2.0 Tdi or 2.0 Fsi ?

aras_Aslan

Reaction score
Hi guys I m new to board and wondering which engine sounds more beatifully both outside and inside. I mean which sounds better when it is revved and used for performance. Thanx

Is this a joke?

If your idea of a nice sounding engine is something that
reminds you of a taxi then go for a diesel...

Oh and I bought a diesel before anyone flames me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

J.

heh, yeah. You should buy a Zetor if you're asking that question for real /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

Actually, I don't think the 2.0TDI sounds that bad when revved, but it does sound a bit like a tractor at low revs when cold (and like a taxi at low revs when it's warm!)

However I've been really impressed with the peformance of the TDI, even if it's a bit noisy (and occasionally smoky when booted). Personally I think it feels at least as quick as my old 1.8T GTI.

[ QUOTE ]
Paul_M said:
However I've been really impressed with the peformance of the TDI, even if it's a bit noisy (and occasionally smoky when booted). Personally I think it feels at least as quick as my old 1.8T GTI.

[/ QUOTE ]

....and will be even quicker if you have it remapped!

Acctually diesel engines can sound good also. My father has a Merc E320 cdi and it sounds perfect inside when revved (some metallic music coming from engine) but of course a diesel cant sound good outside. How about 2.0 fsi is it like peugeot s or something more mettalic?

MMMMM, 2.0 TDi at -5 in the morning, that'll wake you up!

jasew, that won't remove the engine noise infront of the car. Anyway, some say even 2,0FSI sounds like a diesel, while 2,0TDI sounds like a tractor.

Just to point out, neither sounds good as engine, you need to check out BMW's I6 for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. But to some people the taxi/tractor noise of diesel is still too much, I personally don't like it, but that's just opinion. Why don't you aras go to some dealer and listen to both?

- Yak

I think the TDI does sound quite good externally when warmed up - a quartet of world strongest men with very large sledgehammers.

The FSI does sound slightly dieselish when idle/coasting, but sounds quite good (although a bit tinny) when booted. If you want a really good sounding A3 engine then you only have two choices - the 3.2 or the 2.0 turbo. I think the 2.0TFSI sounds fantastic, for a 4-pot. The 3.2 is another world - but so is the fuel consumption.

For me, engine noise is one of the key reasons performance diesels will not (at least not yet) surpass performance petrol-engined cars for overall driving excitement. Sure, the TDI is quick (I drive a Sportback 2.0TDI so can vouch for the engine firsthand), but there's no drama; it just goes and that's it.

My previous car was a Focus ST170 which could rev to well over 7000rpm and boy was that fun! At that engine speed, the variable cam timing was in full force, which meant that as well as the terrific acceleration, you had the soundtrack to match. I realise everyone's different, but for me it's this which provides the adrenaline rush.

As for which to buy, I think the TDI would be very hard to turn down in a straightforward comparison. The balance of performance and low running costs, including slow depreciation/better residuals, makes a very strong case for itself. All you can do I suppose is test drive both back to back.

Yeah but, no but, (Little Britain fan)...I think we are confusing the whys and wherefores here. I bought a tdi for the reasons you mention - power v economy/depreciation. I use my car. To drive to work and back - 40 miles a day. To take touring holidays in France etc. I'm not that wealthy to be able to afford the running costs of a 2.0T or 3.2. My father in law drives a Roller - all 6.5 litres of it. He travels to his shop and back everyday - around 8 miles (and a gallon of petrol I would think). A good many people in these parts have powerful, expensive to run cars, that sit on their driveways all week. Good. If you want an expensive toy - fine. Apart from ideological/ecological arguments, (and yes actually, I would like to save the planet,'cos I've got a 15 year old daughter that's got to inherit it), the roads in the S.E. are so ****** clogged anyway, that imo, a 3.2 lump is an extraordinary waste of money - no matter how good it sounds. I agree that petrol engines are probably more fun - I drove one for 30 years. My wife's 1.6 Focus, is more "fun" around town than my 2.0tdi. But let's be clear about our terms and criteria. On my daily run, my beautifully put together A3 diesel is plainly more sensible. End.

Aras,

You really need to try both mate and decide what you want the car for.

I tried both. The FSI is quiet inside and out. The TDI rattles like a tractor when you are sitting at the traffic lights and is quite noticeable inside the car.

I went for the petrol as only do low miles and so don't need a diesel for economy reasons. I wanted something that would get me from a to b with good economy, quietly and in comfort - the 2.0 FSI satisfies that. Probably only do about 100 miles a week normally.

I spend a lot of time at low revs in queues around town, the TDI clatter inside the car would've driven me mad. The 2.0TDI certainly did pull well though and put a grin on my face, just not ready for a diesel yet! If I was doing a lot of miles on the open road, I'd probably have gone TDI for economy reasons and the fact the diesel clatter is probably less of an issue when cruising the open road.

They are both great cars, your driving needs probably dictates which one.

I looked into depreciation. Some of the car guides indicate the TDIs will have better residuals, though if you look at used Sportback prices on the Audi website, doesn't seem to be much in it. One dealer I visited said 2.0TDIs currently have better residuals as the engine is relatively new and popular and there aren't many used examples available. However he thought that might change in the next year as they are quite common fleet and business use vehicles and there will soon be a lot available second hand when the cars are returned\traded in and this could dampen residuals.

There is no right answer, depends what you personally want the car for and how you are going to use it.