New Tyres for 8P S3

SafTT

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I need some new FRONT tyres for my 2009 Audi S3 Sportback

Currently have Bridgestones all round (225 40 R18 92Y)

Should I stick with the same make to keep things consistent or are there any other makes to consider

NB: As its my company car I have to stick to either Michelin, Bridgestones or Continental

Thanks in advance
Saf

Ideally you should stick to the same all round on a 4WD car,to avoid imbalances in grip,although there are plenty who will say and do otherwise.
The Bridgestones are amongst the worst performance tyres I've ever used,and I would never go back to those,and I've used Goodyear F1 Assymetrics,which are excellent tyres but wear very quickly,and also Michelin PS3s which are as good in terms of grip,but wear much better.

S3Alex is right about 'ideally' having same tyres all around and it used to be advised by Audi but I am told that it is no longer so critical, particularly where there is a FWD bias you are going to wear out fronts before the rears. Best solution is to assume you are going to get 14-20k miles depending on tyres and driving and swap them around half way through.
In my experience... worst on an 8P2 2.0TFSI Quattro on 17in wheels Dunlops was 6000 on the front. Best so far on Michelins last 8P3 23000 miles on 18 in Michelins.
Continentals are good value at present as are Avon ZZ3's but don't know about wear.

with regards to grip, I had bridgestones for the original spec, worst tyre I have ever had for wet grip and for snow etc.

Have conti's now and grip is better, I have a loan A5 at mo with bridgestones on and I now remember how bad they were, If you can get away with it change all 4 tryes for Mich's or conti's.

As above; you should if possible use the same tyres all round - if your changing all 4 i use Conti Sport 3's. First set lasted around 18,000 miles and current set around 19,000 miles with a few K's to go. Not a bad tyre either for around £100 per corner.

Contis seem to have the best balance of price vs wear at the moment and the Cont Sport 3's are really good.

Last 2 sets have been GY Eagle F1 Assys. Excellent alround tyres but dont last as long as would like.

Car is on its 3rd set of tyres (2 of them sets GY F1 Assys), rears fitted last week, fronts about 5m, car has done 32K miles and doesnt have a particularly hard life.

The ATS fitter tried to convince me to fit Pirellis claiming they had better wear/performance combo.

Cheers
Paul

Just changed mine today..had sportcontact2's which lasted me 14k..they weren't bad tyres but I have now changed them to what I had on my previous cars..michelins..love them! Bit pricey but so grippy!

I found the ContiSport Contact 3s a bit of a choppy ride, so swapped for Goodyear F1 asymmetrics, which were much better and £110 a corner. Neither lasted me too long... :racer:

Need tyres again now, so tried to get Conti Sport Contact 5s, but not yet available in 225/40/R18 size, so getting Michelin PS3s for £130 each as I'd heard good things & fancied a change.

The tyre reviews I read all seem to rate them differently. Depends on the car I suppose. It's down to personal preference again I guess...

My S3 came with Bridgstone's. I couldn't believe how bad that tyre was. I have also used Conti 3 and currently on Michelin PS3.
Overall conti 3's are very good. PS3's are good too, with strongest point being steering response. Either Contis or PS3's are good.

I have heard good reports of PS 3 but pricey in comparison to Contis. Had PS2 Primacy?? I think they were called something like that and they were brilliant.