front bumper for an a3 2004

jonnysimm

jonnysimm
Reaction score
hi i was just wondering if any one knows if i can fit a s3 or the sport bumper on my 2004 audi a3 at the moment it has the split front bumper but i would like the bigger front grill with out the split e.g 2007 or 2008. i know i cant put the 2010 one on it becuse u have to change the whole front end but i would just like to take the old one off and put the new one straight on. if any one can help me i would apprecate it. its the newer shape not the same as my profile pic because i have got a new car and not updated my picture.​

No is the short answer, i believe you have to change the bumper, bonnet, fog lights and grilles to get the facelift version. I'm sure one of the A3 guys or girls will correct me if i'm wrong !!!!!!

it WILL fit no probs but you have to change the bonnet and aluminum slam bar behind the bumper as well as the bumper the grills and the fogs are the same on the split grill and the full grill but if you want to do the s-line bumper as abouve but with different fogs and grills but the bonnets are the same

thanks again but would either of them fit without changing the bonnet? im just really looking at just changing the bumper can this be done?

basicly this it what it looks like it doesnt fit
19042008.jpg

Hi guys just found this on the Internet it's the same modle is mine and he has changed the bumper without changing the bonnet ? Have a look n let me know wot u think?

Joe90k's A3 8P 2.0 TDi S-Line S-Tronic - uk-audis

Many thanks again

Joe on here and he would of had to change his bonnet aswell. I've done the conversion my car a 54reg and you will need a bonnet. As fran has shown if you dont you will have a few inch gap on either side.

Last edited:
How annoying. Wot is the latest year I can upgrade to 07 or 08 ? And where did u get ur bumper from ?

many thanks what about this bumper which is 07 not 08 like the last one?
Audi A3 Sport Front Bumper Complete on eBay (end time 19-Jan-11 20:10:23 GMT)

I don't think it's been mentioned yet.... you don't have to change the slam bar behind the bumper if you go for a standard/sport bumper. This is only necessary for s-line/S3 bumpers, and even then you can get away with trimming to down if you want to save a few bucks.
If you already have fogs I think you can re-use these also if you go for a Sport bumper.

New bonnet is a must though.

How much difference is there between the s line and sport all I can see is the lip at the bottom of the bumper ? But think in would go for the s line because it looks better. But I'm better with the 07 s line then ? Because the lights changed on 08 modle ?

Sport front end:
mediaid963812859.jpg

S-line front end:
mediaid960555404.jpg

As standard with no splitters etc I prefer the s-line front, but I saw somewhere a standard/sport front with some tweaks (splitter etc), and for me it looked better than any s-line front I have seen so far.

I'll try to find the photos.

Thanks for tht the s line is nicer. Yeh if u can get hold of a pic I would appreciate it.

I don't think it's been mentioned yet.... you don't have to change the slam bar behind the bumper if you go for a standard/sport bumper. This is only necessary for s-line/S3 bumpers, and even then you can get away with trimming to down if you want to save a few bucks.
If you already have fogs I think you can re-use these also if you go for a Sport bumper.

New bonnet is a must though.

As Aythree said you need to change slam bar or trim it 2x20cm but thats only on the S3 bumper.
Dont need to change the bar for any A3 bumper :)

How would u trim it down ? Is there a certain way or just get the saw out ? Lol im new to all this u see.

As Aythree said you need to change slam bar or trim it 2x20cm but thats only on the S3 bumper.
Dont need to change the bar for any A3 bumper :)

Really?? I always believed you had to change or trim the reinforcement bar if you went s-line???
Sure i've read it quite a few times.
I could be wrong though.

.....having to change or trim the bar was the only thing putting me off of changing my single grille sport bumper to an s-line.

Benskin - confirm that I'm wrong. Please! Then I'm on ebay buying an s-line bumper plus extras. :yes:

According to benskin you don't have to replace or cut it, its just a straight swap of the bumper. And he's probably right because he knows a thing or two about front conversions.

How would u trim it down ? Is there a certain way or just get the saw out ? Lol im new to all this u see.

I just got a mini electric saw and cut it lol.

Really?? I always believed you had to change or trim the reinforcement bar if you went s-line???
Sure i've read it quite a few times.
I could be wrong though.

Only for the S3 bumper as the foglights surround area is the issue. If you try fitting an S3 bumper without cutting or replace the bar it wont fit on as the bar will stop it. Need to cut the bottom corner 2cm up and 20cm a cross and then no issues :)

.....having to change or trim the bar was the only thing putting me off of changing my single grille sport bumper to an s-line.

Benskin - confirm that I'm wrong. Please! Then I'm on ebay buying an s-line bumper plus extras. :yes:

Haha Sorry mate, in work so dont have time to check asn all the time. Yes im correct im sure some of the other guys can confirm this aswell? Send Nigel a quick pm, he confirmed this to me back in 08 when he started his front end conversion. Also my uncle wouldnt listen and tried to fit it without letting me cut it and it wouldnt fit in till it was trimmed down to size.

According to benskin you don't have to replace or cut it, its just a straight swap of the bumper. And he's probably right because he knows a thing or two about front conversions.

Aww why thank you:wub::laugh:

So I can't cut it down if I go for the s line ? Have to replace it ?

Lol ok sorry Jon may have confused you. Any A3 bumper up to 8P2(early 2008) can he fitted with no cutting. You only cut or replace bar with an S3 one if you want the S3 bumper.

i don't think you have to trim the bumper to go from Sport -> S-Line. double check, but i think you only have to for S3.

i don't think you have to trim the bumper to go from Sport -> S-Line. double check, but i think you only have to for S3.
thats good to know for when i do my front end conversion i thought you had to get a new bar for the s-line too happy days

Sorry to bring this back up . I have a question i have a sportback. it is a sport model from jan 07, i like the new bumper off the sline .would i need a new bonnet as well to fit it?

Last edited:
Sorry to bring this back up . I have a question i have a sportback. it is a sport model from jan 07, i like the new bumper off the sline .would i need a new bonnet as well to fit it?

No just need an 8P2 s-line front bumper dont need to change the bonnet :)