RS3 Spec and Prices. Would you...?

Swanny356

Reaction score
Finally received the spec for my RS3. Bit disappointed as dicussed in seperate thread that its only available in 5 door and with DSG only, but I can live with that.
Don't know if I can live with price Audi wants to charge for 'spec's' though. I can't post the PDF but if you're interested to summarise.

1) Basic cost £40k otr
2) Bucket seats £6k - admitedley with best spec
3) Colour other than white £1.8k to £2.5k

For the spec I would want I'm looking at nigh on £51k.

I asked my dealer why so expensive for buckets and he said 'O'h well you are going for a very high spec!' - Is it me or for a £40k sports car is it too much to expect decent seats?

I love the car and know there are only 400 going to be made but I think this is just not justifiable on a chasis that almost a decade old.

Ps When I asked why not available in manual dealer advised that a normal clutch could not take all that power. Is it me or did the old RS4 with over 400 bhp never move off the forecourts then??

Finally received the spec for my RS3. Bit disappointed as dicussed in seperate thread that its only available in 5 door and with DSG only, but I can live with that.
Don't know if I can live with price Audi wants to charge for 'spec's' though. I can't post the PDF but if you're interested to summarise.

1) Basic cost £40k otr
2) Bucket seats £6k - admitedley with best spec
3) Colour other than white £1.8k to £2.5k

For the spec I would want I'm looking at nigh on £51k.

I asked my dealer why so expensive for buckets and he said 'O'h well you are going for a very high spec!' - Is it me or for a £40k sports car is it too much to expect decent seats?

I love the car and know there are only 400 going to be made but I think this is just not justifiable on a chasis that almost a decade old.

Ps When I asked why not available in manual dealer advised that a normal clutch could not take all that power. Is it me or did the old RS4 with over 400 bhp never move off the forecourts then??

My bold - give you a clue about the manual - TTRS. Your pricing on paint is out and it is not limited to 400.

Edit: and why not post this in the RS3 thread where all this has already been discussed...loads. :yes:

Last edited:
if i had the money i would buy one in a heartbeat and wouldnt feel sorry to have it in my garage but 50k thats more like m3 money isnt it lol

change your stealer.....Camerons of Perth will be MUCH more competitive....more like £43k for your spec and more....

Yeah I specced one up on the UK configurator and it came to under 44k although I didn't add buckets. 50k does seem a lot so like elton says change your dealer!
I personally prefer the sportback over the 3 door but would rather have a manual and would still have one over an M3 or the new 1 Series M sport!

Sorry, but that much for a hatchback, any hatchback, is totally ridiculous.
You could get an actual sportscar for that, haha.

+1

jumped up A3 vs. M3 really isn't any contest.

neither is jumped up A3 vs. lightly used RS5 (when the price drops a bit)

Money down the plug as well. It might be worth that to you new but its going to plunge in value once it has 30k miles on the clock. £50k for a A3 shopping trolley is insane but someone will pay it !
Do they still chatge an extra £90 for a map light ?........lol

Call me in 5 years when I can get one for £12,000.
For £45k you could get a Vanquish or DB9! Or an Etype that's going up in value and looks 100 time better. You know you'll just be stuck behind a 1.2 Punto everyday anyhow.

Money down the plug as well. It might be worth that to you new but its going to plunge in value once it has 30k miles on the clock. £50k for a A3 shopping trolley is insane but someone will pay it !
Do they still chatge an extra £90 for a map light ?........lol

Not sure but it's £450 for the exclusive mat! And the OP has got it all wrong with prices. The main colours other than white..red,black,suzuka are not 2k and the buckets are £2k unless you go for the quilted diamond option which you would be more mad than peter sutcliffe to spec.
Anyways, stick this in the RS3 thread please before we have an overdose of them. I actually prefer the look for the beemer 1M.

Call me in 5 years when I can get one for £12,000.
For £45k you could get a Vanquish or DB9! Or an Etype that's going up in value and looks 100 time better. You know you'll just be stuck behind a 1.2 Punto everyday anyhow.

The cars DB9 and vanquish..brand new they were 100k or whatever..I wonder how much it costs to run these things..servicing must cost an arm and leg!

Fact is we all want to spec the car to a stupid price, but for 39900, assuming it drives half sensible in my books is a bargain, and extremely rapid, but we all want buckets etc. ends up 45k, then take in to account 20% VAT then you say hmm that is too much money

^^ not just the servicing, the paint quality is crap too.

A collegue has a DB9 and the corrosion on the thing is ridiculous.

Paint bubbling all over. Shocking.

Oh and in a year of ownership it's depreciated £18k :eek:

Isnt that quick either, oh but the sound, awesome though

Yeah I specced one up on the UK configurator and it came to under 44k although I didn't add buckets. 50k does seem a lot so like elton says change your dealer!
I personally prefer the sportback over the 3 door but would rather have a manual and would still have one over an M3 or the new 1 Series M sport!

BMW quality is way worse than Audi and their image is still crap. Guess there will always be rivalry between owners of both brands but I can't see me bringing myslef to owning a BMW.

