Volks AutosAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Filler cap help

  1. #1
    K4RL's Avatar
    Silver MY10 S3

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Omicron Persei 8
    Posts
    52

    Filler cap help

    Hi all

    Filled up for the second time today, whilst doing this I had to let the cap hang down against the body. Am I missing something? Does the cap clip on / hang off the filler flap somehow?

    Karl - 2010 model S3

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    408
    Clips onto the filler cap cover m8, theres a small notch
    In the side of the black cap hth

    Cal

  4. #3
    scottie123's Avatar
    (●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    (.) (.)
    Posts
    1,888
    Sorry but that way is gash as it is still resting on the paintwork.
    Use the black plastic hinge of the hatch and hang it there.
    There was a thread on this a while back iirc
    05 SB SE BKD

    Build Thread

  5. #4
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie123 View Post
    Sorry but that way is gash as it is still resting on the paintwork.
    Use the black plastic hinge of the hatch and hang it there.
    There was a thread on this a while back iirc
    i think the filler cap is different on the SB because that doesn't work on my 3dr? the notch isn't big enough
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  6. #5
    consilio's Avatar
    Up the owls!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    659
    Works as shown on my 3dr

    ...... Edit, you mean to hang on the hinge don't you! It's late..
    March 2011 - B8 Audi S4, Ibis White, S-Tronic, Leather / Alcantera Super Sports Seats, Heated Front Seats, Advanced Key, Tech Pack High, Electrically folding and auto dimming mirrors

    SOLD - 8P Audi S3. Brilliant Black, FBMF wheel, Bose, RNS-E, Auto lights/wipers, Cruise control, Tyre pressure monitor, Parking sensors, Interior light pack, GSM phone prep, Armrest, Privacy glass, Electrically folding mirrors.

  7. #6
    antmax7's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    sheffield
    Posts
    300
    on the filler cap there are several notches of different sizes i can assure you it fits on the hinge as said on both the SB and 3DR. you need to use the bigger gap between the notches so for example from the picture above you need to turn it 90 degrees
    oh and a plastic filler cap will scratch the s**t out of the paint on the filler flap
    Last edited by antmax7; 3rd January 2011 at 09:02.

  8. #7
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by antmax7 View Post
    on the filler cap there are several notches of different sizes i can assure you it fits on the hinge as said on both the SB and 3DR. you need to use the bigger gap between the notches so for example from the picture above you need to turn it 90 degrees
    oh and a plastic filler cap will scratch the s**t out of the paint on the filler flap
    will give that a go... just washed and waxed my car and it's scratched up pretty bad

    funny, it didn't at all scratch my Ebony Black 2005 car
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  9. #8
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    will give that a go... just washed and waxed my car and it's scratched up pretty bad

    funny, it didn't at all scratch my Ebony Black 2005 car
    You have hit on a often missed point here..............The paint quality of the earlier Audi's was way way superior to the modern cars. I went cash in hand to look at a black TTS a while back and although brand new and parked next to a brand new black S3 i had to ask the sales guy if they had been in a crash the paint was so bad. They looked like they had been blown in rather badly.
    The answer is apparently the new water based paints tend to orange peel. When i had my car sprayed after its knock recently i sent it back twice because of poor paint finish but they could not do anything with it. The Roof is original and is a glass like finish with a near perfect reflection where as the sides that have been resprayed are very shiny but the reflection is bad and at a angle looks awful much like the showroom stuff these days. It was only when i parked next to a black 60 reg BMW 335i coupe in the car park that i realized its not just Audi. If that had been my new car i would have rejected it instantly. Its a great shame because the excellent paint finish was one of the selling points of Audi to me.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  10. #9
    BigBird's Avatar
    Lost in music...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Lancs
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by antmax7 View Post
    oh and a plastic filler cap will scratch the s**t out of the paint on the filler flap
    I've always used the notches on the black filler cap to secure it resting on the (unpainted) inside of the filler flap.
    No paint to damage on the inside & no visible damage as yet to the paint on the top lip of the filler flap after 19 months of doing it carefully.

    Thought this was simples last time this thread came up!
    123d MSport coupe from the company

    2007 S3 in sprint blue - gone!

  11. #10
    antmax7's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    sheffield
    Posts
    300
    get a lamp at night and shine it on the area it will be shocking.

  12. #11
    Smoothie's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lurgan N.I
    Posts
    1,431
    My last BMW had a far better design for holding the cap, looking for a pic here
    Moved to the Darkside click below:

  13. #12
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by antmax7 View Post
    on the filler cap there are several notches of different sizes i can assure you it fits on the hinge as said on both the SB and 3DR. you need to use the bigger gap between the notches so for example from the picture above you need to turn it 90 degrees
    oh and a plastic filler cap will scratch the s**t out of the paint on the filler flap
    tried. didn't work.

    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    You have hit on a often missed point here..............The paint quality of the earlier Audi's was way way superior to the modern cars. I went cash in hand to look at a black TTS a while back and although brand new and parked next to a brand new black S3 i had to ask the sales guy if they had been in a crash the paint was so bad. They looked like they had been blown in rather badly.
    The answer is apparently the new water based paints tend to orange peel. When i had my car sprayed after its knock recently i sent it back twice because of poor paint finish but they could not do anything with it. The Roof is original and is a glass like finish with a near perfect reflection where as the sides that have been resprayed are very shiny but the reflection is bad and at a angle looks awful much like the showroom stuff these days. It was only when i parked next to a black 60 reg BMW 335i coupe in the car park that i realized its not just Audi. If that had been my new car i would have rejected it instantly. Its a great shame because the excellent paint finish was one of the selling points of Audi to me.
    i doubt it's that simple. by the time i was looking to get rid of the Ebony Black car the bonnet had faded and couldn't be polished. it looked like it had been driving around on gritted roads no matter what i tried to do. the sides and backs looked pretty good tho, as did the roof.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  14. #13
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,221
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    I've always used the notches on the black filler cap to secure it resting on the (unpainted) inside of the filler flap.
    No paint to damage on the inside & no visible damage as yet to the paint on the top lip of the filler flap after 19 months of doing it carefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by antmax7 View Post
    get a lamp at night and shine it on the area it will be shocking.
    Sounds annoying. The next time I get the urge to shine a lamp on my petrol cap whilst getting into my car at night I'll keep my eyes closed.

  15. #14
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by aythreee View Post
    Sounds annoying. The next time I get the urge to shine a lamp on my petrol cap whilst getting into my car at night I'll keep my eyes closed.
    Yes...i was thinking the same but didn't like to say anything.

    I just went out and had a look at mine using a candle but it looked ok...I will check again in an hour or two, hopefully the moon will come out..Hope i don't need a respray !!
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO