Increased stationery RPM's on 2007 2.0 TDi (140) ?

Kriminal

Reaction score
Anybody else getting this ?

It's fairly random, but have found that it's mainly since the temperature's dropped (had it before the snow) :

Basically, the car usually sits on 800 rpm, but has decided to increase to 1000 rpm at random moments AFTER I've driven off and pulled up at lights, or stopped in traffic.

The strange thing is, it's not ALL the time.

I bought some Redex a while back, hoping that this may help, or do the trick. It did 'seem' to do the job, although it may have been pure coincidence - which I believe it to be, as it's started doing it again.

There are no lights coming on the dash display. So just wondering if any other diesels out there are getting this, and what it all means ?

It kinda speaks to me like the old days when you used to have to use the manual choke, and the car would rev high for a while, until the engine settled. It's just odd that it doesn't happen when you START the car.

Sounds like the DPF regenerating to me but I didn't think the DPF was fitted to the 140 in 2007 - could be wrong though.

I get this on my '04 2.0tdi. Only seems to do it when the engines cold so I just assumed it was down to some sort of choke as you mentioned. Like yours, mine only seems to do it AFTER i've actually driven it down the road, so not really sure! I dont seem to have had any problems with the car though, it did it last year and again this year. A few of my mates newer cars do it as well, so wouldn't have thought its anything to worry about!

Could be wrong though :)

Thanks guys. That's a bit of a relief Dec. I've not had it happen on a car before, apart from the older choke models, but just wanted to make sure I'm not alone on this. Still, the car still runs fine, so I'll not go panicking yet.

Vertigo1 : You're right, in one way, my 140 don't have DPF - just the manual gear shift. ;)

Thanks guys. That's a bit of a relief Dec. I've not had it happen on a car before, apart from the older choke models, but just wanted to make sure I'm not alone on this. Still, the car still runs fine, so I'll not go panicking yet.

Vertigo1 : You're right, in one way, my 140 don't have DPF - just the manual gear shift. ;)

I dont get this issue! put vag on it and check for faults,check what coolant temp is stated in vag-com,although it maybe showing 90 (half way) on your instrument cluster,it may not be showing that in vag,it wont come up as a fault....IVE pm'd you!

hi, got the same issue on my 2.0 tdi [140] bhp. these models dont have DPF fitted to them. must be a reason for this happening?

It`s a slight design fault in the engine, To raise the rpm via vagcom i have copied a post that mike foster did so all credit is to him:
This is for version 908 :-
Ignition on - engine off

Select Engine controller 01
Select Measuring blocks 08
Select 'Go' in Group 1
Start Engine ( you may be able to start engine earlier but I don't )
Hit 'Turbo' button at top of page
Select 'Done'
Select Adaptation - 10
Change channel to 06 and hit 'Read'

First figure shows actual rpm
Stored value shows rpm as originally set ( mine is 840 )
New value will show same figure

Use up/down buttons to change revs and when happy press 'Test' to see if ok

If ok then hit 'Save' and close otherwise fiddle around with revs and test until happy.