Fact is we all want to spec the car to a stupid price, but for 39900, assuming it drives half sensible in my books is a bargain, and extremely rapid, but we all want buckets etc. ends up 45k, then take in to account 20% VAT then you say hmm that is too much money

Bargain ?? its a 20k A3 with 5 pot engine.......Ford RS is a 5 pot !! it really does not cost another £20k for a different engine. They did this with the TTRS and tried to sell them mainstream..lol. This time they have learned their lesson and are building limited quantities, not because its exclusive but because there are only so many plonkers out there. (400 by audis reconing) :)

+1

jumped up A3 vs. M3 really isn't any contest.

neither is jumped up A3 vs. lightly used RS5 (when the price drops a bit)

An A3 is a jumped up Golf which itself is a jumped up Skoda Octavia so you mean jumped up A5 too then....and the A5 is just a 2 door Skoda Superb! Where do we stop?

Gallardo a jumped up R8? Nope any R8 owner will tell you its a thinking mans Gallardo! .................Endless!

Paddy, try not to compare to already overpriced Audis :p, look at the car and say, what else gets to 60 in that time and how much does it cost, I think it is a competitive price with 20% VAT. I have not been told officially it is limited at all, on the contrary my dealer said they know nothing of a limitation.

Would you buy a Ford RS?

Bargain ?? its a 20k A3 with 5 pot engine.......Ford RS is a 5 pot !! it really does not cost another £20k for a different engine. They did this with the TTRS and tried to sell them mainstream..lol. This time they have learned their lesson and are building limited quantities, not because its exclusive but because there are only so many plonkers out there. (400 by audis reconing) :)

Totally agree with this.

In relation to the question of the thread "Yes i would" and infact i did yesterday!

I really went to Audi just to enquire but actually walked away placing an order. But some of you are right. For a 40K car it wouldn't hurt for Audi to throw in some bucket seats into their flagship models. Having said that, neither the RS4, RSTT or RS6 come standard with Buckets and these cars cost far more then the RS3.

I currently have a 2010 S3 which was already spec'd with buckets, and the biggest "Bug Bare" is that these seats are very inconvenient when you want somebody to get into the back. Standard three door front seats in any car are normally 'Pull n' Slide' but for some reason, these don’t work in the same way. With the RS3 being a 5DR I would have opted for the Buckets but in all honesty I can justify the money - 2.8K! Secondly I actually sat in the normal S3 seats yesterday and found those to be far more comfortable

I think the biggest thing for me is residual value on the RS3 will be far better then my current S3 and this was another reason I decided to change. Current allocation is 500 cars for the UK and so far (from what I have been told) only 5% have been sold (orders taken). My dealer has sold three cars including mine. Anticipated delivery is around May 2011 as production as not yet started. 10% deposit required on order.

Having never driven the 2.5/5pot, I test drove the TTRS. Sounded amazing, but I would have loved the RS3 in 6 Speed Manual. However you can’t have it all.

Spec:-
Daytona Grey
Mat Pack - Grill, Spoiler, Intakes
Bose
Folding Mirrors

BMW quality is way worse than Audi and their image is still crap. Guess there will always be rivalry between owners of both brands but I can't see me bringing myslef to owning a BMW.

BMW interior is no match for Audi and having owned both i can certainly confirm this. Alternate option is the 1M and the interior is naff in comparison. Albeit on paper, the performance is the same however the BMW is missing one vital thing - 4WD!

Sorry but i configured one just now and the price hit £48k ( without buckets or exclusive leather etc) and then they said...do you want mats at another £450...and i gave up....lol taking the ****.

Madness. Loads of other metal out there that takes my fancy for that money.

It is a bit overpriced for a 5 door hatch with and old chassis, but Audi is a 'premium' brand and you know yourself like for like their models are always going to be priced a good few grand more then a similar Ford for example, whether its good value or not.

And base on your logic regarding engine size/number cylinders and price, then a 2.4 V8 F1 engine should only be about 1.5 times more expensive then Audi's 2.5 cyl !!

And Audi's development costs for the 2.5 TFSI will have been a lot more then Ford's for the RS engine which is only a progression from the 2.4 T5 Volvo engine already tried and tested. The 2.5TFSI however has hardly anything in common with the 2.5 non turbo engine used in the US VW Jetta, even the block is a totally different material- compacted graphite iron instead of normal grey cast iron in the Jetta engine, so its pretty much a brand new engine.

So although the RS3 is a bit overpriced and poorly specced I think a lot of the RRP is them recuperating the high development cost of a limited numbers- pretty much brand new -engine that isn't going to be used in such volume as the 2.0TFSI for example, so won't benefit from such economies of scale.

Last edited:
Is it not the same engine as the TT-RS?

Yes it is,,but its still pretty much a new engine not used in any other Audis or VAG cars ( apart from TT-RS of course)

just specced mine...Almost 49K!! wa wa wi wa....apparently not even cruise or Bose are standard, what a pi55 take.

