Cold starting struggle

basssound

Reaction score
Right my A3 TDI170 struggles to start up from cold conditions.
It only has this fault when it's been stood over night and the engine is stone cold.
Once it's fired up and run for a minute it fires up at the first turn of the key!

Also when it's eventually fired up it's very lumpy and sometimes, very occasionally it stops running after a second or two.

Anyone had the same problem or know of a possible common fault?

Cheers

I had the same problem on a previous car when moisure was getting into the leads. I did not keep the car long after that, but on that one I sprayed something called ''damp start'' onto the leads and that seemed to sort it out.

How big a struggle is a struggle.

We have been experiencing some extreme low temperatures recently and if it starts after a couple of turns I doubt there is a serious problem. Our just ex 2008 Quattro 170 was occasionally a little reluctant but never a huge problem.

I had the same problem on a previous car when moisure was getting into the leads. I did not keep the car long after that, but on that one I sprayed something called ''damp start'' onto the leads and that seemed to sort it out.

It's a diesel so there isn't any leads lol

PilotAudi - a really big struggle, it'll just turn over and over until it eventually fires up, even then sometimes it'll just peter out :(
I'm wondering if it could be the fuel running back or an injector leaking too much fuel when turning over?

Could be a weak battery? I know with the extreme temperatures we've been experiencing batteries are put under real pressure to perform and anything below minus 0 degrees and you'll only get have the power from a good battery. Plus if the cars left a day or two then the viscosity of the oil will become very thick adding to the pressure of the battery to perform. But like all advice from anyone on here I'd test it before going out and buying a new battery. Just pop along to your local repair garage and get them to test it under load. probably cost you a fiver but if I'm wrong it'll be cheaper than a new battery!

I'm a mechanic by trade, I've checked the battery with a very good
Midtronics tester, very good battery.
I posted up on here in the hope it may be a common fault, I'm guessing not so I'll have to check the injectors ect...