Monster MotorsportChris Nott
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sub39h

Thread: Fitted Dension IPod kit - picture guide.

6th Gear

Status

Fitted Dension IPod kit - picture guide.

For a while the missus has wanted an Ipod connector in the A3 and finally got round to sorting one out.

Decided on going for the Dension kit after reading good reviews on this forum.

I got the Symphony II headunit so i bought Dension GW16AC2 gateway 100 which has also text output on the DIS. I paid 127 for it which also included the Ipod docking kit however i only used the cable.

Anyway fitting it was really easy. I'll start from the beginning.

I rang Audi first to see if they could remove my headunit for me as i didn't have the proper release keys (and i have read that the ebay ones are crap). I was put through to the workshop supervisor and he said i could nip it down and they'd do it there and then, however as i wasn't able to get down to the dealership until the next day and as he was finishing that day for xmas he said he would drop the release keys off at my work and i could pop them down when i finished with them.

So 30mins later security rang and said someone had dropped off some stereo keys! Hows that for service?!

So back to the fitting of the kit.

Firstly there is an earth lead on the kit which needs to be connected up so i soldered a ring connector on it.

Next was to release the stereo from the dash - with the proper keys it was soooooo easy!

I then removed the glovebox inorder to feed the ipod docking cable through - this depends on where you want to store your ipod, i like mine hidden away. I drilled a hole just big enough for the cable to fit through.

Pull out the stereo. The wiring harness is quite long so you can pull the stereo out enough to rest it near the gear knob.

I then removed the bolt shown in the picture on the bottom right hand side, i used this as an earthing point for the Dension kit, replace the bolt with the earth connected.

Remove the plug from the stereo and replace it with the red connector from the Dension kit, the plug you have just removed then goes into the other part of the dension kit.

Connect the Ipod docking cable to the dension box and tuck the box away so that the stereo can go back in.

Put the stereo back in place but don't push it home yet as its best to check if everything works ok before having to release the stereo out the dash if its not working as it should.

Refit the glovebox and stereo once you are happy with it.

Here's mine finished.

Track names are displayed on the DIS and i can use the buttons and scrolly things on the steering wheel to control the tracks, albums etc.

Overall really really pleased with it as it was easy to fit (45min job in the dark) and it works really well. Best thing is that it displays all the track names etc.

Price is quite steep for the kit but its good quality and does what it says so well worth it.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Really handy guide.. Will prove useful in the next few months!
    8P Audi A3 2.0TDI Quattro Sport - what a change from my 1.0L CorsaC!!!

follow me on Twitter - Jonay1990 for #Photography #Aviation #Mil #Automotive #Subsea

6th Gear

Status
    awesome. i was thinking about getting RNS-E 2010 and AMI just for the track display, but seeings as this does it too... do you know if they make an RNS-E version? and compatible with iPhone? if they do it'll save me 200 odd stumping for the OEM AMI...
    matt123890 likes this.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

2nd Gear

Status
    nice one mate i found mine a bugger to get back behind the unit as i have the 300 densionmodel - its slightly bigger!!

:)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    awesome. i was thinking about getting RNS-E 2010 and AMI just for the track display, but seeings as this does it too... do you know if they make an RNS-E version? and compatible with iPhone? if they do it'll save me 200 odd stumping for the OEM AMI...
    Yes they are compatible with iPhone plus they work on rnse units too check on the dension website where they show you what HU's are compatible, I too am going to get one, I also have the RNSE on my to do list they are interchangeable between HU's and RNSE I believe

6th Gear

Status
    I am selling my iPod kit, the one in the above guide, it's obviously in as new condition. Anyone interested? If so please pm me.

Neutral

Status
    PM sent.

2006 Black A3 Sportback 2.0TFsi Quattro S-Line

6th Gear

Status

TFSI Addict...

Status
    Good write up mate. I was lucky enough to twist the dealers arm when buying mine and get the Audi iPod connection thrown in for free! It's a thing you soon learn you can't live without.
    '59 A3 Sportback 1.8 T FSI Sport S-Tronic Ibis White

5th Gear

Status
    I've just bought the GW16AU2 (used not new) and there doesn't appear to be a seperate earth wire as above. Other than that it is identical to the unit pictured. Is this normal or am I going to have a problem?

6th Gear

Status
    The DIS display didn't work when the earth wasn't connected up on mine.

Neutral

Status
    I've just installed a GW16AC1 for my Concert 2+ head unit. That didn't come with a separate earth either (not that I could see anyway!). I just plugged it in and it works perfectly well, no problems with DIS.

5th Gear

Status
    I've unwrapped the wires on the adapter I've bought. One of the orange wires has been cut and fed into a connector, the other end has been fed into a connector along with the earth. These have then been connected to each other and pvc wrapped. Is this safe? will it work ok?

The seller said he bought it like that and has used it for a year without problems - return it or fit it?

Thanks

Neutral

Status
    If you have the IPOD dock fitted as standard can you add the Dension into this so you have a neat solution in the glove box.

1st Gear

Status
    I've got the factory fitted iPod dock but how does the Dension 100 connect onto it?

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozski View Post
    nice one mate i found mine a bugger to get back behind the unit as i have the 300 densionmodel - its slightly bigger!!
    if you have the 300 don't you need it to be accessible in case you want to use the usb port??

2nd Gear

Status
    it comes with a usb lead pal - mine is in the glove box

Neutral

Status
    Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    can you control the ipod,ie skip tracks from one of these kits?
    L6rth

Vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    I need one of these kits hooked up to my RNS-E
    Audi A3 2.0tdi S Line - Xenons, RNS-E, Bose, Black & Grey duo leather, MY11 rear lights, Shark Performance remap 183 bhp, Optics Grill with American plate delete, S3 Pedals, S3 vents, Weitec Coilovers, MY11 Black Edition FBSW

Neutral

Status
    I'm also selling one, with harness, its the Denison 100, will just plug and play on 2007 on, or maybe before... PM me if interested. Had it fitted to RNS-E with Bose and Symphony

Daz.
    Last edited by DaztheGuv; 28th August 2011 at 11:20. Reason: Alteration to message