Update on problem and another problem!!!

evilbane

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys, following on from previous thread, I have changed the Throttle body (£182 including VAT from GSF Leeds, if anyone needs one)

And the engine management light has gone out, I now need to remove the crap they used to cover the engine management light up in the first place.

I have taken the speedo unit out of the dash, and have taken the front clear plastic cover off, seems they used some kind of rubber silicone stuff, shoved into the bulb tunnel so the bulb light cant shine through.

I cant figure out how to take the speedo back off to unclog the silicone from the tunnel, there seems to be a white block that the speedo pin goes into stopping it or does the speedo dial pin remove from the front???

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

You would think if they went to that trouble they would just take the bulb out...

you need NHN ! he is the king of the instrument clusters.

Cheers mate, ye it would have been quicker to just fix the original fault, I've tried but cant get the cluster apart to unclog the black silicone.
I'll drop NHN a pm to have a look here.

Its an led so they couldnt chaps, but *** who does this to hide a fault.

Anyway to remove the front fascia of the speedo you need to pull the speedo arm of the pin thus allowing the fascia to come of completely, take care when reattaching, it lines up at zero when ignition is on, dont do with ignition of as needles move slightly when ignition turned on, so could end up with the wrong speed if not set correctly.

Be very very careful when pulling speedo arm of, it seems like its stuck, but I actually got some cloth & stuck it on the speedo fascia so as not to crease, dent or damage & then levered a screwdriver under the inner ring of the arm to get it to lift of, iirc.

Last edited:
This is the most retarded botch I have ever heard ! Why would a mechanic go to such lengths to simply hide a warning light and not more time fixing the actual problem. :-O

Worked a treat NHN, awesome info mate, I spent hours trying to figure it out.

Yes I know what you mean Akasha, the actual fix took about 20 minutes (Fitting new throttle body), the ****** silicone will have taken a lot longer than that to do.

Main thing is it's now fixed and sorted, and I have a nice Audi A3 to drive about in :)

Good for you mate and well done Nige for coming up trumps again.

Why would a mechanic go to such lengths to simply hide a warning light and not more time fixing the actual problem. :-O

Cause they're a snyde cxnt thats why, trying to get out of fixing a fault cause it will cost them money when in reality the fix was fairly simple & time wasted on hiding the issue probably cost more than the solution & we moan about the dealers.

Glad I could help.