Thats what i said akash...its a **** take.
If you develop a new engine you reckon on recouping the cost over the life of production, not in the first one or two models to use it. Your comparison with F1 engines is daft , if you start down that road you will be justifying £30k steering wheels soon. I dont believe that engine was developed for just a couple of short run product ( RS models) or did they develop the 3ltr Turbo lump in the S4 and find it didn't fit in the A3 and TT in which case that was just bad planning.

And in any case as most S3 owners here think they can remap a 2.0 tfsi engine to 350bhp without any problems why did Audi not just stage 2 the S3 lump...that would have cost them ****** all and they could have really made a killing :)

Last edited:
An A3 is a jumped up Golf which itself is a jumped up Skoda Octavia so you mean jumped up A5 too then....and the A5 is just a 2 door Skoda Superb! Where do we stop?

Gallardo a jumped up R8? Nope any R8 owner will tell you its a thinking mans Gallardo! .................Endless!

well considering the A3 had the chassis first, an A3 isn't really a jumped up anything. it is very old tho, and no engine/chassis configuration of it is worth £50k really. similar story with the Gallardo - it had the chassis first. the R8 uses similar parts, but it's overall a softer car. strangely i don't think they're directly comparable for that reason - tho i'm sure ppl will disagree.

A5s have nothing to do with the Skoda Superb. not sure where that came from.

Why are you comparing an A3, vs M3? the Audi A4/S4 is a direct comparison, it is an A3 v BMW 1 Series

an M3 costs £50k, a properly specced RS3 costs £50k. they're both performance cars, and they're both supposedly meant to be practical. for that reason, it's a fair comparison.

Yes it is,,but its still pretty much a new engine not used in any other Audis or VAG cars ( apart from TT-RS of course)

just specced mine...Almost 49K!! wa wa wi wa....apparently not even cruise or Bose are standard, what a pi55 take.

no the engine in it's entirety may not be, but bits of it are. the block is from the US VW Rabbit 2.5, and i think the turbo is from the RS6. they weren't developing all new parts, so it shouldn't have taken them that long to make

I would of ordered one if there had been a manual gearbox, just for fun i specced one the other day with buckets etc and it was the thick end of 46k

an M3 costs £50k, a properly specced RS3 costs £50k. they're both performance cars, and they're both supposedly meant to be practical. for that reason, it's a fair comparison.

A new M3 cost about £56k+ DSG,specced a new RS3 for me is 45k, the RS3 is quicker, and will give about 20% more MPG, and I bet cheaper to run. Hardly a fair comparison, the RS3 is aimed at the new M1

A new M3 cost about £56k+ DSG,specced a new RS3 for me is 45k, the RS3 is quicker, and will give about 20% more MPG, and I bet cheaper to run. Hardly a fair comparison, the RS3 is aimed at the new M1

You do know the RS3 has not been made yet and not tested against anything lol?:think: So how would you or we know its gonna be faster than an M3? Because its slightly lighter?

EDIT: And its automatic haha

Last edited:
If im honest i find the whole RS3 talk BORING lol. Once there been a proper review on how it handles/drives etc etc. And we can go to a dealer see one in metal and test drive it. I cant comment on anything do with the RS3. If i had that money i wouldnt buy it new as its just a bit too expensive once you add options. And its a sportback and i prefer 3door and rather a manual with a car like that. I'd just go get an RS4 or maybe new S4 and forget all about the RS3 haha.
But i cant wait for my dealer to get one....

Last edited:
I tend to agree with you on an S4, but it is a very different type of car in performance, I am somewhat surprised they have not used that engine in the RS3, but I know I would miss the Turbo, over a supercharged, though that engine is quite modable

because the data is out there all ready.

And this data would be?

I tend to agree with you on an S4, but it is a very different type of car in performance, I am somewhat surprised they have not used that engine in the RS3, but I know I would miss the Turbo, over a supercharged, though that engine is quite modable

Yeah it is a different type of performance car. Agree think turbo best way in the 8P to go. But i'd still be pleased with an S4 engine in an 8P ha

Data is there 0-60 for new M3, Data is out for RS3, ok we have not seen a RL test on RS3, but for me all in all an RS3 will just pip an M3, also remember the RS3 engine can be remapped to stage 1 to 420 BHP odd as in a TTRS, again stage 1 on an RS3 maybe more, chances are RS3 gonna hit 60 in a fraction over 4 secs, who knows maybe less than 4 :)

We all want different things out of a car, I am not as interested in looks, mods, most options. I want an everyday car in comfort, ride, mpg, as well as fun on tap, in an all round package.

I am still on the fence, though, as many have stated some things just do not add up on the RS3 for me either, but for me it is the little things that they should have added to make it stand out more inside than a standard A3, and I still have not actually found out what the sport mode does to damping, and ride etc. if anything at all like the new S4 does.

I just think some people have put the RS3 so high on a pedestal in their minds but expected it to be Loud/ Loads of options included in many different guises, and few k over an S3, it is not like Audi have done anything different for an RS3 than other RS's in the past to my knowledge.

In my opinion, it is not a bad car for not a to bad a price in the basic form it has been offered.

And already people are talking remap......lol