Pleeeaaassseee help - I think my car is poorly :(

skippy0712

Reaction score
Hello

Please help - I dont want my car to be poorly, but I think it is :(

I have an A3 3.2 V6 quattro... there is a couple of things that I hope you can give me advice on...

when I go on small trips - of only a few miles - after I stop it and turn off the engine, there is steam coming out of the front grille :( is that normal? I have never had a car that does that before. I have only owned it during the winter and I dont know if its the cold weather that is doing it? and it is only on short trips.

The other thing is that it hesitates - its as though it has turbo lag, but it doesnt have a turbo. doesnt matter if its cold or fully up to temperature, it still does it. If you completely plant your right foot it wont do it, but normal driving it does :(

break it to me gently - is it Kaput? :(

Thankyou :)

What year is it.? milage? DSG? Any fault light recently, is it loseing water ?
Most importantly can you hold 2k revs in park smoothly ?

Do not worry about that link Aythreee has posted its not very helpful of him

Last edited:
Well the poster is worried and that thread will scare the **** out of them and probably needlessly :)

My bad. I just saw "3.2" and "hesitation" so you can see why I did it.

But he can read it, and if it doesn't apply to his problem then great.

And for Bully's special prize... he'll be aware of it just in case it ever does apply to his car.

Knowledge is power!

:lmfao: love how you to are spilling this into another thread:huh::lmfao::applaus:

Hahahahhaaa!! It's like one of those movie fights that start in a carpark, smashes through a window into a shop, out through the back door, over a wall, into someone's back garden, through the patio doors, up the stairs, and ends up in someone's bedroom while the home owners are getting jiggy with it!

Hi again - sorry if I have caused an argument :( being the new girl, I dont wanna do that lol

It is an 04 (54) done 72k, not a DSG, not sure about the water thing, but will check and do you mean just revving it to 2k while not in gear? will try that too :)

Thankyou

You need to try and hold the revs at 2k with the needle steady and see if it is smooth.

Have you checked your hoses in case you have a leak somewhere?

As for the hesitation, quite a few of us 3.2 owners have had issues but as the link to the thread above, an ecu flash and its sorted. As Paddy said, pop it in neutral and rev it to 2k revs, see if it will hold at 2k or if the needle jumps about and you cant hold the 2k. The 3.2s are a sensitive animal but well worth having.

haa haa so it was true! You really did love that loan car when Smelly was being fixed lol! Hope it didnt have the flower stickers all over it!

Hahahahhaaa!! It's like one of those movie fights that start in a carpark, smashes through a window into a shop, out through the back door, over a wall, into someone's back garden, through the patio doors, up the stairs, and ends up in someone's bedroom while the home owners are getting jiggy with it!
way too much detail there aythreee lol

Steam from the grill to me would indicate a leak in coolant system possibly, rad leak & the 8P's do have some history of this, maybe check coolant levels after each run, see if they drop & look under the car for leaks or coolant stains in the bay.

im still on the hunt for the disappearing coolant still cant find the cause tho but it has slowed down alot in this cold weather thankfully i'll get the boys in work to do a pressure test on it to see if it leaks from anywhere

I have finally managed to test it at 2k, I can keep it there in neutral (once my foot has settled down to it lol) but I have to say that it is a couple of digits either side of the 2k that it hesitates... is that gonna be the same thing do you think?

Your next step will have to be a trip to Audi and get them to check it has the latest flash upgrade for the ECU.

TPL procedure number: 2005748/4
Internal message code 8P01A005 or update CD No. 4F0 906,961 N

Copy this and show them and they will check.

Either way you need this upgrade so its not money waisted. Its unlikely that it has been done yet.
This upgrade addresses a mixture issue with fueling at and around 2k revs.
HTH

Just to add to what Paddy says, the dealer will probably state that your car has the latest update for your car as they don't recognise the hesitation issue, but the update does cure it. You really need to know what the current software code is before you get fobbed off by them! Do you know anyone with VCDS or you could get it scanned by a local member if you ask nicely.
As for the big hesitation thread, don't read too much into that as ultimately it was the software at fault.

The point was Ay that the hesitation thread goes through a 100 possibilities from a bad earth strap on the exhaust to " its the work of the devil" over 20+pages before we eventually came up with a soloution.......and even then it wasn't the answer to my problem. As 3.2 Ju says

"As for the big hesitation thread, don't read too much into that as ultimately it was the software at fault"

dont get me wrong i am not criticizing anyone who is being helpful and that was your goal its just the whole thing became a sore point to me so its my fault really :)

The point was Ay that the hesitation thread goes through a 100 possibilities from a bad earth strap on the exhaust to " its the work of the devil" over 20+pages before we eventually came up with a soloution.......and even then it wasn't the answer to my problem. As 3.2 Ju says

"As for the big hesitation thread, don't read too much into that as ultimately it was the software at fault"

dont get me wrong i am not criticizing anyone who is being helpful and that was your goal its just the whole thing became a sore point to me so its my fault really :)

:icon_thumright: