Fitted Dension IPod kit - picture guide.

RobinA3

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
For a while the missus has wanted an Ipod connector in the A3 and finally got round to sorting one out.

Decided on going for the Dension kit after reading good reviews on this forum.

I got the Symphony II headunit so i bought Dension GW16AC2 gateway 100 which has also text output on the DIS. I paid £127 for it which also included the Ipod docking kit however i only used the cable.

Anyway fitting it was really easy. I'll start from the beginning.

I rang Audi first to see if they could remove my headunit for me as i didn't have the proper release keys (and i have read that the ebay ones are crap). I was put through to the workshop supervisor and he said i could nip it down and they'd do it there and then, however as i wasn't able to get down to the dealership until the next day and as he was finishing that day for xmas he said he would drop the release keys off at my work and i could pop them down when i finished with them.

So 30mins later security rang and said someone had dropped off some stereo keys! Hows that for service?!

So back to the fitting of the kit.

Firstly there is an earth lead on the kit which needs to be connected up so i soldered a ring connector on it.
6c77fac3.jpg

Next was to release the stereo from the dash - with the proper keys it was soooooo easy!
6d6627d1.jpg

I then removed the glovebox inorder to feed the ipod docking cable through - this depends on where you want to store your ipod, i like mine hidden away. I drilled a hole just big enough for the cable to fit through.
cba27299.jpg

69f5f0fb.jpg

Pull out the stereo. The wiring harness is quite long so you can pull the stereo out enough to rest it near the gear knob.

I then removed the bolt shown in the picture on the bottom right hand side, i used this as an earthing point for the Dension kit, replace the bolt with the earth connected.
387576c2.jpg

63edd728.jpg

Remove the plug from the stereo and replace it with the red connector from the Dension kit, the plug you have just removed then goes into the other part of the dension kit.
32d806dc.jpg

Connect the Ipod docking cable to the dension box and tuck the box away so that the stereo can go back in.

Put the stereo back in place but don't push it home yet as its best to check if everything works ok before having to release the stereo out the dash if its not working as it should.

Refit the glovebox and stereo once you are happy with it.

Here's mine finished.
c2e5dd3a.jpg

Track names are displayed on the DIS and i can use the buttons and scrolly things on the steering wheel to control the tracks, albums etc.
c87e6b51.jpg

Overall really really pleased with it as it was easy to fit (45min job in the dark) and it works really well. Best thing is that it displays all the track names etc.

Price is quite steep for the kit but its good quality and does what it says so well worth it.

Really handy guide.. Will prove useful in the next few months!

awesome. i was thinking about getting RNS-E 2010 and AMI just for the track display, but seeings as this does it too... do you know if they make an RNS-E version? and compatible with iPhone? if they do it'll save me £200 odd stumping for the OEM AMI...

Reactions: matt123890
nice one mate i found mine a ****** to get back behind the unit as i have the 300 densionmodel - its slightly bigger!!

awesome. i was thinking about getting RNS-E 2010 and AMI just for the track display, but seeings as this does it too... do you know if they make an RNS-E version? and compatible with iPhone? if they do it'll save me £200 odd stumping for the OEM AMI...

Yes they are compatible with iPhone plus they work on rnse units too check on the dension website where they show you what HU's are compatible, I too am going to get one, I also have the RNSE on my to do list they are interchangeable between HU's and RNSE I believe

I am selling my iPod kit, the one in the above guide, it's obviously in as new condition. Anyone interested? If so please pm me.

Good write up mate. I was lucky enough to twist the dealers arm when buying mine and get the Audi iPod connection thrown in for free! It's a thing you soon learn you can't live without.

I've just bought the GW16AU2 (used not new) and there doesn't appear to be a seperate earth wire as above. Other than that it is identical to the unit pictured. Is this normal or am I going to have a problem?

The DIS display didn't work when the earth wasn't connected up on mine.

I've just installed a GW16AC1 for my Concert 2+ head unit. That didn't come with a separate earth either (not that I could see anyway!). I just plugged it in and it works perfectly well, no problems with DIS.

I've unwrapped the wires on the adapter I've bought. One of the orange wires has been cut and fed into a connector, the other end has been fed into a connector along with the earth. These have then been connected to each other and pvc wrapped. Is this safe? will it work ok?

The seller said he bought it like that and has used it for a year without problems - return it or fit it?

Thanks

If you have the IPOD dock fitted as standard can you add the Dension into this so you have a neat solution in the glove box.

I've got the factory fitted iPod dock but how does the Dension 100 connect onto it?

nice one mate i found mine a ****** to get back behind the unit as i have the 300 densionmodel - its slightly bigger!!

if you have the 300 don't you need it to be accessible in case you want to use the usb port??

it comes with a usb lead pal - mine is in the glove box

I'm also selling one, with harness, its the Denison 100, will just plug and play on 2007 on, or maybe before... PM me if interested. Had it fitted to RNS-E with Bose and Symphony

Daz.

Last edited: