if I press the CD/DVD key the music starts playing again and that's it. Overall nothing to worry about really

Well today I was driving along and the music stopped again, only this time the DIS said "949 Test". I thought I hadn't seen this before so I didn't do anything. A few secs later a "ding dong" sound came from the speakers followed by a voice saying "Police announcement, caution, hazard ahead, slow down" on repeat.

Sure enough a bit further down the traffic had stopped and I saw the blue lights of a police car flashing. The traffic was stopped for a minute or 2 and then the police car sped off and we got going again.

I am a bit dumbfounded to be honest! Has this happened to anyone else? I have pics I took with my camera phone while stopped if anyone is interested. I am guessing it came through as an RDS update??

It's a TMC message. In other countries (Holland for one) these messages are used to warn drivers of speed traps.
What country are you in?

UK. Never had it before and I've been driving this car for almost 3yrs, strange

Yea i have had some strange traffic announcement recently on my RNSE., "Caution , slow moving traffic in 3 miles" was one. Congestion ahead 20 miles is a common one on the M25 regardless of whether there is any congestion...lol