Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: DV chatter

  1. #1
    BigBird's Avatar
    Lost in music...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Lancs
    Posts
    379

    DV chatter

    Just had a TBE, modified K&N Typhoon CAI & Evoms diverter valve fitted to my 2007 S3. All works well, but the frequent chatter noise when coming off boost from the Evoms DV is annoying me, so my question is - would a DV from either Forge or the OEM version D chatter as much through the CAI as my current Evoms one?
    I was told by the installers that the OEM ones would make a worse chatter than their uprated Evoms DV, as OEM ones are electronic, rather than the uprated hydraulic ones. Tried forum searches, but nothing came up on this topic...

    I'll happily swap it out & replace it with a Forge or version D OEM one if they're quieter - any advice? Does the Forge one chatter a lot?
    Feel a bit fussy, but it just sounds all wrong / crap at the moment...
    123d MSport coupe from the company

    2007 S3 in sprint blue - gone!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    akash_sky1's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Glasgow (Sheffield occas.)
    Posts
    1,209
    The chatter I heard thru Muneeb's evoms with OEM D DV sounded ok to me, just like a rally car but not chavvy at all!

    Any open CAI is going to allow you to hear chatter, the standard airbox muffles this noise.

    A sealed intake without an open cone would get rid of this all together, the the standard OEM one is recirculating so not sure if a Forge one would make it quieter.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012


  4. #3
    heeman10's Avatar
    Audi driver since Dec 08

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    388
    Post up a vid maybe? I would have recommended leaving the OEM inlet tract etc in place if you don't like noises from your intake TBH. Fitting an exhaust, CAI and diverter valve probably isn't the best way to achieve a muted driving experience.
    .: 2005 Dolphin Grey A3 2.0 TDI Sport :.

  5. #4
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,392
    The OEM and aftermarket DVs make a very quiet hissing sound.

    As the sound you're describing is on closing the the throttle,and is a chattering sound,what you're likely to be hearing is compressor stall,and the chattering noise that makes.

    It IS much more apparent with aftermarket intake systems,and I very much doubt that changing your DV will alter it,although an uprated DV is very much worthwhile if you've remapped the car.

  6. #5
    BigBird's Avatar
    Lost in music...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Lancs
    Posts
    379
    Thanks for that advice gents - I've got more used to it now & bloody love the extra torque it gives. I can of course modulate to get around the DV chatter, but the CAI hoovering noise is still an odd one.

    I'll try a cover for the CAI, then revert to the OEM intake if I can't live with it.

    Must be getting old...

    Alex - is the compressor stall you mention just the turbo spooling back down or is it where the recirculated DV air is being fired back, hitting the turbo vanes & possibly damaging them in the longer term? Bit ignorant here...
    Last edited by BigBird; 4th January 2011 at 12:39. Reason: Extra Qs
    123d MSport coupe from the company

    2007 S3 in sprint blue - gone!

  7. #6
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,392
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Thanks for that advice gents - I've got more used to it now & bloody love the extra torque it gives. I can of course modulate to get around the DV chatter, but the CAI hoovering noise is still an odd one.

    I'll try a cover for the CAI, then revert to the OEM intake if I can't live with it.

    Must be getting old...

    Alex - is the compressor stall you mention just the turbo spooling back down or is it where the recirculated DV air is being fired back, hitting the turbo vanes & possibly damaging them in the longer term? Bit ignorant here...
    A couple of things...the OEM airbox is obviously going to be quieter,but it will run out of airflow between 330-360bhp,and you may well get top end misfires as a result..I certainly did,and it took a bit to track this down as the cause.

    The high pitched chattering sound is the result of airflow back through the stalled or nearly stalled compressor section of the turbo.

    I've noticed since having a bigger turbo fitted that the chattering is much quieter,no doubt as a result of the much bigger compressor not being run anywhere near it's maximum,whereas the smaller K04 is working very hard to produce enough flow.

    One other thing....the ITG intake is quieter than the Forge...strange but true.

