Solar Orange general consensus

1animal1

The Clar!! it mouves!!!
Reaction score
As above peoples, whats the general opinion of the 'orange'...i am quite liking it but think i'll get bored of driving something so 'bright' - plus theres the unwanted attention and being ringfenced with our Focus ST counterparts

probably 35-40/60 torn - open to opinions to help me make mine :)

Orange Car = Yuk! unless it's a Lambo...

Cheers,

personally i think its a great colour, BUT it is very look at me!
it all depends on how much you like to stand out as it will draw an awful lot of attention to the car, both good and bad

Personally think it's an excellent colour which not many people chose. If you were to get it I think you need the black optics grill in my opinion!

The only downside though which everyone has mentioned, you don't want people to think it's a Ford and it may get more attention

I quite like Solar Orange Tim. Here some photos to help you make up your mind, all four S3 use to be on here. Not all S3 but couldnt find many. I dont think every one could live with the colour or has the balls to get it but id have a Solar Orange S3. But i also like Imola Yellow thought about it? This S3 looks lovely. Also hurry up and get an 8p:happy:
If i was to get an S3 have to be either Sprint Blue, Imola Yellow, Sepang Blue, Solar Orange or Suzuka Grey IMO they are the best colours to have an S3 in. Dont get me wrong i like Phantom Black, Ibis White etc but there so many S3 in those colours (and sprint blue).

imolayellows3bbslms.png

Solar's
orangeS3-02.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

3930326252_988ea65f04_o.jpg

IMG_0264.jpg

15721_414408247602_507442602_5184594_486543_n.jpg

15721_414408262602_507442602_5184596_4857501_n.jpg

15721_414408277602_507442602_5184598_216950_n.jpg

DSCF4131.jpg

solaroranges30-1.jpg

solaroranges31-1.jpg

Others
2743706967_a8a88e5d85.jpg

l_78bf0474ccb4d22c3d0201a6f968da26-1.jpg

mediaokx.jpg

4936040103_1d2249511a_b.jpg

bf174a27.jpg

5042554307_6a2de94fb7_b.jpg

Ohh just found these ones aswell
f720_27.jpg

uxwjp.jpg

media.jpg

media-2.jpg

Last edited:
I pass an Orange S3 on my drive home from work most nights, really stands out (in a good way) would probably be my choice of colour if buying new. Certainly doesn't make the car look cheap anyhow.

I really wanted a Orange, Yellow or White A3 when I bought mine, I ended up with a Phantom Black one!

I think its a great colour, it is a look at me colour but seen as ive owned yellow cars in the past i dont mind it. I did consider an orange S3 before i got my black one but i could not find one locally.

cheers guys, i agree with most of the above.....it does look nice but think i would hate the bad attention it would bring.

My thinking is the same as yours Benj.... steering away from black due to keeping clean (even though im all over that issue!!), white is nice but only when its someone elses (for me anyway), id have one initially but would get bored.

I have grey now as you know but think on the 8P it makes the rear splitter blend in too much, taking away some of the cars feature

Prefs have been yellow, sprint (think sprint is no.1), sepang blue ive not seen?, the orange is still a possiblity and strangely enough that 20k orange is what made me ask the question....the car has a lot of the options i want, RNS-E ive got as a must which i had budgetted £600 for and so could retro fit myself, cheap car that but 48k on the clock which is quite high for a 2009 car....but then i wasnt looking at getting rid after a year, more like 3 to 4...so could ride out the average - that said i am yet to drive a manual 8P, until then DSG is featuring in my thoughts and i cant get rid of the urge!!

Last edited:
If I ever decide to get a 8P S3 it will be in orange, love a orange black edition S3, has soo much road present and you never ever see them.

Reactions: PantherS3
Sepang blue is deeper and slightly better colour than Sprint in my opinion

new_image_1.jpg

thats the fear i suppose, there are lots of the popular colours naturally and with you not seeing an Orange.... i dont want to make it an **** to sell..although without stereotyping, as the resale reduces it will prob get more selling potential....

.... Expensive option though at the same time, if I had an extra £1500 spare at the time of purchasing mine I would have had it, without question

cheers guys, i agree with most of the above.....it does look nice but think i would hate the bad attention it would bring.

