Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

Audi A3 1.4 TFSI 125 by REVO - Disappointment inside

Hi everybody.
    I recently had my A3 1.4 TSI 125 bhp remapped with REVO a couple weeks ago here in Spain. The software installation was smooth and flawless, we did some readings with VAG-COM (Turbo Boost, MAF and so forth) and everything seemed to be OK (at least thats what the REVO dealer told me)
    In my way back home, I tried to feel the new enhancements, noticing it was more responsive and quicker from 3000 to 4500 rpm I also noticed that the car didnt lose power from 5500 to 6500 which it was pretty normal with the stock ECU software.
    In the other hand, the turbo lag was my only complaint at that moment, and was the first difference I felt driving the car.
    Of course those were just feelings, maybe I overestimate the remap, thinking it was going to be something different but at that moment I was happy with it, not thrilled but just happy.
    And then I had the RR session to check the figures and thats what I got:
    I would like the experts to tell me if this is a normal graphic with this remap.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Obviously it was the same Dyno, and the weather conditions were pretty similar. I also made some videos if you want to check out:

Obviously I didnt expect 160 horses like ABT, APR and other tuning stores claimed to offer, but at least those 1520bhp that REVO says they can pull out, but not just 5 which is a ridiculous gain, at least for me, i mean, numbers arent everything but damn, just 5bhp after having spent 500.

Obviously i am very disappointed and I dont think anybodys gonna complaint if say that I can not recommend having this engine remapped, at least with REVO.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    makes you wonder if audi have done their very best getting the most out of such a low displacement engine that tuning gains are always going to be minimal: a bit like tuning a vtec engine like the civic type r's?
    Audi A3 8L 1.8T Quattro 180 in black. Totally standard: for now...

Reverse Gear

Status
    In case it can help, i made some logs with VAG-COM, Turbo Boost, and MAF.

S3 (8P)

Status
    I would be amazed if a reputable outfit like REVO would simply market a product that didnt work.
    Sounds like an installation problem.

Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

6th Gear

Status
    ok on the one hand you could consider that you paid 100EUR for every 1bhp, but on the other hand you said you felt a tangible improvement in performance when you actually drove it and were "happy". if you were happy why does the RR figure matter? you could try and be positive and say you spent 500EUR on something which you felt improved the car.

me personally if i could get a refund or more power i probably would, but if i couldn't i wouldn't feel too hard done by. you enjoyed the drive home, and with no disrespect intended a 1.4 was never going to set the road on fire no matter what you had done to it.

let us know how you get on anyways. best of luck.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

Born to Fish

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    and with no disrespect intended a 1.4 was never going to set the road on fire no matter what you had done to it.
    l
    Doesn't this same 1.4T do 200 ps in the VW Polo/Golf ?????? with the addition of an intercooler and a tweek or two ?????
    2013 1.4 TFSI S line 8V, Brilliant Red, Cruise Control, DIS, MFSW, Dual Climate, Leather, Front Fogs, 18in 5 Twin Spoke Alloys, Welly, Boot and Fishing Rod Racks.

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFSI View Post
    Doesn't this same 1.4T do 200 ps in the VW Polo/Golf ?????? with the addition of an intercooler and a tweek or two ?????
    It's 180bhp in the new Skoda Fabia VRs and VW Polo GTi.........
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFSI View Post
    yeah and a supercharger !!
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    I would be amazed if a reputable outfit like REVO would simply market a product that didnt work.
    Sounds like an installation problem.
    Cheers
    Paul
    I would be amazed too. And i chose REVO because of his reputation. But what i'd like to know is whether that figures are OK or not.
    I'm pretty sure that REVO has huge amount of data of this engine, so i'd like them to tell if something is wrong.
    Thanks for the comments.

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    This does not surprise me at all. Looking at the graph Revo claim a rise of 15bhp and most of that from 5000rpm upwards. What is more relevant is the rise from 165 Lb/ft to 180LB/FT at about 3k rpm.
    The rise in bhp from 0-5000rpm is about what you would expect from changing from 95 to 98 ron petrol. Its doubtful you would really notice that.

What were your before and after torque figure ??

I suspect this engine is already squeezed to the limit to get 125bhp and 165 LB/FT out of it in the first place..
    Last edited by paddy; 8th January 2011 at 15:09.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

Status
    Do not think its beyond Revo to stretch the truth .....lol

I looked up their claim for the 3.2 as i have that fitted. They say 262 bhp which is rubbish because they also claim 12bhp increase from 250. Fact is the 3.2 engine only produced about 240bhp on a good day and that figure could vary 10% from car to car. 250bhp would be a reasonable remap figure. Most of that gain would be Revo's insistence that you run 99 Ron petrol. The map however does smooth the car out and helps the DSG changes but you will never notice a power gain on the road.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    What were your before and after torque figure ??
    You can see the torque figure in the very same graphic (it's called PAR in Spanish)
    The units are in Kg/m instead of LB/FT which would be 165 LB/FT after the remap and 145 before.
    Thanks for your answer.

A3 1.4 TFSI S-Line Ibis White - New RS4 18'' - S3 Front Grill, Mirror Caps & Shift Knob - H&R -3,5 Springs - REVO Stage 1 Remap

5th Gear

Status
    May be worth popping over to Vagoc.co.uk and posting in the Revo section as Revo Carl is often on and is normally extremely helpful in answering concerns or comments.

Revo Technik | VAGOC.co.uk
    "Dont get me wrong. Ugly girls need loving. Just not by me."

Status
    To be honest if you got a 20LB/FT increase in Torque i think you did well. I cant see much wrong with the map with an increase like that. Torque is far more usable /obvious than peek bhp in real life.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS4cab View Post
    May be worth popping over to Vagoc.co.uk and posting in the Revo section as Revo Carl is often on and is normally extremely helpful in answering concerns or comments.

Revo Technik | VAGOC.co.uk
    I already did .
    Hope Carl can help.
    Thanks

A3 1.4 TFSI S-Line Ibis White - New RS4 18'' - S3 Front Grill, Mirror Caps & Shift Knob - H&R -3,5 Springs - REVO Stage 1 Remap

Status
    I cant help wondering what you were expecting ?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    I cant help wondering what you were expecting ?
    Actually i was expecting that the power graph were more like the one they advert in their website, which is not the case.
    By the way, taking a look at the VAGCOM logs, is there any way i can have a boost leak? I mean i noticed that actual pressure never meets requested pressure.
    Thanks

Reverse Gear

Status
    For those interested in this case, i went to my local dealer (Obviously i didn't tell that the car was remapped) to check if something was wrong with the turbo (given the logs, some experts say that it's very plausible that i can have a boost leak) but they didn't find anything.
    I'll have to keep looking into this issue.
    Cheers
    Last edited by jmotero; 13th January 2011 at 19:00.