  8. #7
    jsws3's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    443
    my dbilias flow master cai is very quiet if you are looking to change cai

    REVO stage 2+ , dbilias cai , apr pump, milltek tbe special h&r springs , h&r arb's

  9. #8
    BigBird's Avatar
    Lost in music...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Lancs
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by jsws3 View Post
    my dbilias flow master cai is very quiet if you are looking to change cai
    Didn't you recently have a thread where you were getting rid of it coz of the noise? The dbilias are effectively sealed up in a box aren't they? That's what I'm going to do with my CAI first, to see if that quietens it off. It sounds like a sand filled hoover at the moment!

    After being tempted & buying your mate Waring192s TBE, it seemed the right thing to go stage 2. Love the torque, but having the odd noises on an urban commute daily driver is peeving me!
    123d MSport coupe from the company

    2007 S3 in sprint blue - gone!

  10. #9
    jsws3's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
    Didn't you recently have a thread where you were getting rid of it coz of the noise? The dbilias are effectively sealed up in a box aren't they? That's what I'm going to do with my CAI first, to see if that quietens it off. It sounds like a sand filled hoover at the moment!

    After being tempted & buying your mate Waring192s TBE, it seemed the right thing to go stage 2. Love the torque, but having the odd noises on an urban commute daily driver is peeving me!

    yes its a inclosed filter and it don't make the chatter .

    the thread was about my old evoms cai that i sold to jungleman its was on the car for 2 weeks and the mrs hated the noise it made .

    REVO stage 2+ , dbilias cai , apr pump, milltek tbe special h&r springs , h&r arb's

  11. #10
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,392
    Quote Originally Posted by jsws3 View Post
    yes its a inclosed filter and it don't make the chatter .

    the thread was about my old evoms cai that i sold to jungleman its was on the car for 2 weeks and the mrs hated the noise it made .

    .....should try the noise mine makes now....!

    The intake and turbo are definitely quieter since the turbo kit was fitted,but there is one little thing left....the exhaust now does what my old Escort did,and it will bang and shoot the odd flame if you change gear etc under full throttle,and oh God does she hate that!

  12. #11
    BigBird's Avatar
    Lost in music...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Lancs
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by jsws3 View Post
    yes its a inclosed filter and it don't make the chatter .

    the thread was about my old evoms cai that i sold to jungleman its was on the car for 2 weeks and the mrs hated the noise it made .
    Cool - cheers for that. I'll bear that intake in mind if the enclosed box I'm trying on Saturday doesn't quieten my current CAI enough.

    I've told the missus the noises the car's now making are to do with the exhaust that I had to fit as mine was failing. It could do with being quieter for her as well as me!
    123d MSport coupe from the company

    2007 S3 in sprint blue - gone!

  13. #12
    jsws3's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    443
    [QUOTE=S3Alex;1138892].....should try the noise mine makes now....!

    The intake and turbo are definitely quieter since the turbo kit was fitted,but there is one little thing left....the exhaust now does what my old Escort did,and it will bang and shoot the odd flame if you change gear etc under full throttle,and oh God does she hate that![/QUO

    Will you stop alex your makeing me tingle with excitement just hope all gose well and buy march / april mine should be in for the works .

    REVO stage 2+ , dbilias cai , apr pump, milltek tbe special h&r springs , h&r arb's

  14. #13
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,392
    Quote Originally Posted by jsws3 View Post

    Will you stop alex your makeing me tingle with excitement just hope all gose well and buy march / april mine should be in for the works .
    Come on..you know you want to....remind me please....what were you thinking of doing?

  15. #14
    jsws3's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Come on..you know you want to....remind me please....what were you thinking of doing?
    march / april if all gose well i might have to hae your number off you to have a quick chat about a thew things if thats ok mate

    REVO stage 2+ , dbilias cai , apr pump, milltek tbe special h&r springs , h&r arb's

  16. #15
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,392
    Quote Originally Posted by jsws3 View Post
    march / april if all gose well i might have to hae your number off you to have a quick chat about a thew things if thats ok mate
    Drop me a line and let me know.

    If I can be of help or put you in touch with the right people,I'd be glad to.

