Chris NottBadger5
    dan77

Status

AVS inbetweeny oil change

who out there does these themselves? just bought a 2006 2.0tdi 140 and the last oil change was done nearly a year and just over 10k ago, spoke to my local stealer today who said it was not due for nearly another year on AVS, to me 20k seems along time without an oil change, do you guys thinks its worth me doin one now? just to be safe, if so whats the best oil to go for i heard be say Mobil 1 is pretty good?
    A3 1.8T sport, revo stage 1, Forge 007, Green cotton panel filter, TTpedals. . . . . SOLD
    Golf GTTDI 130 . . . . . SOLD

Current 2006 A3 2.0TDI Quattro S-Line, Revo stage one, chrome pedals, black grill, full interior and number plate LEDs retro fitted cruise control,

2. # ADS
    ADS

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Goto the dealer, or your local VW/Seat/Skoda place, and buy some Quantum Longlife 3.

Its not that dear, but meets all their requirements for your engine.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

2nd Gear

Status
    I do an interim change.

I pay 199 for an Audi AVS service every 20 months or so and get the book stamped as full ASH and then change the oil & filter myself halfway at max 12 months or 10000 miles...

Any oil make that's marked as VW507.00 spec meets the Audi long life oil spec. I get it from my local motor factors (Partco) at about 18 for 5 litres - and they always ask if I really need that oil because its so much more expensive than their standard 5W30 fully synthetic oil that's not VW stamped....
    2012 White A5 Coupe TFSi Black Edition
    (Was 2004 A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG, owned from 2005 to 2012....)

dan77

Status
    cheers guys, that gives an excuse not to see the outlaws on sunday!
    A3 1.8T sport, revo stage 1, Forge 007, Green cotton panel filter, TTpedals. . . . . SOLD

Current 2006 A3 2.0TDI Quattro S-Line, Revo stage one, chrome pedals, black grill, full interior and number plate LEDs retro fitted cruise control,

Brum brum

Status
    I'd take it off AVS and do oil changes every 6000 miles or 6 months with a high quality fully synthetic oil of appropriate grade - which doesn't have to meet the AVS specification and should cost around half that of an AVS oil.

AVS is just a process to make cars cheaper to lease by removing 1 or possibly 2 'services' from the 3 year / 60000 mile typical business lease. That's all well and good if your the business owner as your saving a few pounds on your lease, but it's the second or third owner of the car who is going to inherit the problems later in the day as the mileage increases.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

2nd Gear

Status
    Or it means you can maintain a full official Audi service history at a reasonable cost, as a private owner, and do the interim "oil change & inspection" service yourself, without having to pay a main dealer for the priviledge....
    2012 White A5 Coupe TFSi Black Edition
    (Was 2004 A3 2.0 TDi S-Line DSG, owned from 2005 to 2012....)

I'm now on my 7th Audi A3 and all have been serviced based on AVS. I now do around 12K miles a year and my AVS service comes up at around 18k miles. I normally keep my cars for around 3 years. The highest mileage I had on any of my A3s was on a 2000 1.8T Sport with 46k. All of them have been very reliable and I have never had any form of engine related problem.

As my car is a diesel with a DPF the only oil that should be used is to VW spec 507 00 and this is only changed as recommended by Audi on the AVS system at around 18k miles which means most of my cars only need servicing once during my ownership. I generally trade the car in before the second service is required. All my A3s have come from the same dealer and they are always happy to give me a good trade-in value for the car (as well as at least a 10% discount on the new one) as all the servicing work has been done by them and they know the car. My cars are always kept in a clean and tidy condition inside and out.

My point is that changing the oil every 6 months and using cheaper oil would not save me any money and what's more modern oils are designed to stay in the car much longer than 6 months. The current VW specifications for oil are the same for my car if I use AVS or fixed interval servicing. If your car is covered by an Audi warranty you have to use the specification of oil given by Audi or your warranty will not be valid whoever changes it.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

dan77

Status
    Ok, so I've decided to do this got oil and a filter from TPS for 30 so I can't winge about cost, just wondering how much oil I need, the castrol website says 2.3 litres but that seems like very little to me