opinion on 3.2 wanted please!! (high mileage)

lincoln_dj

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
well the first 3.2 bought last summer didn't end well. had the stretched timing chain issue, audi wanted best part of 3k to fix so it (eventually) went back to the cowboy dealers who sold it me. only thing was, this left me without a car (had traded in old one) and ended up buying a SEAT leon cupra R 225.

now dont get me wrong, it is a nice car, got a tidy low mileage one with FSH etc, but i still miss the audi! anyway, spotted this at a low price, rang up and it had 97K on it. just a bit weary about such a high mileage even though it has full audi history and they will do a 2 year AA warranty on it (which i know would cover the cam chain)

so just wondering what people's opinions of the car were (link below) and on having a high mileage 3.2 in general...

2004 AUDI A3 3.2 V6 Quattro Sport

Cheers, Adam.

Hi Adam

Nothing wrong with a few miles on an Audi V6 if properly maintained.

There is something not quite right with this one. It is advertised as a Sport yet has SLine wheels and S line badges on the rear sides. I am 99% sure that in 2004/5 Audi introduced an SLine Pack for the sport before establishing it as a model in it's own right. The seats look standard Sport yet the steering wheel appears to have SLine logo on bottom. I would check to be 100% sure although there are similar on Autotrader!

Good luck... but Bath (Box) is a long way from you if any problems!!!

Last edited:
Looks a nice car with the Votex kit on and could well be an S-line judging by the dark headline etc. assuming it's not all been added!. Rear Votex skirt is missing the black vinyl inserts, or they've been sprayed over.
No dsg box to worry about BUT the mileage is a little off putting though with all the reported chain problems.
If the mileage doesn't bother you and there's no nasty noises/hesitation problems then insist on a decent warranty.
There does seem to be plenty of cheap 3.2's about now though so no need to jump in if it doesn't seem right.

I cant comment on the 3.2 but my 2.0T Quattro has got around 97K on it now and is silky smooth. The key is a good history and most Audi engines will be sweet as a nut :)

Looks a nice car and is not far from me though not had any dealings with or heard of that car dealer but then there are a lot around here!

If the timing chain is a worry then get it changed. Okay it will cost some money, but you will have piece of mind that its been done....

cheers guys

yeah i been having a think today about this, and my thinking is that if the full audi history looks good, and it's been a bit of a rep car then i'm guessing a lot of the 18k a year has been on motorways. also a lot of other threads seem to put my mind at ease regarding mileage, as the actual condition and history is more important - especially after reading of an s3 with 300k on it!

when i rang they said they can do a 24 month AA warranty so that would put my mind at ease regarding timing chain and also the fact i can get repairs done locally (have used AA warranty before on an alfa romeo so i know they are one of the better warranty companies out there!)

also it IS a sport. i did wonder about the s-line steering wheel etc. i seem to come across quite a few earlier (pre s-line) models like this. my previous 3.2 was a sport but badged as s-line, even had receipt for s-line badge with the history! lol

if it's still there saturday morning i'm not doing owt all day so i'll take it as a sign to go look at it :) obviously taking my vcds software!

Last edited:
All the S-lines were listed as sports in the log book. Mine is 04 genuine S-line but at that time they were sold as sport s-lines. I would like to see annual service history rather than Audi long life at that mileage. I don't think its cheap. Mine is pretty immaculate , 48k miles with its chains done and full service history etc and Audi offered me £6k for it.
If youi have a warranty then you should be fine.

I don't know if this is a little too late, but I have mine for sale now....

2004 (53) Audi A3 3.2 V6
Lava grey
Leather/alcantra seats
66k milage
Timing belt replace at approx 60k
FSH from audi
Mot'd for 9 months
Tax'd till december
Immaculate condition
£4300 ono
Selling because need a bigger car for family.

well the first 3.2 bought last summer didn't end well. had the stretched timing chain issue, audi wanted best part of 3k to fix so it (eventually) went back to the cowboy dealers who sold it me. only thing was, this left me without a car (had traded in old one) and ended up buying a SEAT leon cupra R 225.

now dont get me wrong, it is a nice car, got a tidy low mileage one with FSH etc, but i still miss the audi! anyway, spotted this at a low price, rang up and it had 97K on it. just a bit weary about such a high mileage even though it has full audi history and they will do a 2 year AA warranty on it (which i know would cover the cam chain)

so just wondering what people's opinions of the car were (link below) and on having a high mileage 3.2 in general...

2004 AUDI A3 3.2 V6 Quattro Sport

Cheers, Adam.

My car came with AA Warranty, wasnt worth the paper it was written on when the turbo went on mine