  17. #16
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    59
    Can the turbo on the S3 cope with regular compressor stall? I have had it before with one of my previous cars (and quite liked it) without issue but I have heard it's not the best thing for the turbo. Is the cause of it the change of DV, the result then being made more noticeable with the fitment of the CAIK? Sorry still learning about these.

  18. #17
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    181
    I know exactly what noise you are talking about and it annoys me sooo much, I think Iam going to go for the OEM revision D diverter valve in place of my forge one and then possibly change my intake from neuspeed back to ITG. (Iam on my 3rd intake....I like to change my mind!)

    When I had the ITG on I must say it was quite a bit quieter than the one I have now.

    I've not been on here for a while and I was considering selling up but a tuned S3 roared past me last night when I was in my girlfriends freelander and thats put me back in the mood, think I'm going to go the whole way with this car now!
    gone: 2008 S3 sprint blue, buckets, optics, go-faster mods.

  19. #18
    BigBird's Avatar
    Lost in music...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Lancs
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by craig32 View Post
    I know exactly what noise you are talking about and it annoys me sooo much, I think Iam going to go for the OEM revision D diverter valve in place of my forge one and then possibly change my intake from neuspeed back to ITG. (Iam on my 3rd intake....I like to change my mind!)

    When I had the ITG on I must say it was quite a bit quieter than the one I have now.
    Glad to see I'm not the only fussy one! Mine is now fully cured - it sounds OEM, but has the kick of stage 2. Lovely!

    All they did with my K&N Typhoon CAI that they'd modified to fit the S3 was to put a K&N sealed filter box over the cone filter & it's killed all the noises so far - both the CAI hoover & the DV chatter.
    It's one of the filter boxes with a 4" hole in the base, but the rest is sealed. Seems to be breathing fine & no discernable loss of power, not that I'd mind if a little bit was lost.

    As for the compressor stall, I was told by my tuners that the flutter noise does not harm the turbo vanes at all. They said that the OEM rev D DV would be worse for flutter than an uprated Forge / Evoms one, as the OEM DV is electronic, whereas the uprated ones are pneumatic, so work better. Dunno how true that is coz I'm not at all mechanically minded...

    Once again - thanks to Alex, Akash & jsws3 for your help & comments guys...
    Last edited by BigBird; 10th January 2011 at 13:20.
    123d MSport coupe from the company

    2007 S3 in sprint blue - gone!

  20. #19
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    181
    I wonder if I will be able to get a sealed box for my filter off the shelf...I take it if my neuspeed cai was roughly the same size as your typhoon I could get away with the same set-up! What do you think?

    All I need to do now is stick on a resonated centre section on the exhaust and get on with my plans to go down the hybrid turbo route!
    If I can manage a genuine 375-380 bhp I will be happy, as far as I'm aware the standard internals can cope with 400bhp max so I shouldn't be pushing things too much and I have no plans to go for a big turbo set-up so this seems like an option worth exploring!
    gone: 2008 S3 sprint blue, buckets, optics, go-faster mods.

  21. #20
    BigBird's Avatar
    Lost in music...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    West Lancs
    Posts
    379
    Quote Originally Posted by craig32 View Post
    I wonder if I will be able to get a sealed box for my filter off the shelf...I take it if my neuspeed cai was roughly the same size as your typhoon I could get away with the same set-up! What do you think?
    Reckon you should be able to do that fella - K&N do a whole range of the sealed boxes for their different size / shaped filters, so one of them should surely fit around your Neuspeed CAI filter. Just get down your local K&N friendly tuners & ask which one will fit.
    I'm not sure exactly which variant of the K&N box mine is, but it was certainly a standard one. It needed a tiny modification of the box to secure it, but it only took them a few minutes to adapt the standard box & it's securely fixed up now. PM me if you need more details of the install...

    The car is still really quiet, even under hard acceleration, so I guess it'd suit your requirements perfectly. It makes what is a daily driver right about perfect for me...
    123d MSport coupe from the company

    2007 S3 in sprint blue - gone!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO