What's this sound (2.0TFSi Quattro)

~RS~

Reaction score
Was @ a showroom yesterday to test drive a 2.0TFSi quattro. It hadn't been warmed up before being driven and upon lifting the bonnet I heard the a strange sound coming from the alternator side of the engine bay.

I'm a complete newb when it comes to mechanics, so haven't a clue if it's something bad or something easily fixed like a belt change. Any help would be cool. It seemed to drive fine, but it was a short cruise as was at one of those car supermarkets. Sales man didn't have a clue either as to what it maybe, just wanted to assure me it could be sorted pre buying it.

I'll try and attach the vid, dodgy quality but sound is good enough, this was when it was first started from cold. Excuse the camera moving all over the place I was trying to identify where the sound was coming from.

I test drove a S3 that did that, exactly the same. It got better when it was warm but i didnt fancy it to be honest. Only 2000 miles as well. Water pump ?

Sounds like a pully or bearing noise of some sort. In this very cold weather all sorts of strange noises can be expected.

These engines do make some funny noises, whilst I was checking out a mates 8P S3 & doing mods for him, his was making some noises same area & also on a new MY10 I heard same area noises, reminds me of the old clicking noise of the 8L S3 I had, perfectly normal, think was something to do with charcoal filter or something or other, but never caused me an issue.

Thanks 4 the replies. Might have 2 give it a miss if i cant work.out the cause. Pita trying to get a decent spec 2.0TFSi with pan roof! Interesting some of you have heard it B4 so many common faults/ issues with these A3's!

Yeah but dont think anybody said it was actually a fault, remember cold weather has an effect on rubber, belts & pulleys, so could just be this needs a good warm run, like I said it seems there is an inherent noise these engines make anyway much in the same way the 8L did aswell.

Thanks 4 the replies. Might have 2 give it a miss if i cant work.out the cause. Pita trying to get a decent spec 2.0TFSi with pan roof! Interesting some of you have heard it B4 so many common faults/ issues with these A3's!

Panoramic Roof is absolutely superb on the Sportback. Hating not having one on the Audi Loan car. Although the Pan Roof costs over £1000 (after discount) we have always managed to recover £5-600 on re-sale after 3 or so years. Quite surprised they aren't more popular as they transform the car IMHO.

Sounds like the Alternator pulley Tensioner has gone to me, Especially as that's what you've honed in on with the camera. I've had mine go in the past and that's exactly what it sounded like.

I had a quote from Audi for £240 but went to a local garage and they done it for £130.

Yep, lad at work had one go on his S3. Exact same sound. He had it done under warrenty as the car was only a year old.

Thanks guys this forum rocks!!! :rock:

NHN, this is the problem when not being mechanically minded the slightest squeak give turns you off a car! Well does me anyway... I was reading posts on my phone on the way to pick up me fbmfsw :eyebrows: stuck in a shedload of traffic so may have skipped what you said above. So you've heard similar on a n MY10 that was pretty fresh, and an S3 too... so it is another on of these niggling £200-£300 problems! Lol...

Schizer! Better give them a call to stick my deposit down on it then, I'm going to see if they'll let me take it to a mechanic that has done lots of work on mine on my next test drive and allow me to withdraw deposit based on what he finds... Can only try.

Getting the flywheel replaced under warranty for that noise, but I wasn't given any details.

NHN, this is the problem when not being mechanically minded the slightest squeak give turns you off a car! Well does me anyway... So you've heard similar on a n MY10 that was pretty fresh, and an S3 too...

Know that feeling all to well, tbh mine makes a similar noise & just to test I squirted a tiny bit of wd on the belt area & the noise disappeared straight away, note this is in cold weather aswell mate & has been same for long time now, noticed it recently as weather has been shockingly colder across EU huh & yes noticed similar noises in that area on an 07 & 10 S3.

As long as they can sort it out, and nothing else is found I may well take it. Car's a Manual which I haven't had since my first 8L 1.8T but wasn't so bad (he says living in London!). We'll see how it turns out as the current one had me smiling on the motor way today, the diesel is in it's element on motor way journeys.

What else can go wrong of the DMF is failing GConn?

Just to clarify things, I don't mean the louder noise, but the metalic noise in the backround. I can email you a wave file if you want. Photobucket won't let me upload .wav files

As long as they can sort it out, and nothing else is found I may well take it. Car's a Manual which I haven't had since my first 8L 1.8T but wasn't so bad (he says living in London!). We'll see how it turns out as the current one had me smiling on the motor way today, the diesel is in it's element on motor way journeys.

If I was you I'd look around for a dsg mate cause I know all to well driving around town in a manual (albeit not 4wd) is a real fecking pita especially there, dsg is a blessing for these places or get an stronic S3, job done.

I've got a 2.0TFSI and since this really cold weather started it sounds like someone has emptied a bag of nails into my engine.
But as the weather temperature climbs the noises are lessing.

Noticed an increase in cabin noise/rattles/etc too. But these are also disappearing as the weather warms up.

And yes, DSG = wonderful.
However, on a REALLY cold start the other day I put it in reverse, waited the usual half a second for it to engage, pressed the accelerator.... nothing but revs.
Another half a second later...... the car tried to throw me through the windscreen.

My car really doesn't like the cold.

Lmao! Aythreee... I know the feeling, as you guys say though - the DSG is very nice warts n' all.

Well seems the noise didn't put someone else off as they snapped it up! Either that or the salesman warmed it up pre check this time ;)

Got a few more test drives lined up for this week, 2.0TFSi DSG, 3.2 quattro DSG. Probably will end up getting DSG again, for the reasons you state Nige. Though I don't fancy spending £25K+ on a decent spec S-tronic with pan roof seeing as new one around the corner. I've got an itch that needs scratching all the same! More speed n control, pan roof and a few mods (poss stage 2 with Quaife if 2.0) that will do the trick! But that's another thread!

Cheers guys :)

Yeah I wouldnt mind pan roof & the roof rails on an S3 SB tbh, I think its possible, but finding combo is almost unheard of arrgghhh & for me dsg is the way forward for all my cars now.