The ultimate A3 2.0 litre Tdi

all that torque and 8.1sec 0-62? Not much quicker than a standard a3 2.0 tdi is it?

[ QUOTE ]
MateloT said:
all that torque and 8.1sec 0-62? Not much quicker than a standard a3 2.0 tdi is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Audi Driver have tested the A3 2.0Tdi a couple of times and both times they have managed a sub 8sec sprint!!!! But I would imagine getting the car off the line with all that torque is going to be a b!tch and the in gear times will be more significant

When I went out on my test drive trying to get off the line quickly was a bit tricky - seemed to hit 2K and then sping, change gear and spin... This carried on until I was out of 3rd. I guess with a bit of practice it becomes easier not helped by the fact I am used to driving 4 wheel drive and launching the car is dead easy - turn ESP off, dial in 4K revs and popped the clutch and BANG your off up the road.

J.

I'm obviously getting old - I've been driving my new sportback 2.0tdi (gently) and enjoying it immensly. The appeal of "chipping" just doesn't do it for me. Apart from the fact that (having recently got an sp30)opportunities to put that much power to use are extremely limited in these parts at least (s.e. essex - roads are clogged and littered with cameras/dorks),the prospect of voiding my warranty, increasing my premiums and probably reducing fuel consumption and increasing engine wear just don't stack up. Also, it does seem to me, that Audi must spend an enormous amount of money on researching and developing engines with an optimum performance curve, balancing aforementioned characteristics i.e. power v engine longevity/fuel consumption. Why would I want put the future of my expensive and beatiful new car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif into the hands of, by comparison, rank amateurs?

I could not agree more. I like my Audi as Audi intended even though I take my car to Germany each year, with it's unrestricted (speed wise) sections of autobahn. My A3 will cruise quite happily at 100-120mph which seems about right for the conditions.

Each to his own, but mine will stay as supplied.

The torque figure equates to more than 350lb/ft of torque, which I think is far too much for an FWD car. Our standard 2.0TDI Sportback spins its wheels in third on only slightly damp roads, so I think this conversion would make it too unruly for everyday use. Would work well with 4WD however.

As for whether the diesel should be chipped, obviously this is down to personal taste but there's no doubting the extra performance it provides (assuming you can use it all). The Superchips website has some PDF articles on several VAG cars tested by Diesel Car magazine, which even at "mere" 185bhp-levels of tune deliver astonishing performance times.

benw 123

I understand from the grapevine that the 2.0 litre tdi is to be uprated soon to 160 Bhp...given that mine gave 153 bhp as a standard engine, then we must be in the 175 Bhp area for a standard one out of the factory. Not so far short of my Superchipped one!

Peter

benw123 said:

"As for whether the diesel should be chipped, obviously this is down to personal taste but there's no doubting the extra performance it provides (assuming you can use it all). The Superchips website has some PDF articles on several VAG cars tested by Diesel Car magazine, which even at "mere" 185bhp-levels of tune deliver astonishing performance times".

Yes and it is well within the design capabilities of the chassis and very enjoyable to drive. Audi did not design the car to just be able to cope with the bog standard 2.0 litre tdi and the 3.2 V6. They will be looking a lot further ahead to when the standard diesel will be producing 200 bhp and 450 nm torque, with over 55 mpg the normal. This is progress as they say. Far more poweful motors will be out as standard soon anyway (see statement about 160 Bhp tdi).

As an aside, did you see Top Gear where they raced modern standard off the shelf production cars against the state of the rally cars from 20 years ago. Interesting results....where will we be in 5 to 10 years time?

Peter

[ QUOTE ]
Broadmarsh said:
Yes and it is well within the design capabilities of the chassis and very enjoyable to drive. Audi did not design the car to just be able to cope with the bog standard 2.0 litre tdi and the 3.2 V6. They will be looking a lot further ahead to when the standard diesel will be producing 200 bhp and 450 nm torque, with over 55 mpg the normal. This is progress as they say. Far more poweful motors will be out as standard soon anyway (see statement about 160 Bhp tdi).

[/ QUOTE ]
Totally agree; but my point is that a FWD chassis will struggle to put all its power down at figures above 200bhp or 300lb/ft. Over that, 4WD makes more sense - which is what the proposed 160bhp diesel will probably feature anyway.

