HID/Wipers question

sachen

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So i put my HIDs in my car (quite an old set from my old car) only to find out canbus kicks in after a few seconds and cuts them! I also happened to wipe my windows but the motor (i think) messed up as the HIDs were on!

I am getting the motor replaced tomorrow, but I have now bought canbus cancellers for my HIDs. Would this also solve the problem of the wiper motor blowing?

Ive read on here that a few people have had the same wiper problem after fitting HIDs, just wondered if theres any way around it?

Thanks!

yeah dont put them in only use oem xenon's as aftermarket one allways blow the wiper motor its been proven a hundred time by countless amount of people

Canbus cancellers will not solve the wiper motor problem.

The only way round it is to fit OEM xenons.

lame!!!

how much am I looking at to get them bought? I wont even try putting them in then!

Outta curiosity... why does this happen? Surely the wipers have nothing to do with the headlights!?

Last edited:
depends on if you can find some on ebay / free adds etc.. they are a bit expensive from audi i would budget for about £500-£600 for it

£750 ish for the pair from Audi (according to ETKA). You may get them cheaper if you can find them on German Ebay but make sure they are for 'left hand traffic'.

£750 ish for the pair from Audi (according to ETKA). You may get them cheaper if you can find them on German Ebay but make sure they are for 'left hand traffic'.

Defo not getting HIDs for that price! Loved them in my old motor as well!

i loved the m in my a3 till they blew the wipers lol , unfortunately audi's are expensive to buy parts for thats the joy of owning one lol

I dont know if anybody is sure of exact reason but there seems to be a spike when they are switched on that affects the canbus system which must make it way to the electronic controller for the wiper motor. All the components in the car are linked together using the canbus system. The canbus canceller your tlaking about will be to stop the warning on the DIS of a bulb being out. The newer systems with digital balast claim to be safe for the A3 but you pays your money & takes the chance.

I don't think the canbus canceller does anything accept the warning on the dash. As I've had mine for about a Year then the wipers Went.....

So how much would a wiper motor cost? And are they easy to replace yourself or does it need to be done by a proper mechanic?

Approx £200 from Audi - may get cheaper on Ebay.

Haven't blown mine so don't know how easy to replace !

Attempting to put these HIDs in is causing me more pain than its worth!!!!! Doesn't help it raining at the moment aswell!

So how much would a wiper motor cost? And are they easy to replace yourself or does it need to be done by a proper mechanic?

I got my from ebay for about £30 ....But I was lucky....no body else bided.

when i had my last a3 s line i wanted to put HID's in mine but as i read they blew the wiper motors i didnt bother but had them in previous cars and loved them. now with my new a3 its fitted with Bi-xenons and there the bollacks and look soo much better.
so i say oem or dont bother.

Good news! Only had the car a week so took it back saying wipers don't work and I don't know why! Proper blagged it and they sorted it for free! Result!

Will just end up getting some PIAAs or something now I think

thats a stroke of luck mate happy days , but yeah its not worth trying again as i dont think they'll fix them again for free lol