Volks AutosMonster Motorsport

Thread: Pot hole

5th Gear

Status

Pot hole

hit a pot hole last night. the car is now pulling to the right when i brake plus sounds a bit rough when driving. any idea's ? its in the garage tomorrow (AGAIN!!! ) so do want to get ripped off. thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    nightmare mate, is it tracking ok when rolling? As in it just pulls under braking?
    Moved to the Darkside click below:

5th Gear

Status
    the tracking/alignment are out, as the car pulls right when braking plus steering wheel is off centre but unsure why sounds rough when driving. any idea?

events moderator

Status
    could be a slightly bent suspension arm could be a buckled wheel mate could be anything tho so i would see what the garage says
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    bent arm rod end etc

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    bent arm rod end etc
    100% agree, wheel and tyre is prob ok, rods and arms bend easy!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

events moderator

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    100% agree, wheel and tyre is prob ok, rods and arms bend easy!
    this is true ,a mate of mine has a golf gt and he slid on ice and bent one doing 5mph

she's no d-turbo

Status
    Usually the track rod end takes most of the abuse. Could be a number of things though

6th Gear

Status
    if any think bust or wheel buckled take pics of damage and measure pot hole and take pics of it and put a claim in to hignways ..i had to do this and they paid put..
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs / Oil catch can

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm

FLYWHEEL + HELIX CLUTCH KIT FOR SALE

5th Gear

Status
    wheel looks fine but will get it balanced to see if it buckled. the sound is slightly worrying though. let hope it not as bad when it goes in tomorrow

events moderator

Status
    mind you it might make a noise if the tracking is out as the one tyre is going the right way and the wrong tyre is going another way i think mine made a noise when it was out

5th Gear

Status
    fingers crossed!! nothing too major. think the car is great, 2nd A3 8P3 i've had but this one picks up everything thanks for all the replies. will keep you posted

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bloblob2 View Post
    hit a pot hole last night. the car is now pulling to the right when i brake plus sounds a bit rough when driving. any idea's ? its in the garage tomorrow (AGAIN!!! ) so do want to get ripped off. thanks in advance.
    Just put my new wheels on today and hit a pot holemine is also pulling slightly under braking and the steering wheel is slightly out of line.sounds fine though.Im gonna get the tracking done asap and hopefully that will cure it.

It drove fine for a grand total of 6hrs.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sturs4 View Post
    Just put my new wheels on today and hit a pot holemine is also pulling slightly under braking and the steering wheel is slightly out of line.sounds fine though.Im gonna get the tracking done asap and hopefully that will cure it.

It drove fine for a grand total of 6hrs.
    thats bad luck mate, i hope there was no damage done and some tracking will sort it! loads of them about, be careful boys

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tdi-man View Post
    if any think bust or wheel buckled take pics of damage and measure pot hole and take pics of it and put a claim in to hignways ..i had to do this and they paid put..
    I did the same years ago. I took photo's of the pot hole including a ruler to show size and depth. I claimed on my insurance and provided the details , they took action against the council and I got my excess back and no affect to the no claims ( It was a Motorcycle and it destroyed my alloy wheel)..
    Arrived 15 Dec 2010 A3 sportback TDI 170 Quattro sport in Ibis white.

5th Gear

Status
    update... the pot hole cost me 2 new tyre, as the inner wall on the o/s tyres had a slight bulge plus the tracking. the steering wheel is slightly out still after tracking (i mean slightly) is this an easy cure?
    not sure where the noise has gone, must be paranoid as i picked up a few knocks lately

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by musicegbdf View Post
    I did the same years ago. I took photo's of the pot hole including a ruler to show size and depth. I claimed on my insurance and provided the details , they took action against the council and I got my excess back and no affect to the no claims ( It was a Motorcycle and it destroyed my alloy wheel)..
    that was a good result mate

6th Gear

Status
    when doing the tracking they should have centred the wheel & adjusted both sides making sure the wheel stayed straight. Was it Audi?
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Also, when they did your tracking did they do it to the measurements of the correct model (s-line in your case)??
    I had mine done some time back and they used the 'standard suspension' settings and it caused my steering wheel to be off centre.
    It should say at the top/bottom of the printout they gave you which shows the after alignment resluts (assuming it was laser alignment you had done).

5th Gear

Status
    no not at Audi, as they over price on the tyres. when i mean slightly its a 0.5 to 1 degree out. it's just annoying. should i get it laser aligned or refit the steering wheel?

6th Gear

Status
    get it laser aligned, best way to be 100% its set right as if its out you will wear your rubber out quicker then you should, and the wheel will just bug you till its right
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

To Do list: Now that would be telling

PM me for Weitec & KW coilovers

5th Gear

Status
    how much on average?

6th Gear

Status
    what with rubber wear?... well it all depends on how out the tracking could be, but you could easily end up eating an inside edge, from what i heard on alfa forums (a few brera's came out with the wrong tracking ) and they went through their fronts in under 8k miles

if you mean how much for tracking, not sure, my tuner charges 70
    Factory: Phantom Black S3, BOSE, RNS-E, Adaptive Lights, Interior Lights, Auto Lights

Added: Evolve Stage 2 Map, Evoms CAI, Milltek TBE Non-res With Special Tips Now At 360bhp & 385lb/ft, VWR 4 pots, H&R Springs, H&R Spacers, Sachs Clutch, '09 Rear Clusters, Pressed Metal Plates, TT Air Vents

To Do list: Now that would be telling

PM me for Weitec & KW coilovers

5th Gear

Status
    yea four wheel alignment probably about 50-60

Ads
    License to drive

Status