My06 a3 3.2 just gone wrong! Help

TAC

Reaction score
Driving down the road in bristol and all of a sudden eng man light on lumpy idle like it's running on 3 cylinders and a rattle coming from the passenger side of the engine!!

Any advice as to what it is hoping it's not the dreaded CAM chain issue but preparing for the worst!! Is it safe to carry on my drive home slowly?

Thanks

Oh no!

I'd say probably don't drive it. Similar thing happened on my Elise - down to 2 cylinders. Petrol got forced past the piston rings. Also ended up with unburnt fuel dripping out the pipes. In retrospect I was lucky it didnt end up as a fireball.

Good luck mate.

Not good, it does sound Cam chain related if it's down that side, maybe be one of the VVT's?
I know I wouldn't drive it like that as you could be doing more harm.

Was staying local at the gfs her dd is a mechanic and is bribing home his diagnostic kit. Noticed a smell of petrol on the inside of the oil filler cap so thinking the coil pack may have gone will be doing diagnostic check soon. Thanks for all advice so far will keep you posted

Think the smell of petrol in the oil comes from the unburned fuel in the non functioning cylinders getting forced past the piston rings. That was the explanation I got on the Elise.

I'd say coil pack. Happened to me in the summer. Ran like a bag of nuts, changed them and all issues resolved. Good luck

Right thanks for all the advice was just one of the coils packed up the ceramic had cracked. Now replaced just need to change the oil and filter as petrol got past the cylinder. So all good and don't now have to cancel Christmas!!!

Good news!

You haven't managed to stop me wanting a 3.2

;-)

Good, nothing could put me off owning mine she's great. Power and sound something you don't get from a four pot!

Go out get one I'd advise getting one of the later ones as they are less likely to suffer the cam issues others have had.

Great car great fun and they thend to come with all the toys happy days!

Good news, surprising how something that sounds catastrophic can actually be quite simple.........result!!

Know what it sounds like now, had a coil pack go on me yesterday it had snapped clean in two! luckily I had a spare in the drawer in preparation:thumbsup:

Its not good when one goes is it!!! Glad you got it sorted and handy you had one in the drawer!!!! lol

Yeah, was left over from the big 3.2 hesitation hunt. It's quite surprising how bad 5 cylinders sounds, certainly not like the quattro of old lol!