Warped disc and ESP / ABS lights.

bigchewie

Reaction score
After the car being off the road for a month jumped back in the other day and all seemed well, apart from a slight thudder type noise from the brakes, to begin with I thought it was just a bit of rust etc build up on the new grooved fronts I fitted a few months ago but with a couple of mates listening in the car it appear to be warped rears. But while driving home from a Skiing yesterday, and doing a steady 70, the ESP light began to flicker and kick in the TC cutting power a little, in the same way if losing traction. it became a bit more frequent then evenutally came on solid along with the ABS light. After stopping the car to nip to supermarket, I started back up and all lights went off but on the short journey home, the ESP light flickered on once.

I'm now snowed in a bit but I was wondering, If the disc is warped( fairly sure it is and going to change them ASAP) would it cause theoretically the brake to bit a little and fool the ESP / TC to think that all wheels were not getting same power/grip and cause the ESP to engage? The Car jsut passed 100 000miles yesterday too so is prob being temperamental, the Car is a 54 plate 8p, 3.2 V6, I forgot to mention, opinions and advice appreciated

i'd start by stripping and cleaing all the brakes, the rear may just be binding due to sitting so long. Also this would make sure the brake pad surface hasnt come away from the backing due to the frost. We got a lot of that on rear drums on peugeots last winter.

Cheers, will look into that. but I could prob do with replacing discs and pads anyhow. I would expect it to have freed up by now I had prob done 150miles before the ESP ABS lights came on.

when you went skiing were the roads clear or covered in snow? Maybe snow has stuck/froze to the hubs etc?

Roads were pretty clear all the way up and down. picked up new discs and pads the day as they are needing doing, will see if that solves it.