My thinking is the same as yours Benj.... steering away from black due to keeping clean (even though im all over that issue!!), white is nice but only when its someone elses (for me anyway), id have one initially but would get bored.

I have grey now as you know but think on the 8P it makes the rear splitter blend in too much, taking away some of the cars feature

Prefs have been yellow, sprint (think sprint is no.1), sepang blue ive not seen?, the orange is still a possiblity and strangely enough that 20k orange is what made me ask the question....the car has a lot of the options i want, RNS-E ive got as a must which i had budgetted £600 for and so could retro fit myself, cheap car that but 48k on the clock which is quite high for a 2009 car....but then i wasnt looking at getting rid after a year, more like 3 to 4...so could ride out the average - that said i am yet to drive a manual 8P, until then DSG is featuring in my thoughts and i cant get rid of the urge!!

Here Sepang blue doubt you will find one for sale in that colour as they are quite rare and only one member on here David has had that colour lol. I wouldnt let miles put you off if your gonna be keeping it for a while. But if your gonna sell it in a year or two would be an issue. You can retro fit alot of the 8P stuff these days. Take both for a test drive and decide if you prefer manual or DSG. I had a DSG A3 and loved it.

sepang2.jpg

sepang7.jpg

1903258-1.jpg

1903258-9.jpg

1903258-3.jpg

1903258-6.jpg

Other cars in the colour
sba31.jpg

sba33.jpg

audia5sepangblue.png

5328588552_fb0d14065c_b.jpg

3513022596_2452880864.jpg

3513025466_d20acbe523.jpg

new_image_1.jpg

Last edited:
spotted a high miler TTRS yesterday for 21k!!! it had gone though, not a fan of high milers unless i know i can sort it over time... but that was a bargain!!

spotted a high miler TTRS yesterday for 21k!!! it had gone though, not a fan of high milers unless i know i can sort it over time... but that was a bargain!!

sounds like a bargain at that price. Have you seen any S3 for sale that you like?

I had an orange S3. Looked good, but I think the colour in general has dated now quite quickly

David

sounds like a bargain at that price. Have you seen any S3 for sale that you like?

seen a couple with the spec i want but they have been pre...and i want DRL's :(

I had an orange S3. Looked good, but I think the colour in general has dated now quite quickly

David

yup....i think key consideration is 'keying' risk and 'ST' rarity (or lack of)

seen a couple with the spec i want but they have been pre...and i want DRL's :(

yup....i think key consideration is 'keying' risk and 'ST' rarity (or lack of)

Lol yeah you can get pre-facelift S3 with decent spec quite cheap under £20k easy. But for the facelift S3 with decent spec either gonna have high miles so the price will be lower or still going to be going for £26k+. Or they are just gonna have hardly any spec with 20k-40k and be alot cheaper. Just remember the main options you want and the rest can always be retrofitted. Seen a few facelift S3 for under £22k over the last two months or so. Just keep looking your in now rush im guessing the right one for you will pop up soon-ish and good luck with the sale

P.s i hate every person with the new drl on the A3/S3. Every time i see them i think my car dated and i want them in my life lol!

Oh and when the new car feeling wears off dont go for a stage 1 map, go striaght to stage 2+ its immense the difference

Lol yeah you can get pre-facelift S3 with decent spec quite cheap under £20k easy. But for the facelift S3 with decent spec either gonna have high miles so the price will be lower or still going to be going for £26k+. Or they are just gonna have hardly any spec with 20k-40k and be alot cheaper. Just remember the main options you want and the rest can always be retrofitted. Seen a few facelift S3 for under £22k over the last two months or so. Just keep looking your in now rush im guessing the right one for you will pop up soon-ish and good luck with the sale

P.s i hate every person with the new drl on the A3/S3. Every time i see them i think my car dated and i want them in my life lol!

cheers buddy, thats my thinking too...i know i'll want them everytime i see them!! unfortunately the DSG, electric foldings and sunroof aren't self fit jobbies, but 2 out of 3 would be nice.....RNS E, interior lights, ipod and bluetooth i can happily do myself, guessing ambient lighting is as easy as the 8L too? drill two holes and fit the module?

