Clutch question 2.0 TDI Sport

TimG

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just sold my 8l S3 and bought an Akoya 8P '04' A3 2.0 TDi Sport. Its only done 42000 miles, but took it for a test drive and the clutch was slipping badly. I thought it felt really high going off the forecourt, but booted it and it was slipping as soon as the turbo came in. This seems like very low miles to need a new clutch, but I guess its the way its been driven?

As it was from a trade place, and I had agreed a price before the test drive they have agreed to order a kit and replace the clutch before I collect it (Guess they gotta do this if they want to sell it anyway) but they did query whether the clutches were adjustable on these?

Obviously I would like a new clutch as I realise these do go, but is there any adjustment on the clutches that might be able to mask the problem for the 2 month warranty period they are supplying with the car? Or once its slipping is it defo new clutch time? Excuse my lack of mechanical knolwedge here, its not something I know about at all!

Where are you buying it from?
Is it really 42,000 miles?

id walk away are they gonna replace the dmf aswell seems low mileage for clutch to go so soon mine went at 70000
900 quid later all is fine but i was still gutted after only 14months use

FWIW my 1.8TQS A4 had its clutch changed at only 50k, and it was only a few years old at the time too. The replacement has lasted fine and the cars now on 110k

that does seam kind of low for the clutch to go but if its been driven around town then that could explain it make sure they change the dmf too as this is very costly it cost me nearly £800 to fix with the clutch and fitting if they wont do the dmf then walk away

theres a legal requirement of 3 months warranty for a car over £1500 in the trade. i know this unfortunately as im a car trader

Thats interesting, didnt know it was law, whats this actually entail?

no theres no adjustment on the cluctch and theres a legal requirement of 3 months warranty for a car over £1500 in the trade. i know this unfortunately as im a car trader
are you sure its 3 months i work in the trade also and we give one months warranty

I really hope you dont know this from experience lmfao

Can someone please explain why they MUST replace the DMF also? I assume you guys are saying it as precautionary? (ie like doing the water pump when the cambelt gets done etc)

TBH if it doesnt need a flywheel I cant see them agreeing to replace it just to meet my demands. Just wondering if there is any way to tell if the DMF is knackered by the way the car drives, vibration maybe?

Last edited:
Although I appreciate all the comments, I cant really understand the view of saying walk away. Is is not better to buy a car that has just had the clutch replaced than one that needs it doing just after I've bought it!?

Diesel cars are known to kill stock clutches quicker then petrol as diesel engines produce much more torque which is what kills clutches. The clutch is the weak point on all VAG diesel cars. If the clutch was slipping badly insist that the DMF gets replaced as a slipping clutch will soon leave blue burn marks on the face of the flywheel damaging the flywheel.

this is my opinion but if a car has had the clutch go in 42000 miles how was it being driven has it been abused
i would just worry that there would be other issues and for peice of mind i would insist on a years warranty at least

Called up today and checked on the situation. Apparantly they are replacing the clutch, DMF and the cylinder too so all is good. Is still something to think about though why its gone so early!? Guess it could be any number of factors.

If devonmikeyboy is not surprised I would take it that its not unusual as he is the A3 diesel king here.

glad to hear there they are replacing it all good luck with the car

still enjoying mine and you got it in the best colour as well

Called up today and checked on the situation. Apparantly they are replacing the clutch, DMF and the cylinder too so all is good. Is still something to think about though why its gone so early!? Guess it could be any number of factors.
thats great news buddy at least they are sorting it out now glad to hear it

Cheers guys. I very nearly bought a black one (had more options actually!) but Im kinda glad I'm getting an Akoya now as its an awesome colour, gonna be a nice change too as the S3 I've just sold was black :)

So I returned today to test the car again after they had done the clutch, only to find more problems. Firstly we went to get fuel and the car woudnt restart, turns out a cable had come off the starter motor (apparantly easy to knock off/ breal when changing clutches).

So that sorted, attempted another drive and the car wouldnt accelerate, no turbo spool at all and barely any acceleration at all. On an incline the car would actually slow down even with foot to the floor (changing gear didnt help either!). Almost felt like limp mode but worse, and no lights up on the dash indicating a problem either.

At this point we returned to the dealership with the sales guy embarrassed after a disastorus second attempt to let me drive the car! Sales guy said they would have to look into it again in the week and appologised etc.

Does anyone wish to suggest what the issue might be with this? It just felt like the Turbo was knackered? Strange thing is last week when I drove it the turbo was fine, but the clutch was slipping... no the clutch is sorted and something else is broke!

Guess I should just be asking for my deposit back and looking elsewhere. Either way, its not given me much confidence in the 2.0TDI platform to be honest.

Check the boost pipes from turbo through IC & upto the intake housing as maybe one of these isnt fixed in properly.

Also take the car for as long a drive as you can so you can warm things up good then when stationery with the engine on listen to any cluncking noise form the gearbox, if there is some then best to leave it as the bearings in the gearbox will need replacing.