I hope your right with the 160 quattro but how would this affect the new golf gti 160 diesel front wheel drive which is due in the summer.

benw123

said:
"Totally agree; but my point is that a FWD chassis will struggle to put all its power down at figures above 200bhp or 300lb/ft. Over that, 4WD makes more sense - which is what the proposed 160bhp diesel will probably feature anyway".

Let's wait and see......wagers! Perhaps the next one in 2 years time for me will be 4WD!

Peter

Quote: "As an aside, did you see Top Gear where they raced modern standard off the shelf production cars against the state of the rally cars from 20 years ago. Interesting results....where will we be in 5 to 10 years time?"

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

"The day after tomorrow"??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Quote: "As an aside, did you see Top Gear where they raced modern standard off the shelf production cars against the state of the rally cars from 20 years ago. Interesting results....where will we be in 5 to 10 years time?"

yeah its scary how far weve come in so little time.

Well, not that scary. Remember, those cars tested weren't faster in the straight line, but instead in the corners. I think that's the right direction in car development, if drivers don't outdoit with added active security.

- Yak

[ QUOTE ]
Yak said:
Well, not that scary. Remember, those cars tested weren't faster in the straight line, but instead in the corners. I think that's the right direction in car development, if drivers don't outdoit with added active security.

- Yak

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true, car manufacturers are a bit like computer makers in a way, they have the potential too release well over 200 bhp 2.0 tdi's now, they just dont otherwise they wont be able too sell cars building upto that spec, hence, less money!!! i used too work for a well known pharmaceutical company, they have a cure for ashtma but they dont release it or they wont make their billions from the inhalers, they will probably release in a few more years.

you can get the evo 8 with 400 bhp now, there is no reason why other manufactuers can't release a 400 bhp 2l turbo with that much power, they just dont because it would screw them for years too come as they would have development on it.

Strange, considering mine got beat to 100 by an 1800 focus zetec, not much in it mind, but it still got whooped! That was with 5000 miles on the clock so it was fully run in.

[ QUOTE ]
thewizkid said:
Strange, considering mine got beat to 100 by an 1800 focus zetec, not much in it mind, but it still got whooped! That was with 5000 miles on the clock so it was fully run in.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is said that diesels are not "run in for at least 15000 miles".....not my statement you understand....the trade!

I think there is an art to driving a diesel, and a bit of luck. Mine seems a bit temperamental, and is quite difficult to nail properly. With a petrol engine it's quite easy - nail the throttle and rev the bejesus out of it.

I think 15,000 miles is too earlier. I think it's more like 30k! My dad's 1,9TDI has 35k and is just run in. My 2.0TDI has 13k, and is just starting to loosen up. I think it needs at least another 10k before it is properly run in.

Agree about manufacturers holding back. Not only are they drip feeding us to maximise their profits, but imagine the affect on petrol car sales would be if a diesel was the fastest model they produced?

3.2 sales and residuals aren't great as things stand, so what would a 200bhp diesel do to them - especially if they could make it as quiet as Honda/PSA seem to able to make theirs?

Then again, they don't take out everything from petrol engines either, so why would they from diesels. And what would it mean in the long-run? Diesel-engines with maximum of 200tkm per engine. That wouldn't be good for reputation. Or gearbox breaking up every 50tkm. No-no.

Manufacturers don't make diesel engines slower in purpose, diesels already outsell petrol engines in Germany for example. Diesel engines have no foothold in some countries on the other hand, and new diesel engines haven't changed it at all.

There's a certain point after which they become too unreliable, for every engine, both petrol and diesel. Manufacturers need to decide, will they make cars more expensive and get more power, or take less power and make the car a bit cheaper. You can't have both in one engine.

- Yak

Karcsi said

"I think there is an art to driving a diesel, and a bit of luck. Mine seems a bit temperamental, and is quite difficult to nail properly. With a petrol engine it's quite easy - nail the throttle and rev the bejesus out of it.

I think 15,000 miles is too earlier. I think it's more like 30k! My dad's 1,9TDI has 35k and is just run in. My 2.0TDI has 13k, and is just starting to loosen up. I think it needs at least another 10k before it is properly run in".

The answer for driving the diesel is to just use the torque band and short shift as they say...this gives you the in-gear acceleration (see the Superchips report), but at the expense of the 0 to 60 mph time.

Yep! I agree! I always think 30k is about the correct mileage to run one in! Perhaps the wording running it in is incorrect....it takes that long to loosen it up!

HEY! This thread is going well for "The ultimate A3 2.0 litre TDI" post!