Oh and when the new car feeling wears off dont go for a stage 1 map, go striaght to stage 2+ its immense the difference

will do mate, although bit hesitant on that for the clutchs sake, another plus for the DSG....was going to do fuel pump, maybe fmic then stage 1..but then its only the DP thats stopping stage 2 isnt it?

will do mate, although bit hesitant on that for the clutchs sake, another plus for the DSG....was going to do fuel pump, maybe fmic then stage 1..but then its only the DP thats stopping stage 2 isnt it?

the DSG box is meant to be very strong so taking 2+ shouldnt be a problem, obviously with a manual, it will destroy the clutch with that much power, but even at stg 1 the clutch will be on borrowed time, so that will have to be a factor if you do go manual
if your wanting to go beyond stg 1, you will need a CAI and a full TBE so allow £1500 for that, if your doing the fuel pump as well, then thats you ready for stg 2+ and at that point a fmic will be a good idea come the summer months, but if your going that far with power mods, then it will be worth looking at upgrading the pads, hoses & fluid, as well as putting coilovers on (maybe ARB's as well)... a lot of work, but no point having all that power if the car cant handle it

yup totally agree there, i dont know whether it was because it was an SB or not but that test drive car seemed a lot more boatlike than my 8L...which is a heavy beast as it is, perhaps its my perception or perhaps because i was going faster than i realised/or would have approached a roundabout in my 8L due to the refinement....

if im honest ill prob stay away from stage 2, i know the benefits, just not that into it to want to go beyond anything i cant return to standard - easily

haha its always easyish to return to standard... will always be a long list of people on here itching to take parts off you (normally me), so just depends on how good you are with a spanner or if you will have to pay someone to un-tune the car
either way tho if you do decide to go beyond stg 1, imo its better to do it in stages, that way it spreads out the cost means you dont get bored of the power too quickly

I really like solar orange & would have had one until my second choice colour of sprint blue came up really cheap.

Really liking the liquid metally colour of sepang blue though. I'd search one of those out...

haha its always easyish to return to standard... will always be a long list of people on here itching to take parts off you (normally me), so just depends on how good you are with a spanner or if you will have to pay someone to un-tune the car
either way tho if you do decide to go beyond stg 1, imo its better to do it in stages, that way it spreads out the cost means you dont get bored of the power too quickly

exactly why im leaving the mapping until at least 6 months old, as it is i'll have the same power as mine as standard which im happy with...then i have that initial map to look forward to as i did with mine - unfortunately the daunting task of unbolting a mani is not sumat i'd relish, id imagine its easier than the 8L in terms of space though? or am i dreaming that :)

thats what i did with mine, space it out and enjoy the steps
to be honest i have no idea how much room there is, im one of these people that is ham fisted & pay people who know what they are doing to do it for me... i just about managed to fit my CAI myself and that resulted in cut fingers, scraped knuckles and more bad language then a season of the sopranos!

man after my own heart haha!! i like to think im pretty handy, managed to custom fit a stealthy fmic on the misus car along with various custom parts...never attempted mani though and dont think im inclined to, neighbours a mechanic so will prob pass the buck onto him and his 'hot spanners'...although my newly purchased socket set is itching for its first use!! you never know, you could see a thread asking for an emergency tap and die kit due to me sheering some bolts off :)

haha having a mechanic next door is pretty useful!! always good to have someone on hand incase things got a bit wrong
haha sure it wont come to that, just need a torque wrench and should be sheer free lol

the ONLY tool i am missing now as it happens!! and one i can't lend as most mechanics keep theirs at work...booo... £30 off the bay should do the trick ;). Sheered nuts referring to them not coming off and therefore the thread breaking off, needing a bit of drilling.... knowing my luck :(

haha na pre soak with WD40 is what a mate of mine swear by and hes not done a nut or bolt yet
ooo eb careful, dont want to jinx it haha

*touching wood so doesn't matter* :) oooh errrr :/

These should be easier than the 8L surely given the age of the cars im looking at - famous last words and all!!

Black edition Orange looks good to me. Needs black wheels though. sepang looks like Mauritius to me !Avoid white, its difficult to think of a more bland colour than white !!

gorgeous colour, but not for me unfortunately. when i've got my "sensible" hat on i think of resale values

(and probably explains why one of the facelift S3s in the myriad of photos above is listed at a main dealer for only £19 995)