Automatic boot opening?

Already done, waiting for reply, just thought id ask here too.

Looks like its just a sprung loaded bump stop that when boot is released from remote it pushes the boot up further to make the struts take over as such, seems that way from the pdf, then when you close the boot it compresses these again for the next release.

Need to check the byte coding to see what this is, prob just remote boot release.

Good find mate and given all the crap that gathers on the handle in this weather - very useful and not too expensive.

Price Linky

Install Vid Linky

I would be interested in their response too.

Looks like its just a sprung loaded bump stop that when boot is released from remote it pushes the boot up further to make the struts take over as such, seems that way from the pdf, then when you close the boot it compresses these again for the next release.

Need to check the byte coding to see what this is, prob just remote boot release.

Ive already got the remote boot release this, so when i hold down the boot unlock function on the key fob the boot opens, just thought it would be helpful if it opened fully.

These are the part numbers.

2 x 6Y0 827 550 C (Skoda Fabia gas springs)
2 x 1K8 827 761 C (Scirocco bumpers)
2 x 1J6 827 439 A (Seat Leon ball pins)
Going to price up the parts with TPS

Just got a response from ecs:

Michael,

I'm sorry but the item you referenced is not applicated for your vehicle. We presently have no similar product available for your application. Thanks for your inquiry.

Benny C.

Going to look into it further.

it does look pretty simple... im guessing the gas struts are a bit more powerful as well, to help with lift?
would be useful as always carrying big uni stuff to the car!

Just got a response from ecs:

Michael,

I'm sorry but the item you referenced is not applicated for your vehicle. We presently have no similar product available for your application. Thanks for your inquiry.

Benny C.

Going to look into it further.

Typical - ****** Audi bodywork is heavier than the rest and they can't do it ???!!

Sounds like a challenge to me tbh.

Can you sort it ?

Hope he can! Dont see why the A3 boot lid would be much heavier but looking at the angles of the lid I reckon its got more chance of working on a sportback than a 3dr!

I have remote pop already turned on so would just be an easy swap for me.

Reminds of the mk1 Mondeo and also gen 7 Celica where if you fitted a boot spoiler the hatch wouldnt stay up and would come down and clunk on your head unless you fitted uprated struts to hold the weight!

It would depend really on the design of these bump stops as I'm sure it relies on a spring surely, without buying a set or someone who has some, I wouldnt know if its possible, but I see no reason why not.

I know a few people who fitted these to their MK5 / MK6 Golf's and subsequently removed them. Apparently they were distorting the bootlid slightly. Not sure if the same would happen with the A3 but thought you might want a heads up :)

I know a few people who fitted these to their MK5 / MK6 Golf's and subsequently removed them. Apparently they were distorting the bootlid slightly. Not sure if the same would happen with the A3 but thought you might want a heads up :)

Nice heads up mate, was looking like a group buy there lol

when you say distorted what was happening exactly? any photos?

Couple of pics here
**BEWARE** - Auto tailgate opening - VW GTI MKVI Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVI Forum / VW GTI Forum - Golfmk6.com

And some info here:
Auto tailgate

Main issues appear to be marking the paintwork and pushing the boot lid out and therefore putting pressure on the lock mechanism

Hope that helps

Cheers for the heads up mate, looks like it wont be possible without maybe risking messing up the hatch.

Unless NHN can come up with something.

I was going to ask this question along time ago, me and a friend wanted to do this, he knew the parts for his one series, guess it slipped my mind but yeah I could do with this too. Could be really handy for me.

I read the thread & his stock ones do the same, so its not neccessarily an issue, more like a boot or fixing position problem as if it does on stock then its not the item in question.

Also noticed its possibly a skoda oem solution anyway, yet to track it down in etka if it is, will check later.

The auto mechanical/electrical boot open/close are actuator based afaik.

I found some guides out there on how to retro fit the power boot open/close.
If any one wanted to retro fit this, the easist unit seems to be the BMW one, as its a hydrolic system using normal pistons.
The other system (I think it was a A6 system) uses motors that you mount on to the hinges. The motors seem big might not fit in the boot for the A3 guys.
The A4 guys might have a better luck.

Here is the link to the E38 Auto trunk retro fit.
Remote Trunk Opening/Closing Retrofit for your e38 (lotsa pictures)

I'll posting info on this if people are interested.

Think maybe same parts being used as skoda struts I believe.

I buy today scirocco stuff will see if it will fit to my a3 sportback. I also check this skoda actuator and it will not fit to a3 sportback, first one from combi is to long second is too short. I order 490N actuator, my currently have 410n. Let you know If I discover something :)

Whether the springs will cause any undue issues on the microswitch based lock is another thing as its basically added pressure, but hey good idea & simple mod aswell, effectively can be ported to most cars, just gotta make sure the springs done catch anything on opening/closing.

Any more news on this, was just looking at some gas struts and remembered this. Would like to know if anybodyy has managed to get something working.

Ive got a A3 S Line BE and would love to get this fitted on my boot!
My mates got an 56 Plate Merc and his opens with the Push of a button.

teases me with it as i paid 20k plus and i cant do that :(

I did something similar on my Seat Leon, but we just fitted higher power gas struts and enabled the boot pop in VCDS. Only downside was the boot was harder to shut.

just remember...somebody on this forum is going to say SH*T when the hatch hits the garage door or low parking garage ceiling. This happens over here on MK5's and other cars. I've done it with my Q7. I also have to laugh as my buddy sat on his keys at a party and came outside and his boot was opened and longboard gone. Good luck but it's just one more thing to worry about

So what's the verdict on this guy? Yay or nay?

I've been speaking to a guy on Facebook that's done it on the Golf MK5 and he's saying it can be done on the A3 8P.

This seems like a good feature as long as it doesn't cause rubbing issues